Han Solo Holster - Screen Accurate Pattern

Hey man, you got this. I know that when I feel like I've gotten behind on something that other people are interested in, whether it's a personal or a professional thing, my tendency is to avoid it out of guilt, which of course just compounds the problem. Judging purely by the number of emails that aren't replied to at my work, I'm not very unique in this.

You're making progress, which is awesome, and you don't actually owe anything to anyone on this. A lot of folks will appreciate it once you're done, and in the meantime, people can go with other options, even practicing on their own patterns if they like. Finishing projects is hard, life is hard, keep focused on the progress you're making and you'll make it to the end.

good day, no worries here. i have followed this thread for quite awhile and its your grail! i dont expect anything from you but i do look forward to anything you choose to post :) i understand this is a work of the love you have for the belt and to do the best job you can with it, sometimes you get overwhelmed. so do i sometimes, plus all the regular day to day stuff that demands our attention.
you keep doing what you do at the pace your comfortable with and i will be here to keep reading and learning and someday it will again be my own stuff that takes a backseat to try my hand at leather work :cool: hope you have a great day and stay safe

Just to add to that sentiment, what you posted so far was enough for me to make my belt, so I'm insanely grateful and am happy to wait as long as it takes to find out exactly how badly wrong I got it!

This is epic! Another massive thread that didn't go sour, or completely off the reservation via derail!

I'm new here, but I've been on a few forums (moderate on one) over the last 20 years and this place really impresses me. The overall air of professionalism and respect for other opinions is a model our government could certainly learn from...

Anyway, like everyone else in this thread, I am patiently awaiting the ANH pattern.(not nearly as long as some) I know, after reading it all, that there are four patterns planned now, but I only want the first, original pattern. That's it! And if I can help, I'll help. I don't do 3-D modeling, other than making things on a lathe and/or mill. I'm pretty good a 2-d drafting on the computer, and a snappy dresser to boot.

I really want to finally scratch the itch of the first Han Solo costume I saw on the big screen in '77. And, to quote Hnter S. Thompson: "If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing right." So, let's circle the wagons and get this one in the can.

THANK YOU for doing this. I fear it may never be done, but you need to set a drop-dead date, and stick to it. The last 1% will never materialize, or is lost to the variability of trying to scale off photographs suffering from parallax error from the lenses used. Ya gotta call it "done" at some point, or it just never will be...

PS: what ever happened with your (now empty) CO2 canisters? I have some inbound, and I could send you one if it would help at all.

This thread is invaluable. Truth is the gold is already here within to digest and come to ones own final conclusion. One thing I’ve learned myself over the years of trying to get things “perfect” is you talk with 10 different people you will get 10 different answers on what perfection looks like. Crazylegsmurphy you dedication and attention to detail in this quest is truly epic to be sure and should be commended without question. You dont need to answer to anyone at this point. You‘re a free man of this burden of releasing a pattern for others to follow. This thread is your gift to all us already. The breadcrumbs are within layed out and as a great scoundrel once said... “Here’s where the fun begins!” Cheers mate! Truly.. thank you for starting it.

Here are some 3D printed MJF buckles. They are not fully accurate but it’s more of a test than anything. They work really well..
E563BB33-2F74-4121-8601-B874B26FF352.jpeg
418F9B26-5AD2-43F7-82FD-13F9E362100F.jpeg

Smugglers Holster
v1.0

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. I decided, based on some feedback, to go back and put together a few images to ponder.

Buttons/Disk - Episode IV

Using a screen cap, and using the image posted by Uncharted Leather, I fired up Photoshop and attempted to once again determine some measurements my duplicating the buttons on multiple parts of the holster.

While this is obviously a crude way of doing this, it does help in that I know the standard diameter of the buttons that are available today, and I don't see them using anything custom in 1977.

So, from there, we can visually see how many "button lengths" things are, if we can determine the button size used.

...here is where things get a little bit wonky.

Butt-on...the-other-hand...

Here is a 100% scale image I just put together. (sorry for the size, but I wanted to make sure we weren't being thrown off by scaling issues).

View attachment 437639

So, to break this down.

On the left I have added a 2" belt, along with three potential sizes for the "disk". On the left of each disk (Red) are the 15mm - 0.590" buttons. On the right (Blue) are the 16mm - 0.629" buttons.

This allows us to see exactly how the different sized buttons look on different sized disks. Now, lets hop over to the right.

Here are the two images photoshopped using the cloned buttons. This is where my brain starts jumping back and fourth between what I think, and what I think two minutes later.

If I look at the buttons right next to the disk on both images, I would be convinced the buttons are 16mm. However, if I look at other parts of the holster, I am convinced that the buttons are 15mm.

Now, I could go off on a bunch of theories as to why they look different, but if I had to choose, I would say that the buttons next to the disk on both images point...ever so slightly to 16mm buttons.

Disk-covery

If we can agree that the buttons are in fact 16mm - 0.629" then we can turn our attention to the disk itself.

To my eyes, there is no way the disk is 1", or over 1.25". When I look at the buttons on top of the disk, I see that the hight of the disk is slightly less than the width of two buttons.

View attachment 437640

Here, we have 16mm buttons, compared to a 30.16mm - 1.1875" disk. Looks pretty close, no?

Right Height

We still haven't looked at the height of the disks, or whether the diameter is the same for the other films, but I think this is a good starting point.

I have been in contact with a popular vendor that sells a version of the disk. He has shown interest in this, and has mentioned that he is open to adjusting his product to be more accurate if we discover something.

