H.R. Giger XiX 3D print

Triin

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So I decided that I wanted a 3D Giger wall thingy. I decided to 3D model his painting “XiX”.

8E5922AB-3265-4724-B084-3C1532975707.jpeg

I started with planning how to do this on an Ender 3 S1. Because the skull needed to be life size, I modeled the entire painting and then started systematically slicing up “panels” that can be glued to a final substrate. Of course because I wanted to get the scale correct, I started with plate 5. This is the skull section.

284776D9-8C10-4A75-85D8-0CE938E7DA0F.jpeg

E447A1EA-E7C9-4D29-88F6-7CDFAC5615D1.jpeg

0C23E8E2-2361-48D4-AACD-50263CFD11F0.jpeg

Of course I will post more once completed but this will be sanded, filled and then painted to closely match the actual painting .

More updates soon!

ok so the next section is modeled and ready for print.. spare time project so its a bit slow going...

Here are the next two parts split and ready ... (printing the right side now as I type this ... picture to come after )
I already have the section done under the skull ( the complete vertical middle )
enjoy!

Screenshot_5.png

Looking amazing! I recently visited the Giger museum in Switzerland, and I have a whole new appreciation for how much technical skill he had with the airbrush in particular. You're doing a great job capturing all the fine detail!

Thank you very much!! It’s definitely been a challenge trying to get things printing correctly. I have had some strange things happen in the middle of printing ( like my z probe randomly deploying in the middle of a print and wiping out layer lines and support structures lol). I can’t wait to have the whole thing completed , sanded and painted!
But yes… I have always been a huge fan of Giger since I saw this cable special like 30 years ago. Blew me away! Hopefully one day I’ll make it to Switzerland too!!

You should export your STL files at a higher resolution.
I see a lot of facets on round surfaces.
This way your prints will look so much smoother.

Exporting at a higher resolution won't slow the print down at all, it just increases file size. It will save you a ton of time in the long run by reducing manual cleanup.

Brilliant idea, and the execution is looking great. There's a running debate among 3D print folks about high res prints versus manual finishing. For me manual finish wins because you feel like you made it a bit more by being so hands on. I know most prop makers go with normal layer size and sand/fill the surface. That way you keep the detail.

Brilliant idea, and the execution is looking great. There's a running debate among 3D print folks about high res prints versus manual finishing. For me manual finish wins because you feel like you made it a bit more by being so hands on. I know most prop makers go with normal layer size and sand/fill the surface. That way you keep the detail.
I totally agree!

ok so with the holidays over and having my 3d printer free again.. Im back at it to finally complete this work! Ive started to print the next panel ( which takes about a day ).. so ill post some much needed updates soon!
Thanks everyone!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back