HalloweenCostumes.com “Back to the Future Hoverboard”

i mean if were talking upgrades we could easily go all out since the base is so cheap at 50 bucks

honeycomb lenticular - http://www.sommers.com/ecommerce/specialties/lenticular-in-rolls-honeycomb/honeycomb-3.jsp (only 10 bucks right now probably need 2 sheets)

the velcro is easily found on ebay search 1 inch 5 yeards sew-on velcro hook and loop tape 1" mixed colors

you could easily print your own decals using this file from roland -

Thank you both for the kind words. I really appreciate it. :)

Now let's continue with my free stuff. Today we turn our attention to the "Mattel Hoverboard".

Since the original one from Mattel, shown at the SDCC, is far from accuracy, I decided to build my own Hoverboard this summer. First step: making the decals for both board versions, the hero board and the stunt board. Of course, the lenticular on my hero board graphics is still just printed, but it looks more real than the pseudo lenticular on the stunt board. And even if you want to use real honeycomb lenticular at your own replica, you can use my hero board graphics: just cut away the printed lenticular. And don't forget the pink and light green velcro stripes on the upper sides of both board versions. ;)

Here are the files. I made A1 full size versions of both boards for those of you, who have access to a large industrial printer, and A3 / US-Tabloid versions for simple home or office printers. At the A3 and US-Tabloid versions each board side is divided into three parts.

And attention: the files are large (20-30 MB each).

The A1 poster size versions:

Stunt board: Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Stunt_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A1.pdf
Hero board: Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Hero_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A1.pdf

The A3 and US-Tabloid size versions:

Stunt board (A3): Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Stunt_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A3.pdf
Stunt board (US-Tabloid): Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Stunt_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_US-Tabloid.pdf

Hero board (A3): Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Hero_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_A3.pdf
Hero board (US-Tabloid): Mattel_Hoverboard_Decals_Hero_Version_remade_by_Roland_Zubcic_US-Tabloid.pdf

Have fun with it. And good luck with your own Hoverboard build. :)

Preview pictures:

The A1 poster size versions:

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105283&stc=1&d=1343361709

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105284&stc=1&d=1343361709

The A3 and US-Tabloid size versions:

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105285&stc=1&d=1343361709

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105286&stc=1&d=1343361709

and theres plenty of people that sell cast parts for hoverboards on ebay as well though youll have to buy the whole set not just the battery pack

i like the color of the stunt more

whats the difference between A3 and US versions?????

Last edited:
i mean if were talking upgrades we could easily go all out since the base is so cheap at 50 bucks

honeycomb lenticular - http://www.sommers.com/ecommerce/specialties/lenticular-in-rolls-honeycomb/honeycomb-3.jsp (only 10 bucks right now probably need 2 sheets)

the velcro is easily found on ebay search 1 inch 5 yeards sew-on velcro hook and loop tape 1" mixed colors

and theres plenty of people that sell cast parts for hoverboards on ebay as well though youll have to buy the whole set not just the battery pack

I'll consider a hero build later. Right now, all I want to do are Mattel stickers, fuzzy strap, battery box for a nice convention board. If you're suggesting I can extract the Mattel logo from Rolands work, that is outside my skill-set. If you're suggesting an entire board decal replacement, only if the factory ones fall off.

The ebay parts run a little large, to my understanding. And I'd rather just replace the battery box since the rest looks good enough.

i like the color of the stunt more

whats the difference between A3 and US versions?????

A3 is a EURO size, US tabloid is a US size that is very close.

I'll consider a hero build later. Right now, all I want to do are Mattel stickers, fuzzy strap, battery box for a nice convention board. If you're suggesting I can extract the Mattel logo from Rolands work, that is outside my skill-set. If you're suggesting an entire board decal replacement, only if the factory ones fall off.

The ebay parts run a little large, to my understanding. And I'd rather just replace the battery box since the rest looks good enough.

A3 is a EURO size, US tabloid is a US size that is very close.
For printers or for the boards?? Lol

Ill stuck with US lol just in case.. If i go that route

Like the HC shoes, I'll be giving this a miss.

For cons this board will be perfect. For a MAG display, it would probably be ideal as well. The price is more realistic, though I only paid $99USD for my Matty board, so not feeling ripped off about that.

Totally agree!

Totally agree!

Problem with that plan is that last time I checked there's only one ebay hoverboard part seller, and it's vacuum-formed parts with low-detail and inaccuracies. You'd actually be taking a step back by replacing the factory discs with those.

If someone here could come up with a battery pack that could slide between the discs, that would be ideal. Users who want to could even blend it into the existing hardware and paint it.

Problem with that plan is that last time I checked there's only one ebay hoverboard part seller, and it's vacuum-formed parts with low-detail and inaccuracies. You'd actually be taking a step back by replacing the factory discs with those.
i wouldnt replace any parts on the board i would only add the battery pack i actually messaged that seller to see if maybe he would sell the battery pack alone ill keep you guys updated on that

i wouldnt replace any parts on the board i would only add the battery pack i actually messaged that seller to see if maybe he would sell the battery pack alone ill keep you guys updated on that

His battery pack is just the pack rectangle. The "power lines" that connect then to the discs are on the disc portions.

If you want to be able to blend it into the existing parts, you would want a battery pack with the powerlines molded with it. I would think.

His battery pack is just the pack rectangle. The "power lines" that connect then to the discs are on the disc portions.

If you want to be able to blend it into the existing parts, you would want a battery pack with the powerlines molded with it. I would think.
those could easily be cut from some thin plexi im more concerned about the pack id rather have a whole part than a layered piece or a foam pack it wouldn't match up with anything else

We could easily scratch build the battery pack and the extensions to the magnets as one piece.

I would only have one concern. I'm not sure if that product photo is final, but notice the battery pack is not centred between the magnets. Might need to make tge battery and extensions separate to accomodate different placements at the favtory.

The replacement battery pack would also have to be slightly bigger than screen sized to cover their existing battery graphic.

Last edited:
Wow, looking at the secondary market for the Mattel version, I'm selling. How many times have I thought about gutting it and making it the hero rideable version they had for stunts. Thank you HC. Can't go wrong with pink plastic, perfect for car shows and cons.

We could easily scratch build the battery pack and the extensions to the magnets as one piece.

I would only have one concern. I'm not sure if that product photo is final, but notice the battery pack is not centred between the magnets. Might need to make tge battery and extensions separate to accomodate different placements at the favtory.

The replacement battery pack would also have to be slightly bigger than screen sized to cover their existing battery graphic.
I'm sure the battery decal can be pulled off pretty easily I guess well have to just wait a month to get these in hand to really start working on proportions to me it looks to be the same exact mold used for Mattel it can has the inlayed Velcro straps at the top so I'm curios to find out if the handlebar hole is hiding under the decal

would it look ok if you printed the honeycomb and then laminated over it, or even printed on glossy paper, to emulate lenticular material? this seems like one of the "low budget, but still can look awesome" BTTF projects

Printing the Roland hero board graphics is the best way to get the lenticular look in sticker form I was looking at prices and it's honestly not expensive to do actual lenticular

ah nice, I've got 2015 clothing essentials and almanac, but haven't started looking into the hoverboard yet. this looks like a fun project, plus half the price of the Matty, it seems like a good go to try

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back