HAL 9000 from 2001: a space odyssey

simon_lewis

Hello all.

Just thought I'd show you some pics of a replica HAL 9000 from the Stanley Kubrick film '2001: a space odyssey' which was written by Arthur C Clarke.

I started one about six years ago but never got round to finishing it so ended throwing the parts out when we moved house.

Then I found myself filming an interview with Arthur's brother Fred (who lives locally - Arthur is in Sri Lanka) and decided to have another go so that I could use it as 'set dressing'. It was also a good reason to pull my finger out and make one at last.

sl_HAL9000_1.JPG

sl_HAL9000_2.JPG

sl_HAL9000_3.JPG

Fred.JPG

Having scoured the internet I found some plans that seemed to be in proportion but not to scale so I re-drew them and (sort of) followed them whilst still making some bits up as I went along. I built a simple base that could be removed for wall hanging and fixed on a battery holder.

Then I made another one for the hell of it as I had some spare parts - I may eBay one at some point to pay for the materials when I've finished the both.

HAL looked the part in the interview and I was really pleased to see thet the light in the lens looked just like the prop made for the film even though it was simply a red LED.

Am I the only RPF member with a HAL 9000 model? Get your tools out guys.

Cheers,

Simon.

That is a VERY impressive HAL, Simon. :)

As simple a prop as it is, I never tire of seeing a good replica, and to the best of my recollection, yours is the first all-metal buildup I've come across.

So when will you hook up the motion sensor and add all of HAL's memorable quotes to a sound chip? :D

- Gabe

Cool--great work Simon-congratulations on the interview.

I've been wanting to build up a HAL9000 for ages (one of my all-time favorite movies) maybe I'll finally get off my rump and actually do it.

Cheers,

Dave C

Very cool prop. What's equally cool is that it doubles as a monolith.

I suddenly have the urge to sing Daisy....Daisy...

That rocks. :D :thumbsup

Love to see replica props done well. There have been a few HALs over the years, some better than others. Here are the "correct" HAL proportions off of a screen grab of the film

HALproportions.jpg

There were slight variances among the HAL panels scattered around the Discovery set (possibly due to lighting and photography)

halscompared.jpg

Here's a decent replica I picked up awhile back. It's a little "short" proportionally (and wrong typeface on the label) but not too bad.

kt-HAL-bricks.jpg

What are you doing, Dave? Dave. Dave. Dave, I think you should sit down, take a stress pill, and think things over calmly. Dave?

HAL-restrictedentry-sign.jpg

- k

I am interested in the project as well.

However, I am knee deep in other ones right now.

If someone could provide help (blueprint / list of materials / decals) that would be much a ppreciated.

I would even be interested in buying one from someone.

There is a kit from Wilco models I believe. You can see it at Starshipmodeler.com

BTW, beautiful replica HAL .

Simon,

I would STRONGLY encourage you to consider a run of your Hal replica. I'm sure you've discovered ways to improve your design (ie, hiding the screws, adding sound, etc.), and getting a dozen or more people to commit to a metal HAL would enable you to carry out those improvements MUCH more affordably than your first two.

I invite you to e-mail me at proprunner@aol.com if you'd like to discuss, as I'd gladly offer you my CAD services gratis. :) (do a search on my posts and authored threads to see what I've been working on recently).

Best,

- Gabe

I wonder if a replica lens could be made by machining optical-quality plastic into an approximation of the lens elements... :unsure

The lens on mine is faked with a dimensionally sculpted "well" and a thin hollow vacformed clear shell over it, but what you really want is that depth and distortion from looking thru solid material.

kt-HAL-lensprofile.jpg

You might only need the outer lens element, as shown in this cutaway

7-5mm-cutaway.jpg

- k

Excellent. We'll expect to see a prototype, oh, say in the morning? :D

(seriously tho, I'm just proposing you'd want the outer solid lens elements, to distort the light a little... you don't need the darn thing to function as an actual wide-angle camera lens. :lol

HAL-brainroomchamber2.jpg

HAL05.jpg

SpiratoneWide.JPG

- k

Hey, if you guys are really into HAL, I can ask my dad exactly what he was made of. He told me before but I don't remember exactly, but my dad used to work for Control Data Corporation, adn they were the one's who actually supplied the computers that were HAL in the movie. HAL was in reality a real functioning mainframe computer.
Apparrently they actually made a fair number of them and they were in use in various government and university science departments in the 70's.

kenko_lens.JPG

Of course it would be more accurate once I have a few reference dimensions of the real lens, or close to it. :D

The lens could be prototyped using a 3D printer or stereolithography for around $100, and once cleaned up and sprayed with a clear coat to remove sanding marks, it could serve as a master for a clear acrylic or resin cast. :)

- Gabe

Originally posted by DJ-Panic@Jan 3 2006, 11:35 PM
Hey, if you guys are really into HAL, I can ask my dad exactly what he was made of.  He told me before but I don't remember exactly, but my dad used to work for Control Data Corporation, adn they were the one's who actually supplied the computers that were HAL in the movie.  HAL was in reality a real functioning mainframe computer. 
Apparrently they actually made a fair number of them and they were in use in various government and university science departments in the 70's.
[snapback]1150172[/snapback]​

HAL was just a camera lens (Curtis Fairchild 160 degree, 70mm lens and called it Cinerama 160) with red lighting from behind. Here's a great article on it as well as picture from the site:

http://www.2001exhibit.org/arts/models/kirk_hal9000.html

inverted_housing2.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back