HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

Thanks. I bought “RVinyl’s” Black Brushed Aluminum. Pretty happy with it - this is just a “mock-up”.
My Allclad paint should arrive shortly, and then I’ll know better how it’s going to turn out.

Asked Valor about the vinyl used for his Hal build and he also used RVinyl.
And thought I could use brushed vinyl on the Mobius kit, since it would be a hassle to get clean paint edges of the black and silver.

So, the queston I have for you, did you sand down the original Bushed plastic, then lay over the vinyl over it, or what was your method?

Yes, I used thenRvinyl partly to avoid the need for a clean paint transitions from the black. I still managed to get it slightly crooked across the top, so not sure anyone should be following my lead. FWIW, I sanded down the raised platform for the HAL9000 decal but did not otherwise prep the face. By the way, if I could go back, I think I’d use the brushed black steel and not the “aluminum” (though not 100% sure).

...did you sand down the original Bushed plastic, then lay over the vinyl over it, or what was your method?
I’m working on mine at this very moment and I’ve been contemplating cutting out the Moebius panel and replacing it with my own panel of vinyl wrapped styrene. Seems an easier approach than sanding down the Moebius’ surface.

I’m working on mine at this very moment and I’ve been contemplating cutting out the Moebius panel and replacing it with my own panel of vinyl wrapped styrene. Seems an easier approach than sanding down the Moebius’ surface.

I thought about doing that too, but just seems too much of a hassle for me.
So, please keep us posted how you do it.

And I think the Mobius kit is great, especially for the price
but my main problem with the kit, why didn't Mobius make the "Brushed" area a separate piece, like with the "Grill Speaker" piece.
Maybe Mobius trying to keep the price reasonable, with less pieces from the mold/cast process. But if this is the case, I would had paid more for the kit.

By the way, since Hal's frame a simple design.
Does anybody know how much it would cost to make the frame out of Aluminum? And where I could the exact size pieces?
I would just use the Speaker grill, the whole lens piece, and decals from the Mobius kit.
Then use styrene and brushed vinyl, or maybe real brushed metal.

my main problem with the kit, why didn't Mobius make the "Brushed" area a separate piece, like with the "Grill Speaker" piece.
Maybe Mobius trying to keep the price reasonable, with less pieces from the mold/cast process. But if this is the case, I would had paid more for the kit.
Agree on all points
Does anybody know how much it would cost to make the frame out of Aluminum? And where I could the exact size pieces?
I would just use the Speaker grill, the whole lens piece, and decals from the Mobius kit.
Then use styrene and brushed vinyl, or maybe real brushed metal.
I had these same thoughts. Started looking around at custom machined metal for the eye rings and was hearing stuff in the hundreds. Might be easier for the outer frame to find suitable ready made aluminum extrusions? I’m still exploring.

Received the roll of Black Brushed Steel in the mail today. Looks great. Can't go wrong for $25 shipped. Just go with the 1'x5' sample size. The grain runs parallel to the short side, so you'll run out of Hal parts before you run out of the vinyl

So... if you replace the angled sides of the Moebius kit with aluminium bars, and then cover the top plate with textured material, then get aluminium rings cut, then replace the fake lens with a 3D-printed one with engraved lettering, then put in a glass lens element instead of the curved plastic domes...

...what are you buying the Moebius kit for? Just the speaker grille? :)

And the grille is not entirely accurate anyway. ;) Something I learned on RPF, having to do with the orientation of the holes at the edges.

I have no illusions abut the Moebius kit; the "aluminum" ring is wrong, has an extraneous outer lip. Also no chamfered edges on the frame (which I am not sure the original poster of this amazing thread even had on his early builds. All stuff I learned here. The RPF is good for learning what is wrong with your stuff and correcting it or learning to live with it. ;) I felt a little sheepish even posting a Moebius kit build in this thread, as I am not sure what it adds to the knowledge that came before. Bottom line is with a higher quality lens and an approach to painting that makes it less obvious that it is a plastic model kit hanging on my wall, I can be reasonably happy with the end result (esp. for a little over $100 invested). As long as I squint. ;)

Also helps that very few if any people who see it person will even know the incorrect details. ;) Meanwhile I keep an eye out for an SD Studios version for sale on the open market, just won't hold my breath waiting.

Last edited:
So... if you replace the angled sides of the Moebius kit with aluminium bars, and then cover the top plate with textured material, then get aluminium rings cut, then replace the fake lens with a 3D-printed one with engraved lettering, then put in a glass lens element instead of the curved plastic domes...

...what are you buying the Moebius kit for? Just the speaker grille? :)
I originally bought the Moebius kit for the lens, ring, and speaker with the intent of replacing the main body and sides to add some heft to the model. But then Valor posted his lens ring print file. Then the glass domes were offered on ebay. The I found a more accurate speaker file. And Jason posted his label mock-up. So apart from the on/off switch, I guess it's just for reference at this point. But it all happened piecemeal

I originally bought the Moebius kit for the lens, ring, and speaker with the intent of replacing the main body and sides to add some heft to the model. But then Valor posted his lens ring print file. Then the glass domes were offered on ebay. The I found a more accurate speaker file. And Jason posted his label mock-up. So apart from the on/off switch, I guess it's just for reference at this point. But it all happened piecemeal

Reminds me of the bit about the guy who bought George Washington's axe at auction; the blade was said to have been replaced twice, and the handle once.

Same. I spotted the glass eye first. Learned of the Moebius kit. Bought both. Then learned of all the RPF research. Then saw other people’s scratch builds. Then the upgrade/pimping bug bit. To be honest it seems like most of the metal bits are either going to be too difficult for me to do well with my toolset and budget so I’ll probably be sticking to my original plan of Moebius kit + SD lens.

My vinyl arrived today. Has a bit of a silver fleck glitter to it that had me saying “My god. It’s full of stars!”

5B528F0D-D7A0-4B10-A8C5-B597442F5BCE.gif

The vinyl looks pretty nifty! I would say it's not screen-accurate - I've never seen any evidence of reflectivity from the main surface of the HAL faceplate. It always looks pretty matte. But it does look cool to have shiny brushed finishes to the plate - makes it look like a high-end 1960s-70s stereo!

I got a quote today on the machining of two outer rings in aluminum for $140 CAD ($110 USD) or $70 CAD ea. ($55 USD ea.)
Does that seem like a good deal or a bit high?

I got a quote today on the machining of two outer rings in aluminum for $140 CAD ($110 USD) or $70 CAD ea. ($55 USD ea.)
Does that seem like a good deal or a bit high?
Greetings from Ottawa jasonh1234 ;) Sometimes it pays to go to a machine shop located in an University/college and ask the students to turn/fabricate your piece: less expensive in the end!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back