Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

First off, I'd like to thank everyone so far for trying their best to help me out with this. I really appreciate it guys!
Ridire Firean , thanks for the questions and I'll try my best to answer them. First off, regarding the age wearing where the clamp would've been: you can blame that up to me. I inserted it in a few spare Graflex clamps while I was playing around with the idea of using it in one of my projects. I can see some junk rubbed off on it. The upper end of the tubing doesn't look modified at all. You got some minor wear that you'd expect from something that's probably decades old. You can see more wear near the bottom of the... bottom and the battery spring. Honestly I was trying to look for a better way to phrase that! The sort of wear that I've seen before in legit Graflex bottoms.

I'm going to put forth a theory or two here because I too have come to the belief that this is very likely a vintage Graflex bottom. I say this because I was just delivered a legit 2-Cell that, upon inspect and comparison to not only other 3-Cells but also other 2-Cells, there's a noticeable difference in the 2-Cell top being thinner to the ones I've compared it to. It's not as thin as this bottom but it is definitely thinner. I have no idea why either of these are different compared to the other ones. I'm just going to spit-ball one or two possibilities: maybe these were made around the end of their life-span and the Graflex company started to cut back on the amount of metal used. Maybe these were produced around the time of the metal shortages in World War II.

Also I'd take more photos but ATM my phone is in a dire need of a recharge.

I got this cheap a while back and I'd like you folks to take a look at this and see what's up. The buyer advertised it as a 'replica' but I cannot recall anytime a replica maker created a Graflex bottom with the 'Manufactured by Graflex INC' stamp at the bottom except for Larbel and they had the very noticeable 'PB' tell on it. It's not as thick as your average Graflex bottom from what I've noticed by comparisons.

And forgive the first photo, it does have the little battery spring in it.

For what it's worth I also have a 3-cell bottom like that with the same Graflex Inc./patent number stamping that is thinner than usual. I have no reason to doubt its authenticity - got it two years ago in a lot of random flash tubes from a vintage camera seller (box had a couple weird ones, misc reflectors, a Heiland, and Graflite slaves IIRC). In the auction photos the 3-cell bottom was obscured, sticking out of a Graflite reflector elbow and I don't think the seller realized what it was. Looks very much like yours.

Great thread.

I'm not very well versed in proper ID's of Graflex so I thought I'd post my supposedly vintage Graflex I scored for a decent price a few years ago. I didn't break the bank on it, but I'd be very happy to find out it was legitimate and not a replica from the members on here.

Hjh8e0Y.jpg 0dPFb44.jpg ytPcNvn.jpg A1pdgSS.jpg UHAVJMY.jpg Yl6Mz5G.jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like honest wear and honest accumulated dirt/grime. Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't believe any replica has ever accomplished a rivet through the bunny ears.

Definitely looks like honest wear and honest accumulated dirt/grime. Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't believe any replica has ever accomplished a rivet through the bunny ears.

Correct, I don’t know any replica beside the old larbel’s but those had a different playing finish you can spot right away

Thank you.

Speaking of, whats the best way to clean a vintage flash?

I’ve had good luck with simple green. I use that for everything. Then I polish it with mothers polish if I’m going for a ANH, TLJ look

Ill try that, thank you.

Was it ever confirmed which versions of the replica Graflex Roman sent in for Episode 9?

Can you guys take a look at this and tell me if you think it's genuine? Don't want to spend that kind of money if it's suspect. Also, do you think the price is fair? **Please do not post live ebay autions**

it seems to be a real vintage early folmer, it looks really great.
It's a bit expensive I would say, I woul definitelly take advantage of the make offer option there.
cheers

Well, they accepted my offer so it looks like it's joining my collection. :D I've been thinking about it and I like the way it looks with the reflector on, so I think I might just display it as is rather than making it into a saber.

Well, they accepted my offer so it looks like it's joining my collection. :D I've been thinking about it and I like the way it looks with the reflector on, so I think I might just display it as is rather than making it into a saber.
Awesome, happy for you! (y)

Just picked up a 3 cell that is Graflex Inc. with a Patent. It also has the sharp angled glass eye, and the smooth dark pin in the lever. I'm thinking middle of production?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back