HAL 9000 from 2001: a space odyssey

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by simon_lewis, Jan 3, 2006.

1. simon_lewis

simon_lewis New Member

Hello all.

Just thought I'd show you some pics of a replica HAL 9000 from the Stanley Kubrick film '2001: a space odyssey' which was written by Arthur C Clarke.

I started one about six years ago but never got round to finishing it so ended throwing the parts out when we moved house.

Then I found myself filming an interview with Arthur's brother Fred (who lives locally - Arthur is in Sri Lanka) and decided to have another go so that I could use it as 'set dressing'. It was also a good reason to pull my finger out and make one at last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having scoured the internet I found some plans that seemed to be in proportion but not to scale so I re-drew them and (sort of) followed them whilst still making some bits up as I went along. I built a simple base that could be removed for wall hanging and fixed on a battery holder.

Then I made another one for the hell of it as I had some spare parts - I may eBay one at some point to pay for the materials when I've finished the both.

HAL looked the part in the interview and I was really pleased to see thet the light in the lens looked just like the prop made for the film even though it was simply a red LED.

Am I the only RPF member with a HAL 9000 model? Get your tools out guys.

Cheers,

Simon.

saberguy likes this.
  2. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

That is a VERY impressive HAL, Simon. :)

As simple a prop as it is, I never tire of seeing a good replica, and to the best of my recollection, yours is the first all-metal buildup I've come across.

So when will you hook up the motion sensor and add all of HAL's memorable quotes to a sound chip? :D

- Gabe

3. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Cool--great work Simon-congratulations on the interview.

I've been wanting to build up a HAL9000 for ages (one of my all-time favorite movies) maybe I'll finally get off my rump and actually do it.

Cheers,

Dave C

4. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Very cool prop. What's equally cool is that it doubles as a monolith.

I suddenly have the urge to sing Daisy....Daisy...

5. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

nice job, where did you get the graphic?

6. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

An Iconic Prop beautifully done. :)

7. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Nicely done.

8. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That rocks. :D :thumbsup

Love to see replica props done well. There have been a few HALs over the years, some better than others. Here are the "correct" HAL proportions off of a screen grab of the film

[​IMG]

There were slight variances among the HAL panels scattered around the Discovery set (possibly due to lighting and photography)

[​IMG]

Here's a decent replica I picked up awhile back. It's a little "short" proportionally (and wrong typeface on the label) but not too bad.

[​IMG]

What are you doing, Dave? Dave. Dave. Dave, I think you should sit down, take a stress pill, and think things over calmly. Dave?

[​IMG]

- k

9. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am interested in the project as well.

However, I am knee deep in other ones right now.

If someone could provide help (blueprint / list of materials / decals) that would be much a ppreciated.

I would even be interested in buying one from someone.

10. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

that is an awesome replica of an awesome prop. i'd love to see those plans. nice work

11. KUROK

KUROK Well-Known Member

There is a kit from Wilco models I believe. You can see it at Starshipmodeler.com

BTW, beautiful replica HAL .

12. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

First metal HAL I've seen, and great looking.

That's a real lens, I take it.

13. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Simon,

I would STRONGLY encourage you to consider a run of your Hal replica. I'm sure you've discovered ways to improve your design (ie, hiding the screws, adding sound, etc.), and getting a dozen or more people to commit to a metal HAL would enable you to carry out those improvements MUCH more affordably than your first two.

I invite you to e-mail me at proprunner@aol.com if you'd like to discuss, as I'd gladly offer you my CAD services gratis. :) (do a search on my posts and authored threads to see what I've been working on recently).

Best,

- Gabe

14. phase pistol

I wonder if a replica lens could be made by machining optical-quality plastic into an approximation of the lens elements... :unsure

The lens on mine is faked with a dimensionally sculpted "well" and a thin hollow vacformed clear shell over it, but what you really want is that depth and distortion from looking thru solid material.

