Groundhog Day Flip Clock and Channel 9 Microphone

VashDstampede

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's been a while since I posted, but it's rare that I get any time to work on projects nowadays.
Anyway, I finally got to work on a dream prop that I've wanted for years but never got around to until now.
Many of you know that the original base flip clock that was used for the movie was the Panasonic RC-6025. However, that is such a rare model to find and would be a costly purchase. So I recently bought the RC-6030 clock which is the same exact design, but in a simulated wood grain paint.
I took it apart and painted the cover and knobs in white and reassembled to get a quick replica build for display. However, I still haven't removed the white line border on the clear face, so I just temporarily stuck some black vinyl for the pictures.
I also bought a second clock to modify to play the music and movie sounds as well as modifying the number font to closely resemble the movie version since the internals were from a different flip clock.

I wanted something to go with the clock for display, so I figured I'd replicate something else that Bill Murray used a lot in the movie, which was the Channel 9 microphone.
After scrounging e-bay for a mic that closely resembled the one used in the movie and would be long enough to be able to hold the microphone square with logo, I found a vintage Olson mm-301 microphone which looked the part and purchased it. I also purchased the microphone ball and foam covers.
I had to modify the ball and hot glued it to the existing bottom ball portion that was on the microphone.
The grey foam cover was too light, so I dyed it to a darker grey, however it was not the right shape and was too thick. I thought I had to sand it to the right shape, but then for some reason I decided to flip it inside out and voila, that did the trick with the shape and thickness once mounted on the ball.

I then designed the logo and printed it on water slide decals and mounted it on Sintra pieces I cut out. I then designed a mount to the microphone which fits my specific mic and then painted and glued everything together. I may revisit the design of the mount since the gap is a little wider than I wanted.
Luckily I had some microphone Audio cable connector to complete the build.

Anyway, enough with the explanation, here are some pics:
2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg
REFERENCE.jpg

For any Groundhog Day fan, I hope this put a little smile to your face.

-Ely

Thanks Funky!
In case anyone wants to see the parts I used for this, here are pics of my second set of parts. You can see the difference flipping the foam cover inside out makes:
4.jpg

FLIP CLOCK.jpg

In case anyone wants to make the mic, here is the Channel 9 design I created. The dimensions I used was 2" x 2.25":
*Edit: I reworked it to be closer to the reference image I found. Just a slight difference, but OCD made me do it.
9 REVISED.jpg

Last edited:
So are you going to make it remote controlled like the screen used one and have every other set of numbers be the 5:59- 6:00 am
?

It's been a while since I posted, but it's rare that I get any time to work on projects nowadays.
Anyway, I finally got to work on a dream prop that I've wanted for years but never got around to until now.
Many of you know that the original base flip clock that was used for the movie was the Panasonic RC-6025. However, that is such a rare model to find and would be a costly purchase. So I recently bought the RC-6030 clock which is the same exact design, but in a simulated wood grain paint.
I took it apart and painted the cover and knobs in white and reassembled to get a quick replica build for display. However, I still haven't removed the white line border on the clear face, so I just temporarily stuck some black vinyl for the pictures.
I also bought a second clock to modify to play the music and movie sounds as well as modifying the number font to closely resemble the movie version since the internals were from a different flip clock.

I wanted something to go with the clock for display, so I figured I'd replicate something else that Bill Murray used a lot in the movie, which was the Channel 9 microphone.
After scrounging e-bay for a mic that closely resembled the one used in the movie and would be long enough to be able to hold the microphone square with logo, I found a vintage Olson mm-301 microphone which looked the part and purchased it. I also purchased the microphone ball and foam covers.
I had to modify the ball and hot glued it to the existing bottom ball portion that was on the microphone.
The grey foam cover was too light, so I dyed it to a darker grey, however it was not the right shape and was too thick. I thought I had to sand it to the right shape, but then for some reason I decided to flip it inside out and voila, that did the trick with the shape and thickness once mounted on the ball.

I then designed the logo and printed it on water slide decals and mounted it on Sintra pieces I cut out. I then designed a mount to the microphone which fits my specific mic and then painted and glued everything together. I may revisit the design of the mount since the gap is a little wider than I wanted.
Luckily I had some microphone Audio cable connector to complete the build.

Anyway, enough with the explanation, here are some pics:
View attachment 1607964
View attachment 1607966
View attachment 1607967View attachment 1607972
For any Groundhog Day fan, I hope this put a little smile to your face.

-Ely
Amazing job. Absolutely love this movie and in fact the the sound bite is what I use every morning when I wake up lol. Sometimes my lfe seems a lot like Groundhog Day, especially where I work lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back