Greeblie Identification Help

Yikes!

I recall a video or something on these old machines. The head assembly swapped out easily (the assembly you purchased). Swappable for wear as well as alignment issues. Ampex owned the magnetic media machines market (audio and video) until Studer came along and ate their lunch for audio machines.

I’m sure I speak for many who are curious to see the dissected head.

I have looked at everything I have in terms of image material and I am convinced that resin copies were used for the helmets. There are a lot of indications that speak for it and thus Propstore's statement would also apply, for example if you look at this picture. Usually all holes in the original disc are open. Here are 3 closed ones and something like that can sometimes happen when casting resin.In addition, the magnets look a little different here in blue on the original disk.

Attachments

• 7lhfCSj_LI.jpg
    7lhfCSj_LI.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 76
Well, whether they were resin copies or not, it still seems like just making a replica is going to be a whole lot easier than tracking down the actual, real head piece. I'm almost finished with my model (after going back and remaking it from the beginning) and I'm liking how it's looking so far, much better than my last version. I've only done the top half so far, I haven't done the bottom half yet...
New-Disc-Greeblie2021-01.jpg

I'm thinking about printing the blue stripes as separate pieces like the real head but I haven't decided yet.

That looks very good, but I would replace the two parts that I have marked in your picture with smaller Phillips screws. Looks like the original to me. Otherwise it's almost perfect

Attachments

• New-Disc-Greeblie2021-01_LI.jpg
    New-Disc-Greeblie2021-01_LI.jpg
    920.6 KB · Views: 55
It would need a lot of tiny screws and steady hands to put together. Eye glass screws probably. I’d also be afraid that rivets might crack the plastic. But I could always do two options, ones with and without the printed screws and rivets.

Well boooo, the ebay auction for the quad head got refunded, as they couldn't find the part due to a recent move. I think it will be relisted, so I will keep an eye out for it.

Well boooo, the ebay auction for the quad head got refunded, as they couldn't find the part due to a recent move. I think it will be relisted, so I will keep an eye out for it.
They couldn't find the whole item that they sold? That thing looked pretty huge in the listing picture. Big and heavy. XD

They indicated it was still boxed up and they havnt found it yet from the move. Will keep an eye out for another one

My connection never panned out. I specifically requested these for "research" and they offered to ship the whole machine to me, which was heavy, and then never followed up on that either

It is the recording head from an AMPEX unit. I was able to get one last week and tore it down. A very expensive greeb for sure....

Yes sorry from an old 2 inch tape recording machine for media (news broadcasting, etc) type stuff. I dug through the head unit and didnt see anything else I recognized.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back