[​IMG]

You might only need the outer lens element, as shown in this cutaway

[​IMG]

- k

15. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Piece of cake. :D

- Gabe

16. phase pistol

Excellent. We'll expect to see a prototype, oh, say in the morning? :D

(seriously tho, I'm just proposing you'd want the outer solid lens elements, to distort the light a little... you don't need the darn thing to function as an actual wide-angle camera lens. :lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- k

17. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd be VERY interested in a kit...

18. DJ-Panic

DJ-Panic New Member

Hey, if you guys are really into HAL, I can ask my dad exactly what he was made of. He told me before but I don't remember exactly, but my dad used to work for Control Data Corporation, adn they were the one's who actually supplied the computers that were HAL in the movie. HAL was in reality a real functioning mainframe computer.
    Apparrently they actually made a fair number of them and they were in use in various government and university science departments in the 70's.

19. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

[​IMG]

Of course it would be more accurate once I have a few reference dimensions of the real lens, or close to it. :D

The lens could be prototyped using a 3D printer or stereolithography for around $100, and once cleaned up and sprayed with a clear coat to remove sanding marks, it could serve as a master for a clear acrylic or resin cast. :)

- Gabe

20. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

HAL was just a camera lens (Curtis Fairchild 160 degree, 70mm lens and called it Cinerama 160) with red lighting from behind. Here's a great article on it as well as picture from the site:

http://www.2001exhibit.org/arts/models/kirk_hal9000.html

[​IMG]

21. DJ-Panic

DJ-Panic New Member

ok, just thought you guys might be interested, guess not.

22. phase pistol

Gabe: Fantastic. Just what I was talkin' bout. :D

DJ-Panic: First, welcome aboard. I think there may have been a misunderstanding along the way about what HAL actually was, in "2001". There was no real computer equipment used to represent HAL. The "eye" is just a wide-angle camera lens. Control panels and displays were designed specifically for the movie. Sorry dude.

Surfer: In-teresting. But I doubt it. Perhaps the Curtis Cinerama lens was used for HAL's POV shots in the film itself. I would believe that.

But I don't think that particular lens is what we see on the prop "HAL" panels on the Discovery set. Check out my oblique screen grabs; the lens protrudes from the panel, and has a very thin metal bezel around it. The Cinerama lens looks much, much bigger and would not fit into that space.

These grabs give you an idea of how big a typical HAL lens was.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is from my files; it shows a plausible HAL replica using a smaller fisheye lens. I recall a thread here on RPF where lenses were discussed; I think the name Kenko came up.

[​IMG]

- k

23. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

DJ, don't get upset, dude. :) It's late at night in the US and many people have gone to sleep, plus I didn't see your post while I was working on the lens model. Also, while your story is fascinating, its bearing on this thread is a bit off-topic, and I can assure you that the eye panel had nothing to do with whatever computers were used to drive the graphics on board the Discovery shooting sets. It was, in fact, just a cool static wall hanger with a light and a voiceover. ;)

But by all means, please share this thread with your father and perhaps he knows of production-related information that could help make this replica more accurate, for instance, if the HAL panel came from an existing mainframe enclosure. :)

- Gabe

24. SurferGeek

Karl, you are correct, I misspoke regarding the specific lens used for HAL. The lens I remarked was used for the POV shots.

Would be interesting to see if something could be scratch (or CAD) built to replicate the effect as seen on the movie. I'm not sure the lighting would be quite as effective without at least some additional optics behind the primary??

25. phase pistol

I think Gabe is off to a fantastic start, perhaps some additional lens elements coule be made this way... tho the price could quickly become prohibitive. Maybe a cheap source for additional lens elements would be better (anybody know where to get a $5 pair of binoculars? :lol)

Tho we would not need to worry about too much depth... the HAL panel is FLAT as we can see in the oblique screengrabs.

I found a couple more HAL related pix in the book Stanley Kubrick Archives (fantastic volume BTW a must have for Kubrick fans)...

[​IMG]

On that Brainroom shot you can make out what appears to be lettering around the outer rim of the lens. Note how the black lens rim protrudes above the very thin silver metal bezel (visible in other shots above as well).

