Grimwood's 2014 Halloween Costume Entry

Re: My Grey Knight! The Emperor's Chosen!

A little frustrated right now... Have to re-do the shoulders. Both have worse seams after the caulk. Need to research the proper way to smooth things out.

So the first photo is of the 1st leg detail. After some plastidip, paint and highlights (as well as weathering) it should be good to go,

IMG_2231.JPG

As you can see from the following photo, the seams are very obvious. I sanded them down, they felt pretty smooth, but once I applied the plastidip, man, did those seams stand out. I think I may have applied too much caulk. So, about 10 hours of work down the drain. Not to mention 2.5 coats of plastidip per shoulder.

IMG_2232.JPG

However, I haven't given up! I vow that my second set will be much better than the first. I completed one already (cut from foam and glued together) and the seams look much better than the first set. I already cut out the second, and now just need to glue it together.

Friends, be sure to work in a well ventilated area. I started seeing 7' tall space marines doing the watusi in a chorus line because of the abundance of fumes from my contact cement.

Tomorrow I plan to paint the legs!

Success! 1 seam to fill. I can't possibly mess that up!

Mark2.JPG

There's just one seam that runs down the side of each Pauldron. Adding some trim work to them now.

ok so you changed up lol...

Trust me use the wood and use the guide if you look at mine I put the foam on the outer side for a guide then glue away. I still need to trim the inside..

Last edited:

Helmet!! Still waiting on the electronics, but I'll get them in the next couple of days. The helmet is great! Definitely needs a liner of some sort. I was afraid it would be too small, boy was I wrong!

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

Supports for the shoulders are in progress. My first attempt didn't go quite the way I planned... but, ever moving forward!

IMG_2241.JPG

Space Marine selfie... I'm messaging this one to the emperor!
IMG_2239.JPG

Never got around to plastidipping the legs.. Probably get to that tomorrow. Those darned shoulders still aren't 100%, but I'm going to use them anyway.

At this point, the entire suit is plastidipped and ready for paint. I've been working steadily on the power fist and other accoutrements. The weather has taken a turn for the worst, so painting may have to wait a bit.

IMG_2251.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2248.JPG
    IMG_2248.JPG
    616.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2254.JPG
    IMG_2254.JPG
    600.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2254.JPG
    IMG_2254.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 72

Updates! First coat is finished. Working on embellishments for the shoulders, doodads and greeblies.

Not your dad's Grey Knight. :)

full1.jpg

legs1.jpg

Perhaps my favoritest saying..

"If you desire peace... prepare for war."

war.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2257.JPG
    IMG_2257.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 66

Attachments

• IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    553.5 KB · Views: 71

I going to have to say they look way too high, But if you like it... I'm thinking of cutting mine down

IMG_2300.jpg

Now that you mention it, they are a little high. Some adjustments are in order. The system I designed allows for maximum adjustment. Will have to start working on lowering my arms. :)

Making progress!

Here's a couple of pics!

tinyside.jpg

eye.jpg

I made a sleeve out of plastic mesh and attached it to the shoulder. I'll use velcro to attach it to the gauntlet to help hold it in place. I've also used this stuff on the back of the legs to hide my chicken sticks. It's flexible, easy to work with, and best of all, cheap! Considering how much Ive spent on this project...

tinymesharm.jpg

Your friendly neighborhood TinyKnight!

tiny2.jpg

Attachments

• tinyfront.jpg
    tinyfront.jpg
    924.4 KB · Views: 76

Adjustments to shoulders completed! I'll upload some photos later today. I've also started a MarkII Bolter, much better than my previous design. I've also installed the MEga stomp Battle although this caused me some problems as to where to put it. I also created the arm and leg sleeves out of black mesh since I couldn't get the ducting to fit me. It looks great and really pulls the costume together.

Im glad that this thing is finally nearly finished. Just a few finishing touches and I'll be ready for Halloween and my first con!

Everything is looking good Grim. And yeah I think the shoulders could come down some.

image.jpg

My bolter in progress! It's all one piece but does have some dimension to it. Cut from extruded foam and lots of little greeblies. I have lots of work to do prior to painting.

Fun!!

Everything is looking good Grim. And yeah I think the shoulders could come down some.

thanks Lifeburn! I'll be doing a walkabout vid soon. Need help getting into it, then to film me. Shoulders have been adjusted.

image.jpgimage.jpg

The shoulders could probably go lower but I'm happy with where they rest.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back