Grapple Gun from Batman the Animated Series

captainmoose

Hey All,

I just joined the RPF and wanted to post about my first prop making experience (though since it's from an animated series, I don't know if it counts as a prop, you tell me)! I recently purchased a Prusa i3 Mk2S 3D printer and wanted to make something cool form my brother for Christmas. Since we are both fans of Batman the Animated Series, I figured the Grapple Gun would make a great gift! I modeled it in OnShape and printed in black PLA and then did my best to paint it. But, enough talk, for now, let's see some pictures.

Of course, the Grapple Gun wasn't enough, I wanted to create a case for it that looked like it came from a WayneTech research lab. So I 3D printed and painted a label, and I made a stencil to spray paint a label on the side.

To create the grapple gun I printed it in 4 separate parts that were held together with 1" long and 0.25" diameter pins. The front loading part is removable so it can have the feel of being loadable, and the button is just a square momentary switch that I picked up from my local electronics shop. See drawing below for the basic assembly.

For my first attempt, I am fairly pleased but I can already think of lots of. First off I wish I new had to better deal with seems from having multiple parts, what do you folks do to fix that? Also, I wish was a better painting, but I guess that comes with practice, I wasn't sure how to paint something to look like it was either painted or powder coated metal. The other thing that I wish I had done is sealed the paint job, but I didn't have the time nor did I know what to seal it with. It could also be sturdier and for that mater actually shoot a grappling hook, but that's for another version.

So what do you folks think? Any tips for making it better?

Also, I hope I put this in the right thread.

Welcome,
The prop you make doesn't matter what the source is, (movie, TV, comic, literature, history, game, etc) it's all good.
Although being super hero related it will be moved to the DC comic/movies section of the forum.

Sadly your images aren't coming up.
Looking forward to seeing your project.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back