Graflex Red Button Knurl Pattern Teeth Per Inch

cnccus

Long time lurker, first time poster, I recently bought myself a mini lathe and am using it as a light at the end of the tunnel for finals week, I want to bang out a bunch of props over winter break and was just trying to get everything I need for when the time comes. On my list is to finish a Graflex that I made from an aluminum tube a long time ago, I never made the button or glass eye for it. I have a QCTP for my lathe and it came with a knurling attachment to do diamond knurls, but I need a wheel to do straight knurls. Looking at reference from this thread :
http://www.therpf.com/f79/graflex-variations-facts-vs-replica-144206/?highlight=graflex+button+knurl
and a CAD drawing I have of Luke's lightsaber, I calculated that for the .75 inch diameter button, the circumference would be 2.36 inches and if I counted the teeth from the above view in the thread on the knurl patterns, there is 50 or 51 teeth. Meaning I would need 20 teeth per inch on the wheel, right?
Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing and know what I should do? Anyone know a place to get cheap knurling wheels? McMaster sells the size I need for almost $14 but I'll get killed on shipping for just the one wheel.
The holder I have accepts 1/2in diameter wheels, 3/16 wide and a 3/16 hole.
Long story short, does anyone know what type of knurling wheel i need to make the knurls on a graflex red button/glass eye and where I could get one for cheap?

I do not see where your located. But I order from the littlemachineshop.com. They are in Pasadena, California.

I'm in New York, I'm not worried about shipping, just shipping from mcmaster in particular tends to run a little high judging from past experience. Little machine shop has larger diameter knurl wheels than the ones that fit in my holder, its an 0XA holder so everything is scaled down from regular ones. It will accept 1/2 diameter knurls and all the ones littlemachineshop sells are 3/4 inch ones. They sell the specific size I have but no wheels for it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back