Han Solo blaster with sound

smagda64

Jr Member
I haven't posted in a while since I made my ALIEN Nostromo Crew Watch (ALIEN Nostromo Crew Watch). I've completed a few more props for my man cave with the latest being the Han Solo Star Wars: A New Hope blaster.

1-han-solo-blaster.jpg

While there are some really good models available on thingiverse and other websites I wanted to model it myself so when I add the lights and electronics I could make any changes necessary. I used many of the pictures I found on therpf forums as reference as well as photos of the Mauser C96 so I could model it in Autodesk Fusion 360.

2-Fusion_360_screen _shots1-011322.jpg
3-Fusion_360_screen_shots2-011322.jpg

I used an Elegoo Saturn resin printer for all the parts.

4-resin.jpg

It took several days to print all the parts and after a lot of sanding I had an assembled model. At this point, nothing was glued yet because I had to add the electronics.

6-assembeled.jpg

I applied a gray primer and airbrushed the basic colors of black (body), silver (front), brown (grips), and brass (scope).

7-airbrushing.jpg
8-right.jpg
9-left.jpg

Then it was the fun part, I used reference photos of the original prop to apply weathering.

10-left-weathered.jpg
11-right-weathered.jpg

Side view.

12-holding.jpg

Top view.

14-top.jpg

For the scope, I printed clear resin pieces and with my vinyl cutter I made a basic reticle in black vinyl.

13-reticle.jpg

I taught myself how to do basic programming in arduino and put a chip with a microsd card that holds the sounds in the area which would hold a clip in the Mauser. I had to design and make a custom trigger mechanism that would hit a switch to play the blaster sound and turn on the LED bulb in the front. I put an ON/OFF switch and charge port on the bottom so I can charge the lipo battery.

15-port_and_switch.jpg

When it is switched on a startup phrase is said by Han Solo and when the trigger is depressed the LED and blaster sound go on.

I found a nice stand on thingiverse and modded it to fit my prop. I added the text as white vinyl.

20220120_115334 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Great work/results...love the blaster sounds. My only critique: the gun seems too big or it's just me?:unsure:
When I was working on it I wasn't sure if I was getting the size right. I downloaded a few existing model stls and imported their receivers in Fusion and made adjustments to mine. Here it is among my other props for size. Plus, I have small hands.

Attachments

• 20220123_115620 (1).jpg
    20220123_115620 (1).jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
That must be it; very small hand. I don't tend to compare hand size (difficult thing to do from a pic) My hand size is: from the crease of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger: 9" long;)

Impressive modeling on this! I’ve been thinking of doing the same. Nice work!
Thanks. I modeled a bunch of props I wanted to eventually 3d print and have in my man cave. There are a bunch of really good STLs available that I could print but I wanted to do it myself by referencing images I could find on the Internet.

Same. I was fairly anti 3d printing until I started 3d modeling my own stuff again. :)
Which program(s) do you use? I went with Autodesk Fusion 360 (free version) in 2018 because I knew I was going to be dealing with specific dimensions and I liked how you can be very precise and if necessary be able to go back in the timeline to make adjustments.

I use Fusion as well, love it! I used to work in 3D Studio Max over 20 years ago...amazing how much has changed, it's sooooo much simpler to model now! The precision is amazingly useful...the only issue is that because of the iterative design process, I have zillions of blaster parts with .02mm differences laying around. ;)

I use Fusion as well, love it! I used to work in 3D Studio Max over 20 years ago...amazing how much has changed, it's sooooo much simpler to model now! The precision is amazingly useful...the only issue is that because of the iterative design process, I have zillions of blaster parts with .02mm differences laying around. ;)
I also had to make a bunch of prototype parts. In particular, the trigger mechanism because the tiny switch I could place inside needed to be in the exact position to work. The drawback of resin printing I found is after I printed all the parts I needed to used sandpaper to make them fit. It took hours upon hours but once I was done I could slide parts together. Anything that needed to be filled like from where the supports were I just put a small amount of resin on and hit it with an UV flashlight. I used to use other putties but when I do it this way because I'm using the exact same material I can't see the fix.

Very nice work! Very rewarding as well to create something from scratch. The blaster came out beautiful. Presently working on a similar version myself. How brittle is the resin for this print out of curiosity? Resin printing is something I’ve been circling for a while now but the brittleness has keep me a bay..

Very nice work! Very rewarding as well to create something from scratch. The blaster came out beautiful. Presently working on a similar version myself. How brittle is the resin for this print out of curiosity? Resin printing is something I’ve been circling for a while now but the brittleness has keep me a bay..
Thanks. With all the parts printed, painted and the electronics added it does have some weight. But, I had planned to have it sitting on the stand in my man cave. Since I used resin throughout including the scope and mounts I used 5-minute epoxy to try and add some extra rigidity and it does feel solid but I wouldn't bring it to a convention because the torque you can put on it by moving it about could make it creak or even crack. Some of the designs needed thin walls which meant that it could crack under strain but where I could I made the parts solid throughout.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back