This shot taken during filming in Discovery's Centrifuge shows the Cinerama wide-angle lens (referenced above) on the camera.

[​IMG]

- k

26. zorg

i'm sure it was agreed on the other thread that it was the kenko fish eye that was used, it definatly wasnt that big jobby.

they were getting snapped up on ebay afterwards, the avarage price was about 85 dollars but some got them cheaper, if you can get the real deal for this price why pay more for a replica?

and arent the holes at the bottom of the panel round and not square?

z

27. SurferGeek

This is purportedly one of the HAL panels from 2001.

[​IMG]
    Source unknown. If the owner wishes it removed PM me.

28. phase pistol

Nope.

[​IMG]

29. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

I hate to say it, but the lens profile that I modeled appears to be too flat based on some of the side shots of the bubble that Karl posted. From the photos of the rear-lit Cinerama lens housing, it seems that the contraption was moved from set to set and bolted behind the HAL wall panels for each scene. The external domes on all the ship's HAL pannels must have been a simple glass or plastic shell' Think about it: a portable Cinerama eye would have saved lots of hassle and expense with optics and wiring:

[​IMG]

Here's my schematic of how I believe they showed HAL's red eye from every set panel:

[​IMG]

Obviously for a replica I can modify the outer radius, but there's no guarantee that the red light will diffuse and defract the same way...

Any suggestions, besides expensive trial & error? One that I would put forward is giving the panel more depth like in this photo:

[​IMG]

and adding the light and fisheye lens behind a flat pane of glass beneath the clear dome, thus duplicating the effect created by the original.

Discuss. :D

- Gabe

30. zorg

i'm sticking with the round holes :$

31. phase pistol

No, I ain't buying it. PERHAPS the camera setup with Cinerama wideangle lens was installed for "HAL's POV" shots that were required for the film. But I just simply do not believe that the huge Cinerama lens is lurking behind a simple glass dome, whenever we see it around the set.

Note how the black rim of the (small) wideangle lens PROTRUDES from the black "HAL" panel in these shots. Note how the rim seems to have WRITING on it, much as a typical wide angle lens has.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The look matches this replica exactly.

[​IMG]

And lastly, the wideangle Cinerama lens was extremely vaulable - irreplaceable really. Using it as set dressing would be insane, even for Kubrick. :lol

- k

32. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

Well, I'm flattered.

That's a very good likeness.

33. phase pistol

Hey HAL. How's your "enthusiasm for the mission" these days? :lol

34. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Karl, the two uses of the Cinerama are mutually exclusive. Otherwise, how do you explain the red light eminating from the REAR of the lens in this photo and two wires coming out the back? :p

[​IMG]

Please tell me you agree that you simply cannot use the lens for POV photography with a light shining through it... :lol

Where you see letters, I see reflections. I also see them here:

[​IMG]

Again, then how do you explain the Cinerama lens tied down to wood blocks with 2 wires coming out the back? :p I'll concede that there were likely 2 HAL eyes: the hero, which used the Cinerama lens for extreme closeups where the multiple optics gave more depth and complexity to the eye, and background HALs, where they used a clear dome, a red bulb, and perhaps a Kenko or other lens (or no optics at all). That would explain why in the photo directly above you see a very faint light and no optical distortions, refractions, or diffusion.

- Gabe

35. SurferGeek

I may have inadvertentently added to the confusion between the lens that was used to represent HAL and the lens that was used to film HAL's POV.

If you look at that lens above you will see it's mounted next to a monitor so for scale purposes it couldn't have been used as the representation of HAL.

I think that they are simply showing the lens that was use for the POV and have hooked up a red light source that would be similar to the light setup that was used for the actual HAL prop.

