HAL/SAL 9000 Lens options

I meant I'll use (used) JBWeld to mount the lens housing to the "aluminum" ring and the ring to the faceplate.

I’ve never heard of JBWeld’s products before. Might not be in Canada.

So you glued the glass to plastic with it? I see they make several types of glue. Which one did you use?

I’ve never heard of JBWeld’s products before. Might not be in Canada.

So you glued the glass to plastic with it? I see they make several types of glue. Which one did you use?

That link I posted is the Home Depot Canada page. You can order from there. They've usually got it in the adhesives aisle. Pretty sure Canadian Tire carries it too. And possibly Michael's

I've press fit the lens in the ring and don't wish to remove / re-install it, for fear of messing up the paint.

But this pic from the auction shows the deal; you need to cut just inside the inside flat surface of the ring. I actually left a bit extra, as I was fearful of messing up the part that would show. Imagine sticking the dremel tool inside the assembly such that the saw will cut around the inside edge. I was quite worried I'd mess it up somehow managed not to. As I said, I scores it first with a razor before sawing. If you screw it up, well, the kits aren't THAT expensive. ;)

View attachment 1432088
I was wondering once you cut the back of the lens housing off, how does one attach the led and filter? Do you reattach the back section again some how, and insert the white led thru the original hole?

Yes, I reused the back piece with the filter trimmed to size and placed inside, and the white LED through the original hole. I did not want to glue the back piece on the backside of the lens for fear that it might show though the front, so I secured it in place from the back with tape. I'm sure something better could be rigged up.

Yes, I reused the back piece with the filter trimmed to size and placed inside, and the white LED through the original hole. I did not want to glue the back piece on the backside of the lens for fear that it might show though the front, so I secured it in place from the back with tape. I'm sure something better could be rigged up.
I’ve yet to cut apart my Moebius lens but I worry about how the glass lens will stay put within the cut piece. I hear press fit but it’s hard to visualize since it won’t be snug as far as I can tell.

Snug as a bug in a rug. I posted a pic on the prev. page, on Feb 26th showing the lens inserted in the lens holder.
I did see those pics but when I looked at them it looked to me like the lens could/would just fall backwards into the inside of the main body. I couldn’t see what would prevent it. I’m hoping once I get my Moebius lens cut open it’ll make sense or become more clear to me.

For cutting my plastic lens I think I’m going to mount a razor blade horizontally to a small block of wood with a nail or screw and then I’ll spin the Moebius lens around/against it by hand so that the mounted blade will cut a perfect straight line through it. I have a Dremel but in my experience they’re so jumpy that I don’t trust I won’t damage the Moebius piece irreparably.

I did see those pics but when I looked at them it looked to me like the lens could/would just fall backwards into the inside of the main body. I couldn’t see what would prevent it. I’m hoping once I get my Moebius lens cut open it’ll make sense or become more clear to me.

For cutting my plastic lens I think I’m going to mount a razor blade horizontally to a small block of wood with a nail or screw and then I’ll spin the Moebius lens around/against it by hand so that the mounted blade will cut a perfect straight line through it. I have a Dremel but in my experience they’re so jumpy that I don’t trust I won’t damage the Moebius piece irreparably.

The "inside" plastic bit goes back behind the glass, so it essentially fits back together like kit is meant to; there isn't a hole for the lens to fall back into.
And I'm not sure your razor blade trick will work. The part of the ring you're supposed to cut faces the middle of the ring assembly

The "inside" plastic bit goes back behind the glass, so it essentially fits back together like kit is meant to; there isn't a hole for the lens to fall back into.
And I'm not sure your razor blade trick will work. The part of the ring you're supposed to cut faces the middle of the ring assembly
You mean like example 2 below right?

Attachments

• IMG_9487.jpg
    IMG_9487.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9488.jpg
    IMG_9488.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 121
I've yet to cut mine, but yes, example 2 from my understanding
See to me that seems a bit weird because that means the glass lens will be underneath the lip which was originally intended to be a "shelf" for the plastic lens to sit on. To me it seems like example 1 would be the better way to do it.
Hmm

See to me that seems a bit weird because that means the glass lens will be underneath the lip which was originally intended to be a "shelf" for the plastic lens to sit on. To me it seems like example 1 would be the better way to do it.
Hmm
It's all dependent on the diameter and curve of the glass lens and where that meets the ring housing. From what previous posters have said, it sounded like cutting it like B allows for a pressure fit and for any imprecise cutting to be hidden away as the edge is forced underneath. Which means if you cut like A, you're going to have a gap between your glass and the ring.
The glass isn't fitted to the ring - it's not the same size as the plastic dome - so any structural intention for that little ledge is moot

It's all dependent on the diameter and curve of the glass lens and where that meets the ring housing. From what previous posters have said, it sounded like cutting it like B allows for a pressure fit and for any imprecise cutting to be hidden away as the edge is forced underneath. Which means if you cut like A, you're going to have a gap between your glass and the ring.
The glass isn't fitted to the ring - it's not the same size as the plastic dome - so any structural intention for that little ledge is moot
When you cut yours be sure to take pics.

Are you going to sell 3D Prints of these?

I'm probably going to make prints available via Shapeways. Doing some tests now. I've managed to emulate the look of the original engraved letters pretty closely, based on photos of the actual lenses. Rather than using a font. (the Moebius approach) So I want to see how those look printed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 02.39.35.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 02.39.35.png
    624.5 KB · Views: 83
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back