Greeata (Rodian dancer from Jabba's palace) -- black eye bulb domes?

detenten

I'm toying with the idea of creating Greeata. My primary concern for the costume is visibility-- I almost entirely avoid mask-based costumes because I wear them to cons and in Mardi Gras parades after dark, usually making peripheral vision a huge safety issue. Greedo masks are few and far between on eBay (I don't think they've been produced since 1995 or so), so I hope/plan to sculpt and cast a mask so I have full custom control over my field of vision. I have figured around 3.75"-4" is the max trade off of having the biggest field of vision vs. having the bulbs be too large.

I want to buy the eye bulbs first off and determine if this is a fool's errand from the get-go. I can find acrylic hemispheres, or $1000 optically clear hemispheres, but I have yet to find any *black* hemispheres, and very little successful information on dying acrylic black or applying automobile tint to curved surfaces. Someone has done some dying on plastic yo-yos with RIT and heat, which I might try. Apparently there's an automobile tint called "Nightshades" that apparently Volpin has used with some success on Daft Punk helmets, but even he didn't end up recommending it...! A fellow here on RPF was working with Darth Vader lenses, but I don't have a vacuform machine to dye first and then shape.

So I think I'd prefer to buy some black ones already!

Does anyone have tips on purchasing "see-through" black domes, or dying black domes? Or would these be the part to splurge on to have custom made (by who?)?

Thanks!!!

14514745629_c462f24f3f_b.jpg

My 4" domes arrived--- They're way too big!

I don't think security camera domes come smaller than four inches-- at the very least, I'm having a hard time finding any!

The search continues...

Contact woodman, he cast me a set of eyes for my greedo. I got blue, they are not perfectly clear, but did the job. Now I need to get my fan / battery situation resolved.

might want to email troy from http://sevenheadstenhorns.com/. he has a few molds, including rodian, that he will recast as a custom order. he paints them all by hand so sending him a few pics would would not cost more. i have a mon calamari mask from him and i couldn't be happier. this is my second year attending cons as a mon calamri jedi.

Thanks for the recommendations!
There's some absolutely incredible Rodian producers out there, Woodman was definitely helpful to chat to!

I have to admit, a lot of the fun is being able to say I made it myself (even though my sculpting skills don't hold a candle to these guys!). (I also have to admit I'm not dedicated enough to screen accuracy for this project to justify a commission cost, though these masks look to be worth every cent of amazing craftsmanship put into them!)

I might have a go at casting a resin dome, I have a mold already that would be just perfect. It might provide better visibility than I think.

I'm also giving these goggles a look-see; we'll see when they arrive in two days.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back