HAL/SAL 9000 Lens options

One thing to note is that these glass replica lenses have really prominent internal reflections of the outer surface. The result is apparent white rings inside the lens. You need to paint the thin vertical outer edge black to cut that back.

So I received my lense today exactly as advertised.Pretty quick considering I ordered it late Friday night. It looks great as the curvature is so much more extreme than the plastic lense. I built my HAL when I got it so I was able to get the plastic lenses off and pull the eye from the frame, but those 3 parts ar not coming apart so I’ll have use a dremel to cut the inner lip, but it appears the glass will fit right in there. Not sure what glue to use, Anyway I’ll do the surgery after work tomorrow and update.
I was looking at this item just the other day. I was bit dubious as its a bit of a strange description etc. I think I might go ahead now that you have said it is so good. I was wondering did he include Roscolux Red (R-34) filter material and white led he promises?
Thanks very much for the info

Last edited:
I bought one. I don't have a Mobius kit yet, so looking forward to hearing Fett-ish's report. Mine did come with the filter and white LED, even thought i bought it before he added those items to the listing (and added a couple bucks to the price too). So I surely cannot complain about this transaction (unless it don't fit!).

It seems to measure bout 74mm in diameter, which seems awful wide for the Mobius kit from everything I've read. My best guess it is must fit somewhat under the outer/top ring.

Last edited:
I bought one. I don't have a Mobius kit yet, so looking forward to hearing Fett-ish's report. Mine did come with the filter and white LED, even thought i bought it before he added those items to the listing (and added a couple bucks to the price too). So I surely cannot complain about this transaction (unless it don't fit!).

It seems to measure bout 74mm in diameter, which seems awful wide for the Mobius kit from everything I've read. My best guess it is must fit somewhat under the outer/top ring.

Happy to hear the LED and filter are being shipped on older orders too. I'm in the same boat, but waiting on delivery

Just measured the Mobius kit and its around 74mm to the outer edge of the inner ring. Had a look back at the listing and he has cut the lens ring part into two pieces. Still can't really visualize how it will all fit together though

From the look of the mobius kit it looks to me like it’s basically a copy of the SD HAL 9000. The base for the lens looks very much like the base in my SD kit.

It fits!

The nice thing is you don’t have to be especially steady (I don’t have a particularly steady hand) when cutting to separate the outer ring from the back. I mean, you have to be somewhat careful, but I found that when the lens is press fit into the ring, it tends to hide any sloppy cutting. I scored the inside of the ring with a razor before using the Dremel saw, as a sort of guide.

I’m VERY pleased with the eye effect.

Attachments

• D949FC8E-9E09-4305-8A4B-B3567B4718D1.jpeg
    D949FC8E-9E09-4305-8A4B-B3567B4718D1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 261
  • 3A8FEB46-08A9-4A7D-A9E5-183C0C5354CE.jpeg
    3A8FEB46-08A9-4A7D-A9E5-183C0C5354CE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 206
  • 6FD8CB93-2E33-434C-8164-6505BBDD0193.jpeg
    6FD8CB93-2E33-434C-8164-6505BBDD0193.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 197
  • 9E55A63F-6A66-4821-B54C-028F585FF743.jpeg
    9E55A63F-6A66-4821-B54C-028F585FF743.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:
How does everyone plan on fixing the whole lens assembly to the body? Glue seemed fine when it was a thin plastic dome, but does the weight of the glass complicate things a little? I'm still waiting on delivery of mine, so haven't got a chance to play around with it yet

It fits!

The nice thing is you don’t have to be especially steady (I don’t have a particularly steady hand) when cutting to separate the outer ring from the back. I mean, you have to be somewhat careful, but I found that when the lens is press fit into the ring, it tends to hide any sloppy cutting. I scored the inside of the ring with a razor before using the Dremel saw, as a sort of guide.

Wow! It does look very good actually. Many thanks for posting the pics. Is the flat surface of the lens painted black, or is the glass black?

It fits!

Would you be able to post a pic of the ring only? I'm not 100% sure where I should be cutting and don't want to mess it up

Would you be able to post a pic of the ring only? I'm not 100% sure where I should be cutting and don't want to mess it up

I've press fit the lens in the ring and don't wish to remove / re-install it, for fear of messing up the paint.

But this pic from the auction shows the deal; you need to cut just inside the inside flat surface of the ring. I actually left a bit extra, as I was fearful of messing up the part that would show. Imagine sticking the dremel tool inside the assembly such that the saw will cut around the inside edge. I was quite worried I'd mess it up somehow managed not to. As I said, I scores it first with a razor before sawing. If you screw it up, well, the kits aren't THAT expensive. ;)

1614693186746.png

I've press fit the lens in the ring and don't wish to remove / re-install it, for fear of messing up the paint.

But this pic from the auction shows the deal; you need to cut just inside the inside flat surface of the ring. I actually left a bit extra, as I was fearful of messing up the part that would show. Imagine sticking the dremel tool inside the assembly such that the saw will cut around the inside edge. I was quite worried I'd mess it up somehow managed not to. As I said, I scores it first with a razor before sawing. If you screw it up, well, the kits aren't THAT expensive. ;)

View attachment 1432088
I see now. The plane of the dremel wheel would be parallel to the table. Thanks!

I see now. The plane of the dremel wheel would be parallel to the table. Thanks!
Yes, that is a better way of saying it. I felt it was better to leave some extra material and sand down if needed; as it turns out, the curvature if the lens is such that it extends past the lip and hides the material left inside. My cut was far from pretty. The back part just glues onto the backside of the lens (though I have not done that yet and may instead come up with a different solution).

I meant I'll use (used) JBWeld to mount the lens housing to the "aluminum" ring and the ring to the faceplate.

If anyone comes up with a decent "NIKKOR KOGAKU" decal to use on the lens housing (with the correct font) please let me know.;)

Best,

Scott

Attachments

• halshiney.jpg
    halshiney.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 115
  • B3C59CA7-95DA-4C73-AE86-09C61DB78997.jpeg
    B3C59CA7-95DA-4C73-AE86-09C61DB78997.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back