Grimwood's 2014 Halloween Costume Entry

Grimwood

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Howdy ya'll. I've been working (some might say obsessively/fiendishly) on my Space Marine, Mors Dominus (Death Lord). Here is the first of many pics: (I apologize for the poor lighting. It is 11:30pm here so I had to take these in my basement)

IMG_2091.JPG

The Helmet is just a mock up at this point (form fit to my sizable noggin) to give some perspective in size. I have plans for a pepakura helmet which is taking some time (as all good things must).

I still have the front toe banding to apply, the knee bracers, and some other accouterments, plus plastidip, support structure for the inside, some sort of support system to hold the darned thing up.

IMG_2090.JPG

I'm not wild about the knee cappers, so will probably change them out.

I am awaiting my 3d printer to start making the skulls and purity seals specific to the Grey Knight.

Untitled.jpg

He's going to either resemble this fellow:

Screenshot_1.png

This fellow:

Screenshot_2.png

Or this fellow:

Screenshot_4.png

In reality, he'll take the best of all three and become a hybrid. The Emperor's Chosen (read: Red headed step child)

Bought some flexible PVC today for the support. Can't wait to get that installed!

Tomorrow I begin work on the stilts. I have all the supplies, purchased a jigsaw, then found that Harbor freight jigsaws do not include the blade for the saw. So. await I must.

I've started on the torso. When I first started this project, I thought buying supplies would never end. I still need a few things, but am going to see what I have in my overflowing craft room to use on this Heavenly monster. HF has a sale right now on foam... $7 on the foam mats. I bought 10 packs of them before the sale, since they weren't advertised. I also purchased 5 sheets of minicel. I think I'm good in the foam department.

I've found that rubber cement is the bomb in holding the foam together. It takes some work, and making an error in size can really mess things up (bonds quite nicely and firmly). But the seams are.. virtually seamless.

Thank you Hasenbrau for offering the templates! Makes things very easy!

Last edited:
Re: My Grey Knight! The Emperor's Chosen!

Interesting, are you making the normal Space Marine Power Armour or the Terminator Power Armour?

I'm not 100% sure which direction I'm going to go just yet. I figure I'd start out with the basic form, then build my way up, changing and modifying as I build. There are some very cool configurations. Here are the boots completed.

I've started work on the cod piece, and recently resized the pep file for the chest modifying it for foam.

IMG_2098.JPG

Thanks! I appreciate the insight. Doesn't really change too much for me though. I don't play Warhammer, don't know too much about the different chapters or designations. I just think it's a cool project. In fact, my Grey Knight may become a hybrid of many different chapters. :lol

Thanks! I appreciate the insight. Doesn't really change too much for me though. I don't play Warhammer, don't know too much about the different chapters or designations. I just think it's a cool project. In fact, my Grey Knight may become a hybrid of many different chapters. :lol

This isn't regarding a specific chapter, but a specific design of Power Armour. You must have done some research to figure out what you're doing...
Your standard Space Marine Power Armour looks like this:
UM_Mk7powerarmor.jpg

The pictures you're using as a template are Tactical Dreadnought Armour, commonly referred to as Terminator Armour:
Firedrakes_Terminator.jpg

For a size comparison:

40k%u002520model%u002520height%u002520comparison.jpg

It is my understanding that Hasenbrau's design is of a standard Space Marine's Power Armour and not the Terminator Power Armour. You'll have to find the pep file for the Terminator's chestpiece and some of the other parts too, I don't see a problem using the same legs or arms/hands.

Thanks! There's a lot of stuff out there on Space Marines. I'm doing the Power armor. The research I did was based on what appealed to me. Who knows, perhaps I'll create Dreadnought Terminator Power armor. :)

By the way... how's your Space Marine project coming along?

image.jpg

Hes almost 7' tall. Missing the shoulders, and a few smaller detail pieces,but is coming together. If this keeps up, I'll be able to wear this for Halloween! Had to do some modifications to the stilts (not shown) because my size 12's were a wee too big to fit on the stilts and caused some issues with the front of the boot. I like the way it's coming together!

Next up, shoulders! Have to buy some wood for the base, then can start building them up. Then the back pack.

I'm going to plastidip the suit, maybe pva some of it.

Not 100% sold on the helmet yet.

Eventually I will take him outside to get some photos in the sun. It's pretty windy here today.

Made some more progress today! Late at night again... Dark pictures.
image.jpgT

Abdomen started, helmet in progress, belt and pelvis in progress. I realize just how flimsy this armor is and the modifications that will be necessary to make it work.

image.jpg

Im going to trim the torso a little, add some embellishments, make it all pretty.

the armor looks floppy because of my terrible stand. The stuff is basically supported only by itself. I need to figure out the best support system that won't add too much weight to the whole costume.

and those shoulders... Will start working on those soon.

We'll, I had to redo the abdomen. This is a big setback because I have used up all my useable pieces of foam that would fit this part. I have resorted to using a thinner 1/4" piece, double layered, which hopefully will do the job. I attempted to make this elaborate tube system layered with precisely placed blocks of foam, but the end result ended up looking out of place on Sir Tiny knight, as I have dubbed him.

However, the new abdomen is in place, and I have returned to the simpler abdomen most common in the grey knight (the three horizontal bars)

Today, I plan to take him out for a walk, since the stilts are complete as are the lower legs. All that's left are the embellishments to make things stand out. I've started on the harness system as well as the supports for the interior.

A word to those who build thy own stilts. Walk carefully, and don't allow your dog out at the same time. (Actually he was out first, and was sleeping in the grass.) The minute I started clopping along (the wood sounds... well, cloppy at this point) he rushed over to see what I was up to, which at that point, was about 7'. He nearly tripped me up, but I was able to maintain my balance.

The stilts work well, and now I am going to work on attaching the thigh piece to the shin by using sylgians excellent flexible pvc option. It's definitely coming together!

In other news, I made this:

IMG_2137.JPG

I had some scrap foam (actually I have a metric ton of scrap pieces) so I put this together. I plan to fill with extruded foam to give it some heft, add the additional pieces, embellish it, and will use it with my costume.

image.jpg
The next part has arrived.! Sounds very cool and pretty loud. May need an external speaker, will depend on how it sounds when inside the suit.

Finished the knee pieces, now just need to rig the support system. In progress!

image.jpgNo shoulders yet and only the basic framework. No support structure yet, pieces are all separate. Nothing bolted or glued together. So far, the armor is very light although with the sealer (plastidip!) paint and clear coat, embellishments and effluvia, I imagine it'll be a bit heavier. All hail the Mark I who agreed to stand in as the glorious Grey Knight helm for this shot. As he stands (sans helmet) I'm 6'8". I didn't realiZe when the shot was taken, my abs had slipped. Happens as you grow older. :). I have the walking test video to add. Expect that soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163

My walking test! Please keep in mind nothing is glued together and things are a wee bit crooked. Will be fixed! The boots need to be fastened to the base, foam needs to be added to the bottom to eliminate the clopping. I also need to trim the thighs if I ever want to attach the thighs to the pelvic area.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back