Graflex numbers

MUCH better pics! Thank you! I really just used my phone camera to take a photo of my TV screen for my shots.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

OK, with DCarty’s pics, the clamp is now oriented the same direction as the lightsaber.

Unless there is mylar tape over the clamp in the lightsaber pic, the corrosion near the clamp retention tabs do not appear to match.

So why are Dann's pics flipped? Or are dcarty's flipped?

I also see a missing brass pin and a missing screw between the rectangular sockets.

So why are Dann's pics flipped? Or are dcarty's flipped?

I also see a missing brass pin and a missing screw between the rectangular sockets.
Not sure, I just snapped the paused TV screen. His pics could've been from a different scene. There are several shots like that in the movie.

I also noticed the missing pin and screw! Pretty cool.

Alley, not sure what you mean about the clamp. It's setup the same way in both sets of pics, with the "E X" visible on the clamp.

Yeah, it's weird but I would have to say that Dann's photos are inverted. The show is called "An Adventure in Space and Time". I made frame grabs from an HD rip played with VLC Media. Assuming I didn't miss any, there are four scenes which feature that Graflex and in each of them the flash is oriented screen left (attached to the right side of the Speed Graphic where the mount is on the real camera). Not sure why the pics ended up inverted other than that the forum seems to do weird things to photos on occasion.

The four scenes take place at approximately: 21:43; 58:52; 1:07:00; and 1:10:49. My frame grabs are from the 1:07:00 scene (I suspect that it's the same shot re-used at least once).

Hope this helps.

Dave

It isn’t that the clamp band is upside down, it’s that the posted images are flopped. This was not initially clear.

Not sure, I just snapped the paused TV screen. His pics could've been from a different scene. There are several shots like that in the movie.

I also noticed the missing pin and screw! Pretty cool.

Alley, not sure what you mean about the clamp. It's setup the same way in both sets of pics, with the "E X" visible on the clamp.

Quick comparison. Very close, but I don't think we have a match. :(

STAMPED_GRAFLEX_WHO.jpg

Here you go. Mirrored image at 0:22:21

I knew I wasn't crazy!
c31f6fd38ad94fede2026fc3fbb167e5.jpg

I gotta say, it's SCARY how close those numbers are. I mean, what are the chances they'd look that similar? Are they not stamped by hand? The first three characters look to me like an exact match. I wish we had crisper pictures of the ANH Graflex.

Last edited:
I think this is the same prop. Look how the four doesn’t come as far down as the ones do. Could the numbers after it be the same but look off cause of how old and crappy photos and video was beck then?what was made first,that episode of doctor who or a new hope?

It's not an actual vintage episode of Doctor Who, it's a relatively new film, made just a couple years ago, that's a story of the inception and production of the original series.

So there's a huge gap between the two productions.

I'd be surprised if it's the exact same flash, but I suppose it is entirely possible. Both were shot in England, so it's possible they came from the same source. I wonder if there's a hole in the bottom for the D ring rivet...

I do agree though, that the placement of the numbers is ridiculously similar, if not the same.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I am shocked that this isn’t get more attention. Have we found the original ANH Graflex after all these years? Or at least the one used for the post production chronicles photos? Weren’t a lot of the pieces returned to the prop house which is why Obi-Wan’s ANH saber was disassembled then reassembled for the same chronicle photos?

It seems somewhat poetic, if this is the same one, that the inspiration for so many “destroyed” Graflex flashes returned to service as a flash.

Can we reach out to the production team to see if the bottom tube has a hole?

Those are SCSARY close.

it could be that someone in the UK Stamped their photography equipment (military, private) with the same stamp.

Or this could be a flash that went back through a few hands, like has been said.

I think the views that the number on the Graflex Clamp is a UK Military Serial Number is correct, I was thinking the same after comparing the similarity with my RAF S92 MPP Kit.

14A/4679 - Microflash
114A/63 - Graflex 3-Cell Flash

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back