HAL 9000 from 2001: a space odyssey

Originally posted by tgreco@Mar 16 2006, 06:50 AM
try this, reversed some of it's very clear

the rest I hunted and pecked at til it looked kinda right... but it's just guess work

halbar2.gif

you might also want to try "SMO ELEMENTS" or 2MO 
it's weird, it looks like it should be an O until you blur it...

and also try  "A6-CX"

when reversed EXTERNAL and RESTORE and ARRAY become very clear
[snapback]1206801[/snapback]​
Fantastic work everyone.
Tgreco, reversing that artwork really helps. I'll remember that for future use.

I have a genuinely full day today and won't be able to take a pass at this until tonight (UK time).
I'm still not convinced by ZMO or N6-CX. I can make a case for AI-CM (Artificial Intelligence Core Memory) and it kind of looks right too. Anyway, I'll run some more passes later for your consideration.

Kevin

Originally posted by tgreco@Mar 16 2006, 03:03 AM
here's where I am on decoding this mess:

This is the back of the Pod, so I have to know, has anyone asked
Captain Cardboard?
[snapback]1206833[/snapback]​

Probably. I just put it up there to leverage the intense concentration we had going on. :p

No big deal, nobody is replicating that sign anyway. On any conceivable pod model you couldn't possibly read it.

- K

Ok... while everybody's been having fun with blurry letters, I've been actually working... :p

Here's a teaser:

HAL_9000_1_teaser.JPG

Don't let the distorted perspective fool you - these are true to the screen-used panel proportions, although the Kenko makes everything somewhat smaller than all previous replicas (overlay comparisons to follow). I still have to mock up the digital sound board, motion sensor, and wall plaque, and then finalize assembly & integration. Then I'll be creating priliminary drawings, and taking them to my EE buddy, who will spec out and cost all the electronics... When all that's done, I'll refine the 3D model and start quoting out parts to my vendors.

I should mention right now that the replica WILL NOT be designed to accomodate a real Kenko lens, so there's no point in rushing to eBay. Those who already own one and wish to modify their replicas can always do so.

More tomorrow... :love

- Gabe

P. S. This would be an excellent time for somebody to send me all the digital HAL phrases so I can hand them over to my EE friend and we can all vote on which ones and how many we'd like to hear, and can afford to. :)

Outstanding as always, Gabe. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Glad to see that your non-participation in the blurry text discussion was for a good cause. :p

Oye Gabe.

MUST

HAVE..

Looks great. I was going to pick up one of the three kits that I've seen out there for the HAL panel, but now I'll just wait for these......depending on cost of course, hehehe ;) :lol

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 16 2006, 12:02 PM

HAL_9000_1_teaser.JPG

- Gabe

Ooooh. Yummy. :love
I have my take on the toilet instructions on the wall in the guest bathroom. It would be oh so funny to add an illuminated "all-seeing" HAL eye in there too.
:lol

Of course, I don't mean one that actually sees. :$
One that makes people think that ...
... no ..... wait.

I'll have to rethink this.

(I still want a HAL tho' Gabe. :thumbsup )

Originally posted by Kevin@Mar 16 2006, 10:31 PM
I have my take on the toilet instructions on the wall in the guest bathroom. It would be oh so funny to add an illuminated "all-seeing" HAL eye in there too.
:lol

Of course, I don't mean one that actually sees. :$
One that makes people think that ...
... no ..... wait.
Lines for the sound chip in the all-seeing bathroom version of HAL:

"Sorry to interrupt the festivities, but we have a problem."

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

"I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave."

:D

{EDIT} Three more:

"Thank you for a very enjoyable game."

"Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"Can you hold it a bit closer?"

:p

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 16 2006, 05:02 AM
P. S. This would be an excellent time for somebody to send me all the digital HAL phrases so I can hand them over to my EE friend and we can all vote on which ones and how many we'd like to hear, and can afford to. :)
[snapback]1206882[/snapback]​
I will start working on it today. :D

Originally posted by temponaut@Mar 16 2006, 02:45 PM

Lines for the sound chip in the all-seeing bathroom version of HAL:

"Sorry to interrupt the festivities, but we have a problem."

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

"I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave."

