HALO 1:1 assault rifle

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tommin @ Jan 6 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]1391829[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 5 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]1391434[/snapback]
Thanks. This is a project I've wanted to do a while and have never gotten past the "planning" stage. These posts may make me get off of my lazy butt and start working :p
Brian
[/b]
Get on with it, then... :p :D

[/b][/quote]

OK, Iwill. :D I went ahead and started cutting plastic this weekend to just, you know, see what we're dealing with here. Nothing too fancy, just a simple mockup. I'll post picks later in the week when I have something more definate to show.

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]1392354[/snapback]</div>
OK, Iwill. :D I went ahead and started cutting plastic this weekend to just, you know, see what we're dealing with here. Nothing too fancy, just a simple mockup. I'll post picks later in the week when I have something more definate to show.
Brian
[/b]
Certainly, I am not the only one that will be looking forward to it. :)

Well, this weapon has got me pretty stoked so I decided to try my hand at drawing again...

sketch.jpg

Just looking for something 'clean' to project onto a block of styro-foam. I may be going the fiberglass route this time. Anyone that has some experience with fiberglass, please feel free to chime in with some pointers. I'll try anything, at least, twice. What you you fellas think so far?

Please feel free to critique my drawing, too. Inaccuracies, proportions, etc.??? It's just a rough sketch but it is most helpful to have fresh eyes take a look at it. Be brutal if you must. Re-doing this part is easy. I've just priced a block of balsa foam and would like to do this up right. :)

I like the way that you showed all of the seperate parts
building it this way makes molding it eaiser and seperate parts
would give it better detail.

As I said before, I would be happy to make the molds of the final
built rifle, Please somebody let me know

Andrew

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tommin @ Jan 7 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1392451[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]1392354[/snapback]
Brian
[/b]

Well, this weapon has got me pretty stoked so I decided to try my hand at drawing again...

sketch.jpg

Just looking for something 'clean' to project onto a block of styro-foam. I may be going the fiberglass route this time. Anyone that has some experience with fiberglass, please feel free to chime in with some pointers. I'll try anything, at least, twice. What you you fellas think so far?
[/b][/quote]

Proportionatly, it looks fine. The front shroud and lamp housing are good too. However, the pistol grip/mag housing is a one piece plastic part that slips over the rear of the main body of the AR. Also, I think the bit on the bottom of the magazine is actually part of the housing and isn't actually part of the mag itself. Here is the parts breakdown as I see it.

[attachmentid=11955]

So you end up with four sizable sub-assemblies; the main body (metal), front shroud, lamp housing and rear grip/mag housing/stock (all plastic). Then you would have the parts that define the assemblies; ammo counter, lamp, trigger, etc.
I think the assembly order would be: 1) rear stock/trigger slides forward, 2) Lamp housing slides up. 3) Front shroud slides back over the barrel and locks in place. If you notice on the bottom of the shroud, there looks to be a pin that holds it and the lamp housing to the main body. At least, thats how it looks to me.

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 8 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]1393198[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tommin @ Jan 7 2007, 02:25 PM) [snapback]1392451[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 7 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]1392354[/snapback]
Brian
[/b]

sketch.jpg

[/b][/quote]

Proportionatly, it looks fine. The front shroud and lamp housing are good too. However, the pistol grip/mag housing is a one piece plastic part that slips over the rear of the main body of the AR. Also, I think the bit on the bottom of the magazine is actually part of the housing and isn't actually part of the mag itself. Here is the parts breakdown as I see it.

[attachmentid=11955]

So you end up with four sizable sub-assemblies; the main body (metal), front shroud, lamp housing and rear grip/mag housing/stock (all plastic). Then you would have the parts that define the assemblies; ammo counter, lamp, trigger, etc.
I think the assembly order would be: 1) rear stock/trigger slides forward, 2) Lamp housing slides up. 3) Front shroud slides back over the barrel and locks in place. If you notice on the bottom of the shroud, there looks to be a pin that holds it and the lamp housing to the main body. At least, thats how it looks to me.

Brian
[/b][/quote]

Brian
Looks good, The ammo clips in the game look flat without the added piece, it makes more sense to carry a flat clip's then clips that are wider at the bottom only.
One suggestion, since there is a flash light May be the builder of the parts can find a working flash light
that is easily found so we can go buy one to install on a possible future kit.

Andrew

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK648 @ Jan 9 2007, 03:07 PM) [snapback]1393785[/snapback]</div>
Brian
Looks good, The ammo clips in the game look flat without the added piece, it makes more sense to carry a flat clip's then clips that are wider at the bottom only.
One suggestion, since there is a flash light May be the builder of the parts can find a working flash light
that is easily found so we can go buy one to install on a possible future kit.

Andrew
[/b]

Well, I guess it's about time I jump in. Not for any good reason, but just because I think this is a cool project that I would like to see get finished :thumbsup :lol

Anyway, I kind of like the idea of the ammo mag having that base part on it for a few different reasons. One, it gives you something to really grab a hold of when you're trying to pull it out. If the clip is buried in the body of the shroud, you only have gravity to rely on in getting it out. This gives you a nice firm grip. Two, I find it to be a bit reminiscent of the ammo magazine from the Aliens pulse rifle.

As for the flashlight, if you build the housing around a maglight mini light, everyone will be able to gt a working flashlight.

-Fred

Got to agree with Gigatron about the mag. You are going to NEED that section on the bottom to give something to grip. Besides from the reloading pics posted earlier that section is shown to be part of the mag.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 9 2007, 07:27 PM) [snapback]1394192[/snapback]</div>
Ok guys, so I wont hi-jack the current thread (which I will keep an eye on for more input) I decided it was time to start another.

Brian
[/b]
You can't hijack this train buddy. This is what I've originally asked for. "Hudson.. Come here.. COME HERE..." :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guardian Devil @ Jan 4 2007, 06:11 PM) [snapback]1390637[/snapback]</div>
Here we go. the pics from the reloading animation in the game. Quite a nice look at it:
Mag-AutoColourCorrection.png

Mag-ManualBrightnessAndContrast.png

[/b]
After staring at these pics, it looks like I was wrong about the mags being straight and unadorned. The section on the bottom is a part of it after all. Yet one item to add to the list of tweaks and changes.

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sith Sheriff Brody @ Jan 9 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]1394265[/snapback]</div>
I am taking this train to Cuba.
[/b]
I had to think about that one for a minute... :lol

Excellent reference montage. Thanks bud.. :)

I'm currently working on a rough study from a projection of my original sketch.

study_2.jpg

This should be fairly easy and cost effective to mock up for the time being. Updates will come later. Comments & questions are always helpful.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back