36. phase pistol

Well, you can't do both at the SAME TIME, no.... :lol

But this is actually an argument AGAINST the Cinerama lens being "HAL"... you'd be hooking it up with the light for use as a "prop", and then taking the light out and putting the camera on the lens to shoot the POV shots. It's madness. Kubrick was not that "low budget" I don't think. :rolleyes

Well I ALSO see something HERE, but the Brainroom is full of little slivers of light, so it's likely reflections. Probably white marks seen in FACE-ON shots of the lens are reflections from the set; white marks seen OBLIQUELY are writing.

[​IMG]

Because it's a "mount" the new owner of the lens made, specifically to resemble the HAL panel in the Pod Bay. It's not the original condition of the lens. :p

If you dig around some more, you'll find this pic of the setup. The design of this fake panel doesn't even look like the Pod Bay set.

[​IMG]

- k

37. Montagar

Montagar Legendary Member Community Staff

I wish they had archived the old HAL panel/lens thread because I am pretty sure that this ground was thoroughly covered. Isn't that the "large" HAL lens that they used in "2010"? I thought that a different lens was used somewhere else for something, but I could be completely off with the way that I am remembering all of this.

38. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Oh.

:D

- Gabe

39. phase pistol

OK check this out: this is from Dennis Gilliam, who made that "real lens" replica I posted earlier.

http://www.2001spacesuit.com/HAL.html

Gilliam's replica (left) compared to a photo shot on set

[​IMG][​IMG]

40. mgoob

mgoob Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Perhaps someone who owns a Kenko lens can put a red LED behind it and take a photo.

I know of at least 2 people who own Kenko lenses.

That would put some of this topic to bed.

41. ThePatriot29

ThePatriot29 New Member

This is slightly OT from the purist "Let's reproduce the best HAL replica we can", but I think it would be an awesome project to build up a computer case mod that is faced just like hal, with the proper decals, lens and LED.

42. SurferGeek

Someone's beat you to it...

http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow_viewe...009&po=1,00.asp

43. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Here's my HAL panel.

[​IMG]

It's a Lunar Models kit with some modifications. One of which being an improved grill and gel effect eye to disburse the LED light. I didn't build it myself, I ran into a guy on eBay who was making and selling his own HAL/SAL panels. I liked what he was doing and asked if he would do the same to my kit, and he did. It's great, although the HAL sticker doesn't seem to stick to well. I invited this same person to join the RPF, which he did, and had great plans for a sound chip with HAL quotes on it, parts, tips on finishing HAL panels, etc. But after a few months he dissapeared.

44. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mike, IMHO, the HAL effect has as much to do with the filming technique as it does with the distortions of the lense itself. I'm sure filters, etc. came into play to some degree. Tom W.'s got my lens right now, so you may want to see him for a pic.

For a repro, you'd be better off going down Gabe's road - and manufacturing something that will replicate the on-screen effect. Again, IMHO.
    -Raj

45. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

What do each of the squares represent? 1"? Or are they just to show proportions? I'm trying to figure out the size of the panel. I remember the "old HAL thread" (was that 2 years ago?) and the Kenko being mentioned. Too bad it's gone now. :unsure

:::EDIT:::

The "old" HAL thread was around 4/26/04. I found a bookmark I made on that day to the first page of the discussion. Of course the thread is long gone now. :(

46. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

I think the HAL panel was supposed to have the same dimensions as the monolith. The white squares indicate the dimensions of the monolith, and therefore show that the HAL panel is off?

47. Fetthunter

Fetthunter Sr Member

So, offhand does anyone know the dimensions of the HAL panel(s)?

48. Yorpheus

Yorpheus Well-Known Member

Simon, that is beautiful. Could I commission you to build another? for me? :love

49. Kris

Kris Sr Member

Sweet. :) I must build one .. one day.

50. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Simon, That is a totaly sweet build up :thumbsup

You know what would be really cool? One of these build ups but with one of Hyperdyne's electronics kits. Motion sensors and sound board, like his C-3PO. And maybe wire it to a rooms light switch so that when you flip it on, you get "Good morning, Dave" and when you flip it off, you get "Dave... Dave, what are doing" and the daisy song, like at the final shut down. That would be freakin' sweet :love .

-Fred