Graflex numbers

I think the views that the number on the Graflex Clamp is a UK Military Serial Number is correct, I was thinking the same after comparing the similarity with my RAF S92 MPP Kit.

14A/4679 - Microflash
114A/63 - Graflex 3-Cell Flash

I think you solved this mystery. Glad we finally know why those numbers are there.
Now I just need to find someone who knows how to stamp numbers into metal. I bought metal number punches that you hit with a hammer and it is supposed to punch the numbers into the metal but I failed miserably at it. I ruined one replica clamp already. So I decided to give up and try to find someone who knows what there doing to do it right.

Congrats Ian! Well since the cats out of the bag now.... here's more corroborating evidence:

Attachments

• RAF Graflex 1.jpg
    RAF Graflex 1.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 119
  • RAF Graflex 2.jpg
    RAF Graflex 2.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 122
  • RAF Graflex 3.jpg
    RAF Graflex 3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 126
I will tell ya the Stamper has some good eyes and a steady hand.. those numbers are straight

Sometimes stamping kits have holders that will line up whatever stamps you insert into them. I used one at the second machine shop I worked in, around 2005-2007.

And even if you don't have a holder, the shanks are usually square, so you can hold them all together as a bunch and whack them all at once. Though it looks like on the Graflexes further up in the thread, that possibly the 114 or 114A were stamped, then the rest of the numbers separately.

The Dr Who flash looks like it could be close to the one in the auction, I can make out a possible 114A7"" (edit, 114A/""), and the Star Wars one kinda looks like 114A1"" (edit, 114A/""), the"" being numbers I can't be sure about.

Man, that's so awesome that y'all found one with stamped numbers, and figured it out!! Nice!

EDIT: Oops, I'm sorry, I was seeing a "7", but I see now it's a slash "/". Derp!

EDIT #2: Another derp! I've been kinda half reading the threads today, but now I finally see that lots of flashes were stamped with the same numbers. I can only blame myself so much, though, all this info is spread out over several threads! :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back