Greetings from the UK. University lecturer attempting to create Iron Man mk 7.

LewiG

Hello everyone,

I am a university lecturer from the UK. I am attempting to create an Iron Man costume using 3d printing to show my students another potential career pathway that's opening up to them.

I teach 3d, VFX and game modeling techniques using industry software to prepare them for a job in their desired career in the UK. Thanks to vfx companies like Weta Digital and advancements in 3d printing a lot of Film costumes and props use 3d printing.

At the university we have some pretty good 3d printers which hopefully I can use for the whole build.

I need your help/advice finishing my build. I have no idea what types of paint or primer to use to be film accurate with the colours. Additionly what is available in the UK as customs like to make any imports extremely expensive.

Any advice on weathering/dirt/battle damage would be greatly appreciated as well!
20150819_235908.jpg

20150819_235838.jpg

Hello everyone,

I am a university lecturer from the UK. I am attempting to create an Iron Man costume using 3d printing to show my students another potential career pathway that's opening up to them.

I teach 3d, VFX and game modeling techniques using industry software to prepare them for a job in their desired career in the UK. Thanks to vfx companies like Weta Digital and advancements in 3d printing a lot of Film costumes and props use 3d printing.

At the university we have some pretty good 3d printers which hopefully I can use for the whole build.

I need your help/advice finishing my build. I have no idea what types of paint or primer to use to be film accurate with the colours. Additionly what is available in the UK as customs like to make any imports extremely expensive.

Any advice on weathering/dirt/battle damage would be greatly appreciated as well!
View attachment 518642

View attachment 518641
A lot of people tend to use spray cans i have used candy apple red over a dparlky silver base coat under that a good primer for the gold i used nissan sunburst gold had it mixed at auto shop search candy apple uk they sell ready mixed rfu but you need to use a sprayer to apply it they sell it also in cans but works out more expensive depends really on what kind of finish your looking for [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Lew and welcome to the RPF :thumbsup
Best of luck with your build; if there's anyone who can help you,it's the RPF crafters

A lot of people tend to use spray cans i have used candy apple red over a dparlky silver base coat under that a good primer for the gold i used nissan sunburst gold had it mixed at auto shop search candy apple uk they sell ready mixed rfu but you need to use a sprayer to apply it they sell it also in cans but works out more expensive depends really on what kind of finish your looking for [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply! Could you post some images or links to the paints you used?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Lewi,
I use Halfords Ford Arizona gold and their Ford Pepper Red,then for weathering 1000 wet and dry,Tamiya German Grey and both raw sienna and burnt umper paint with wire wool,can send you pics if you give me your email.
Regards
Bruce

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back