:D

{EDIT}  Three more:

"Thank you for a very enjoyable game."

"Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"

"Can you hold it a bit closer?"

:p
[snapback]1206937[/snapback]​

Wow. You are on a roll. ;)

side.jpg

By Jove, I think we've got it.

Lines 1 and 4 are ours and lines 2 & 3 are the screen grab.
I have blurred our text and added some lateral motion blur to it.

You can see that the dark areas match up.

I stand corrected about "RESTORE". I have to admit that's what it is.

I am sticking by AI-CM at the start of the second line (lines 3 & 4 above). It makes sense and it looks right to me.

Please point out anything I've overlooked (Overlook, geddit?).

More later.

EDITED: You know, looking at this post, I don't think that it IS AI. M4 perhaps?

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 16 2006, 04:02 AM

Here's a teaser:

More tomorrow... :love

- Gabe

You big TEASE.. I love it. Can't wait to see this done. Since my name is Dave I think ANY of the HAL phrases with my name can't be wrong. :lol

Thanks, guys.

Question: can someone confirm the number of columns and rows of holes in the screen-used panel's speaker grill?

Here's my "wish list" for features and functions that I hope the replica will incorporate, R&D cost and customer affordability permitting:
  • CNC-machined all-aluminum frame and eye ring
  • silk-screened or vinyl HAL 9000 logo
  • injection-molded fisheye lens
  • black-anodized CNC-machined aluminum lens barrel and cap/filter ring
  • red LED and digital sound board activated by motion and IR sensors
  • randomly cycled famous HAL phrases from the film
  • first spoken phrase in the morning will always be "Good morning, Dave"
  • multiple display options: LED on/off mode, sound on/off mode, motion-sensor triggered LED & sound; LED fade-out after phrases, and LED flicker during "shutdown scene" phrases (I'm afraid, Dave... My mind is going, Dave... etc. ;))
  • movie-themed decorative wall mount display
Since my project is still in its early R&D stages, I'm not accepting any commissions or preorders, since I don't rightly know how much all this is going to run. If I had a gun held to my head, I'd have to say no less than $200. When this all comes together, the obligatory Junkyard thead with all the details will be posted. :)

I'd also like to ask for a scalable graphic of the HALL 9000 logo. Both it and the sound files can be e-mailed to me at proprunner@aol.com.

- Gabe

About the sound files, there is an enviromental hum (generated by the ship) that is present during HAL dialog. I have created two example files to demonstrate the options available for the sound files.

File #1 HAL.mp3 This file is unaltered.

File #2 HAL-nr.mp3 In this file I have isolated HAL's voice.

Let me know what you all think.

Montagar

Oh, man... tough call, and thanks for bringing it up. I honestly could go either way, but I do enjoy hearing the ship's hum in the background - it takes me right back to the Discovery. :)

But taken out of the ship's context, would a wall-mounted HAL sound better with or without it? Since the environmental hum would cease when HAL stops speaking, the phrases might begin and end too abruptly, unless the hum can fade away AFTER the phrase ends. Is that doable? What about an optional mode of "ship's hum" that plays continuously? Whine I could totally see myself working to that calming drone for a few hours a day, I expect it would drain the batteries rather quickly...

Thoughts on my response? Laughter? Mocekry? :p

- Gabe

I like the fade in and fade out

if there were a continous sound, I'm sure I'd forget it as white noise and leave
it on, and kill the bateries...

oh, and btw... is there going to be a mount bracket above the batteries (so it can hang on the wall) or will I be forced to glue it up?
(didn't see it on the renders)

Also, because Kubrick was such a perfectionist, some of the HAL dialog is in a different environment. As an example, when Dave is asking HAL to open the pod bay doors, some of HAL's responses are in Dave's pod over the communications link (therefore having the background noise of the pod and not the hum of the ship).

So because of that, I was thinking that isolating HAL would be better. Depending on what phrases we decide to use, the background noise could be different and not hold up well one played after the other. But fade-in might be enough to solve that problem as well.

Originally posted by Prop Runner@Mar 16 2006, 12:40 PM
Thanks, guys.

Question: can someone confirm the number of columns and rows of holes in the screen-used panel's speaker grill?

I get 22 rectangles wide and 18 rectangles high

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back