I think we are getting there, and I appreciate the help!
The disc is 1.150" diameter. There is an outer "shell" with it, which I did not measure, because I don't think that was used on the belt... But, it increases diameter to 1.185" if you include it in the measurement. (it is a lose fit around the main disc) I think you can see that outer bit on there in the picture...

I really want to get my ANH holster going here, so rather than sit back and whine about it, I'm stepping up to try and help!

Attachments

• IMG_1468[1].JPG
    IMG_1468[1].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 138
I'm in the camp that believes the outer shell WAS used on the disc. There are a few angles where you can see the profile of the circular cutout/relief on the side ... can't remember who posted them/where, though!

I just want to get a ANH holster done. I'm collecting the bits (like the disc, above, and a pile of the CO2 canisters) as well as trying to positively identify the "relays" (if that's what they are) on the belt.

I'm no leather worker, but I can work with metal. So, maybe, if we had some patterns, I would exchange a set of buckles for a set of leathers (or something like that) so I could have a holster, and so could the leather worker. I think stainless steel is the right material to use for the hardware personally. It doesn't have the look of aluminum when I view the pictures or movie.

Looking through the entire thread again, if you wanted to do the ESB version, I think there is enough bread crumbs to figure it out. But there is not as much information about ANH version. Not posted anyway. I'm sure within the secured files, the information exists.

And as a side note, I think the pouches may have been glued. Why? Because they were NOT glued in successive films. I think they failed, and were constantly being repaired, and for the follow up films, they just decided to stitch them, for more durability. This is my opinion, and not based on anything other than what seems like a logical progression.

Some contributors to this thread have done holsters and posted some pictures of fabrication techniques to support their theories. I am going to reach out to some and see where they are at with this.

Thank you again Crazylegs for all your effort. So much, over such a long time, it must be extremely frustration to not get this one "in the can".

The Han Solo ANH holster is definitely not an easy item to pattern. I keep going back to it year after year and it seems like there is always something new to learn that makes me change my pattern.

I still believe the pouches on the ANH holster were set with rivets. For ESB and ROTJ I believe they sewed the pouches on because it was easier than figuring out the spacing for the rivets. Same thing goes for the buckles. It is easy to just rivet the hooks onto the belt instead of making the hooks attach from the back like a screw back concho. I'm really impressed with the 3d version that chubsANDdoggers made!

After spending the day working on a new pattern there is one thing that is very clear to me - I absolutely love the design of this holster!

Han Solo ANH Holster Pattern.jpg

That looks great!

One thing I found ( which may or may not be useful?) was that when I had the y-shaped bit long enough to reach the front buckle while lying flat, it didn't hang right. The holster ended up on the front of my leg.

20180930_121925.jpg

20181002_144519.jpg

I found I had to shorten it like this:

20181101_094812.jpg

... to get it to hang right. Don't know if that's just something peculiar about my body shape but it seems to match this photo more:

360054336_01d6ac500a_o.jpg

I guess everyone's waist/leg size is different but for me the tie down strap had to be in line with the gap between the disc and the empty pouch rather than the gap between the empty pouch and the left hand relay pouch.

Very good advice phillbarron and your holster looks amazing!

Cheers!

I've swapped the machined disc out for a vintage mic since that photo. And the resin boxes for Russian relays.

I made lots of little mistakes but the only one that bothers me is the pouch next to the droid caller being too small. I keep meaning to change it but never seem to get round to it.

Last edited:
I just built a Fieldmarshal steel ANH DL-44 and am looking to make my own holster rig. BTW, I'm also a new member to the RPF and new to prop making. I've gone through this thread (which is really great) but I want to see where this project stands and if anything was ever published? Forgive me if this may have already been asked and answered as I did a lot of skimming because of time limitations. Thanks.

I’ve been a member here long enough to understand the rules on necroposting , but like others, I feel this thread still has legs and needs keeping alive .
I’m starting on ANH belt build , and am hunting for greeblies , anh specific. I have the green sparklets canister, and wondered if the squareish resistor things in the two pouches behind the sparklets tube have ever been identified , or does everyone just “ approximate” them .
Are there any hi res photos of the tops of the resistors ?
Cheers .

I went on a tear a while back to better identify those "things" and came up dry. Spent many hours searching. They are surely aviation components, and I looked down that road. Found several close things bit none that were exact.

The "accepted" correct part is not correct. I modified some prints against the original part photos to approximate them. Good enough.

I have the canisters used for the US shooting (not sparklets) if you are interested.

I’ve been a member here long enough to understand the rules on necroposting , but like others, I feel this thread still has legs and needs keeping alive .
I’m starting on ANH belt build , and am hunting for greeblies , anh specific. I have the green sparklets canister, and wondered if the squareish resistor things in the two pouches behind the sparklets tube have ever been identified , or does everyone just “ approximate” them .
Are there any hi res photos of the tops of the resistors ?
Cheers .
Short answer. No.

There are no hi resolution images I've been able to find and no movement on what they could be. They are likely a relay of some kind, but they could have also just been a part created using various greeblies.

Anovos had a version which, if you accept their vague wording of having, "designed them from screen used, blah blah" then they may have had up close access to them to replicate.

Unfortunately, they still remain a mystery.

Many thanks for the reply . I’ve read this and other threads ( this being the most comprehensive) and am kinda up to speed now.
There’s one other image that I can’t locate . Maybe you have one , to complete my pattern for the actual holster , I could do with a picture of the gun in the holster , showing how deep the trigger guard sinks into the holster . I’m only really interested in new hope . Does this photo exist ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back