Halloween contest entry 2015: kid TFA Stormtrooper armour (free stuff)

Re: Halloween contest entry 2015: kid TFA Stormtrooper armour

Congrats on the win, great looking costume!

Where did you have your parts printed? I've been looking for a place to do a few things for me, and those turned out really good.

Looks like Shapeways!

Thanks Sinned, was unexpected. Was indeed Shapeways yeah. I really like the infrastructure they have in terms of the actual uploading process, and customer service is great too.
That said I haven't tried anyone else so no comparisons to make!

Btw, I'm happy to upload the models somewhere for download If they're of interest to anyone. I also had a couple of people ping me about providing the patterns. But since they're just a pile of paper and card, I'm not sure how I might go about doing that?

Thanks Sinned, was unexpected. Was indeed Shapeways yeah. I really like the infrastructure they have in terms of the actual uploading process, and customer service is great too.

Btw, I'm happy to upload the models somewhere for download If they're of interest to anyone. I also had a couple of people ping me about providing the patterns. But since they're just a pile of paper and card, I'm not sure how I might go about doing that?

You'd need to scan and upload them (preferably numbered, I guess?) and then organize them into specific armor pieces :x

Ah cool. I was thinking Shapeways, but your pieces look WAY better than what I had them print for me once. Perhaps a better question would have been, "Which material did you choose?"

The stuff I had them make for me turned out good, but was very powdery, and rough. Took a LOT of cleanup. :(

They were printed in 'White, Strong & Flexible' material Sinned.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd need to scan and upload them (preferably numbered, I guess?) and then organize them into specific armor pieces :x

Cool thanks, that makes sense. And here was me wondering how Id photograph them whilst keeping the relative scale accurate, doh.

Closeup Sinned. You can see the layering obviously. The top piece had a coat or two of Krylon white whereas iirc the bottom one fell into the 'crap, Im running out of time' category and got no paint at all, so the layering is a bit more apparent? Still, this shot is taken in sunlight up super close and generally the layering and surface 'noise' is usually much less apparent than this, I tried to show it in its worst light, as it were:

3Dparts_closeup.JPG

If Id have had time I'd have done some sanding or other finishing pre-paint I think.

They were printed in 'White, Strong & Flexible' material Sinned.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool thanks, that makes sense. And here was me wondering how Id photograph them whilst keeping the relative scale accurate, doh.

Photographs would work in a pinch but you'd have to make sure they were taken at an orthographic angle (dead-on) which would probably be more time-consuming, TBH.

A few folks asked me for this and it took me waaaaay too long sorry. Too many projects, work, kids, yada yada. Here are my patterns. If they look Photoshoppy they are. I corrected any photographic distortion, scaled everything perfectly relative to each other and made the pieces that were meant to be symmetrical perfectly symmetrical.

FO_trooper_DP_pattern1.png

FO_trooper_DP_pattern2.png

FO_trooper_DP_pattern3.png

FO_trooper_DP_pattern4.png

This isn't EVERYTHING you'd need of course. Notably missing are shoulders (see thread above. 5 dollar toy green army helmets), hand plates (just bought gloves with them stitched in) and the thermal detonator I just winged it using EVA and didn't really make a pattern for. The bucket of course is the (modified) fifty dollar (waaaay too much, perhaps its come down now?) Target one.

I hope this stuff is of use to someone cos it took me bloody ages :) Remember that I made it for an 8-10 yr old kid and I have not tried an adult version ;-)
In the next day or two though I will also upload the 3D model files somewhere that I created for other random bits and pieces. Feel free to ping me If I forget and you need :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back