Grave of the Fireflies - Sakuma drops

Max Power

Hi Guys,
I normally lurk these boards, however whilst dusting today I came across this little item that I figured would be nice to share with you all.
I have had a quick search and I can't see that anyone has posted it.
This is a can of 'Sakuma Drops' that was used in the 1988 Studio Ghibli movie 'Grave of the Fireflies'. For anyone who hasn't seen this movie, I urge you to go watch it. It is one of the greatest anti-war movies I have seen. It is an extremely powerful piece of art!

The sweets themselves are like a boiled/hard candy and have many different fruit flavours. I came across these whilst shopping in Cyber Candy in Birmingham and just had to get them. They cost about £3 a tin which is an extremely cheap price to pay for a nice little prop replica.

Here is what they look like in the anime:

GraveOfTheFireflies-Setsuko-Seita-Cont30.jpg

untitled.png

Here is the actual can you can buy:
cd95c4be.jpg

c558de99.jpg

b5df25fa.jpg

They are quite a nice accurate representation of the can design, however I am not massively keen on the anime artwork on the back.

Anyways I hope you enjoy, I just had to share this!

Last edited:
Cool find! The Japanese often put real (sometimes namebrand) products in their films, just never thought to look for these.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back