Halliwax's weird V3 theory

I'm telling you, with almost complete certainty, it's the V3. The large scallop you're speculating would be seen when the hilt is held up as a longer steep on the bottom corner of the d-ring cube, but the channel runs the length of the cubes. The profile of the booster and pommel are an identical match.
I hear you - I actually noticed the misaligned lathing you mentioned on the pommel cubes of the V3 when tracing them

I'm telling you, with almost complete certainty, it's the V3. The large scallop you're speculating would be seen when the hilt is held up as a longer steep on the bottom corner of the d-ring cube, but the channel runs the length of the cubes. The profile of the booster and pommel are an identical match.

Can you simulate a photo with your v3 in roughly the same angle for us?

Can you simulate a photo with your v3 in roughly the same angle for us?

Tried to get a similar angle for both my stunt V3 and the V3 post-production.

20210220_225351.jpg
20210220_224753.jpg

Those are great! man those pommel ends are tricky

We should check this too. since this isn't the V3, if the pommels match, then the pommels aren't great for IDing which cast we have
ylsyqxdl-jpg.jpg

Hm that one is full of surprises actually

The valley facing us seems like it might be slightly thinner than the V3 but it's hard to tell as that is one of the thinner ones on the V3. In addition to the missing wire hole, the D-ring seems to be situated much lower compared to the other examples. (all others appear to have the d-ring drilled towards the top end of the cubes.)
1613928861950.png

Also the d-ring looks quite oxidized and dark compared to the V2's

I'm quite certain you can see the d-ring hole in the pic above and it sits above where the d-ring is, so I'm guessing it wasn't fully pinched and it slipped out, or was pulled loose. I think you can just make out the silhouette of the clasp on the pommel, too.

Do you know how to get the straight striations on the v3 pommel cubes? It doesnt look like the normal circles/spirals im used to seeing

If it's running vertically with the hilt, likely from sanding/filing. On a lathe, all machine marks would be horizontal.

Hmmm... I guess I can kinda see what you're saying about the d-ring PPP. So what do you think about the hilt in that image though - V2, V3, or something else?

I don't think it possible unless maybe cut with water jet cutters but even then, they leave almost no marks and I don't know if I've ever seen things cut with water jet that wasn't a sheet.

You're cutting things with bits; there are gonna be round-ish marks. You can reduce marks based on a number of things but having straight, parallel marks I don't think is possible under the conditions these were made in.

For me, they are definitely elliptical marks on the sides of the cubes, and though I can't prove it in any meaningful and conclusive way---I feel it is most likely the V3 in the full-frame Guinness pic.

Last edited:
If there is another un-accounted for cast Obi/Luke saber, it could be the one seen in ESB on Hoth in the Rebel hanger. Maybe that one walked off the set or was discarded with set pieces and that's why it isn't in the LFL archive.

I don't think it possible unless maybe cut with water jet cutters but even then, they leave almost no marks and I don't know if I've ever seen things cut with water jet that wasn't a sheet.

You're cutting things with bits; there are gonna be round-ish marks. You can reduce marks based on a number of things but having straight, parallel marks I don't think is possible under the conditions these were made in.
I should have used pictures before, I was on my phone. I'm wondering if these are marks from the wooden master or something, you're right there's no way this would happen with spinning bits
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 2.00.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-23 at 2.02.01 PM.png

If there is another un-accounted for cast Obi/Luke saber, it could be the one seen in ESB on Hoth in the Rebel hanger. Maybe that one walked off the set or was discarded with set pieces and that's why it isn't in the LFL archive.
...and maybe explains why the Echo base “hammer” and the one we see Kirschner holding look a little smaller...

I should have used pictures before, I was on my phone. I'm wondering if these are marks from the wooden master or something, you're right there's no way this would happen with spinning bits
View attachment 1429348View attachment 1429349

Looks like tool chatter to me.. when you feed the material into the mill backwards it “climbs” making marks like that

Thinking the Stunt's had thicker emitters than usual?
Stop it! It’s just lighting! :p
I’m literally putting together my own shared stunt right now and this thread is not helping my indecisiveness.
As soon as I settle on something, you guys keep coming up with new references and theories. HaHa

Keep it coming, I love it!

I also thought of something the other day. The V3 has chrome tape/paint over a black painted emitter. It's thought this was done to polish it up for public use. That would mean the emitter was actually painted black for something before.

I know the bladed emitter would have been a different emitter, with the theory we've been playing with. That means it was not only drilled for a bearing, but sent over to be painted as well. Without being lathed. I really wonder if they were all prepped at once, because there are a few un-prepped blanks out there too.

It brought up the idea again that the hilt was put together that way to make a "master" with a stunt Luke ESB card and clamp.

I also thought of something the other day. The V3 has chrome tape/paint over a black painted emitter. It's thought this was done to polish it up for public use. That would mean the emitter was actually painted black for something before.

I know the bladed emitter would have been a different emitter, with the theory we've been playing with. That means it was not only drilled for a bearing, but sent over to be painted as well. Without being lathed. I really wonder if they were all prepped at once, because there are a few un-prepped blanks out there too.

It brought up the idea again that the hilt was put together that way to make a "master" with a stunt Luke ESB card and clamp.

With new photographic evidence I am counting 6 stunts actually used

3 of those motorized

I can also say it looks like some were not finished and only painted.

I imagine like everything else time is at the essence and having 3 completed motor stunts was enough on their check list and made the rear unfinished just as off screen practice stunts

I think these were all painted at the same time during anh

ROTJ is a whole other ball game though... it wouldn’t surprise me if the stunts used in rotj got a touch up.. going by the resin cast...

I’m still almost positive 2 stunts were being used in the throne room..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back