Grail diary questions and support thread

kevin926

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, like many others here, I am currently involved with constructing my grail diary.

I have read every thread here I possibly can and I have noticed a common trait to each of them.

Some questions asked simply go unanswered

I dont think those questions are being ignored, however I do believe the questions simply get buried or past over with newer comments or progress reports.

With the mods permission I would like to start a questions or instructions only thread here so those questions will now have attention and be answered.

Please do not post your progress or finished diary on this thread unless it's for a picture reference to answer a given question.

Thank you for your consideration.
Kevin

Last edited:
So my first set of questions has partially been answered by some and a special thanks to Pascal who helped guide me in the right direction.

1. Was ink.
Answer was use a calligraphy set or fountain pen with permanent ink that won't run when wet.

I used this set and purchased additional ink packs.

2. Was paper to use, however I ended up buying a blank diary off etsy.

Here's my unanswered question.

The unfolding map seen on many diary limelight s

I didn't see this in the movie (unless I missed it)
Is this idealized and where might I find reference to this.

Thanks in advance

Please post a picture of which map you mean. There's four (maybe five) maps in the production props and all of them fold out in one way or the other, but many story diaries use other maps too and I want to be sure we're on the same page.

I dont have picture handy. I've seen these in other books. I didn't realize there's more than 1 and I haven't seen where to insert or glue a map in any of the instructions.

Please post a picture of which map you mean. There's four (maybe five) maps in the production props and all of them fold out in one way or the other, but many story diaries use other maps too and I want to be sure we're on the same page.
In a description of a diary you listed, it says multiple fold out maps.

So I would say all of the fold out maps seeing how I only thought there was 1. Where do they go, what are they, where can I find them and are these idealized seeing how I either didn't see it or missed it in the movies.

Thank you so much for helping me.
Kevin

The Appleton & Co Map of Egypt and Sinai from 1883(-ish) is what you need and there are four maps that are derived from it that go in the hero/production diaries. They're all cropped from sections of the same overall map and a couple of them can be seen during parts of the movie when either Indy or Henry are flipping through it.

This was part of a recent discussion on COW and a member there recently posted this link:

vlcsnap-4957345.png

vlcsnap-2018-03-18-17h39m05s255.png

So my first set of questions has partially been answered by some and a special thanks to Pascal who helped guide me in the right direction.

1. Was ink.
Answer was use a calligraphy set or fountain pen with permanent ink that won't run when wet.

I used this set and purchased additional ink packs.

2. Was paper to use, however I ended up buying a blank diary off etsy.
Hi, Kevin926 -
Hope you don't mind me chipping in as a "newbie." I believe the recommended paper is 100 -110 gsm Clairefontaine cream laid paper. Most Etsy diaries I see are like a blank diary I bought off Ebay: the paper was thick (110gsm?) handmade paper with a coarse texture.

So I don't want to derail other threads so I'm coming back to this one.

crude-leap.jpg

The Obi-Wan club shows all the hero grail pages in order. I watched the movie again last night and as clear as day, this photo is there. It covers 2 pages. It is not listed in any form on the obi wan lay out. My question is where does this fit and is it part of the signatures or only in 1 or more spots throughout

Also, there seems to be a few different ideas on the proper size of the diary. It almost depends on who you ask. I'm going with club obi-wan specs though.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back