Graflex flash prices .......warning possible spoilers!

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all
Been looking for a Graflex flash on evilBay and saw one for 450$$$???
Is this a joke? Is the value of these going up because of the new films coming out? Even if that's true we are not likely to see the Graflex lightsaber in the new film. We all know luke lost it on Bespin in Empire(Best of the Star Wars films). So why the increase in prices? I'd rather purchase it from another source other than ebay but besides the junkyard here not sure where else to go. Id even be willing to get one through parks but it's a long wait.

Last edited:
Re: Graflex flash prices

$450 is a little on the high side, but prices are headed in that direction again. There is a rumor that a Graflex based lightsaber will make an appearance in the new films, so that may be why. I think "Star Wars Fever" in general is also to blame. Now is a good time to sell a Graflex, but not buying one.

I know which you mean.
The seller of this one always sells Graflex flashs for high prices. But since you could buy them for 200 on ebay he goes up, too.
The Graflex flashs from him are often in very very good condition but I don't think it warrants this kind of price.

Foodles Productions UK Ltd. = Lucasfilm Ltd. bought several real G R A F L E X flashguns from a very trustworthy member here, which is probably the same ebay seller you've mentioned since he does sell the most prestine flashguns available, as well as a real MPP from him for Ep. VII ... does that mean they will have an appearance on screen? Or did J.J. took an opportunity to score some for himself and the producers? Your guess is as good as mine :)

Chaim

Last edited:

I had the same reaction to that $450 price tag. A beautiful unit, but a starting price of $450! YIKES! Just plain nuts.

And if the big G makes an appearance in Ep. 7 you'll be looking at $450 in the rear-view mirror.

I was digging though my old darkroom stuff last week and discovered I had a Heiland with the shroud reflector that I'd forgotten about. Too bad it wasn't a Graflex. I don't think I'd forget one of those. Wonder if the prices on those will springboard as well after Ep. 7?

The Graflex that I have is a combination of scratchbuilt and Graflex Reborn parts. I have a thread on here about it. Was thinking of selling it then buying a genuine Graflex but at these current prices it's too expensive for me.

The prices are going way up. They are getting very difficult to track down and a good price is even harder to get. Ebay, although a ready source, is about the worst for prices.
Although I hope the spoiler rumor is untrue, it is looking more and more likely from non-official speculation that I continue to see.

I am hopeful this is more tied to a flashback sequence where the rumors have been about the appearance of Vader and Carrie Fisher's daughter showing up as young Leia in the flashback. This part has been basically confirmed. That would explain the MPP.

I continue searching for another FOLMER GRAFLEX CORP. without the patent number. The one in the junkyard, I initially thought was what I was looking for but ended up having the Patent Number. Then the clamp was screwed up, missing the lever, when I got it. So I had to sacrifice my only non-used good clamp so that whoever buys it has a full Graflex. Fortunate for whoever buys it in a way, but also unfortunate as I had to raise the price to cover the clamp. Basically, this one will be a wash (which is fine for me), but I have noticed any reasonable deals on buying Graflex tubes are drying up and I don't think they will ever be back before Ep 7 comes out. And definitely not afterwards.

Also, Propmaniac, it might be kind and considerate to put "possible spoilers" in the thread title here.

Lol... I had a number of Folmers and sold them... all great shape and original. I kept the best one for myself of course, but when I was selling off about 20 of them no one would spend more than $200 on them. DOH! Everyone got a deal I guess. Now it's nuts.

I have one in great shape I still haven't decided what to do with... All depends if I'll need an episode 7 version or not.

If not episode 7, then an alternate ESB it is.

@ mugatu ... I'd reconsider selling that complete G R A F L E X in the Junkyard ... it's far easier to find an accurate red button or 2 than a Folmer without patent number ... trust me ... the only one I've seen up for auction was a converted ANH on ebay ... it did not sell yet it was never put up again. Even I don't have a screen-accurate Folmer ESB Luke without the patent number and NEW YORK written in full :)

Chaim

@ mugatu ... I'd reconsider selling that complete G R A F L E X in the Junkyard ... it's far easier to find an accurate red button or 2 than a Folmer without patent number ... trust me ... the only one I've seen up for auction was a converted ANH on ebay ... it did not sell yet it was never put up again. Even I don't have a screen-accurate Folmer ESB Luke without the patent number and NEW YORK written in full :)

Chaim

image.jpg

Here is my FOLMER without Patent number, with Roy's kit. Too bad for me that the bottom plate isn't pivoted in the right position. I want to make a botched grip version like the Wampa cave scene. The one I have in the Junkyard does have the Patent Number though, unfortunately.

Chaim

You mean like this one? :)

DSC00790_zpsa98d2e41.jpg

I lucked out on this one... this was the first (and only!) 3-cell that I've ever managed to snag and this was before I knew about the differences between the patent and no patent numbers variants. I got this off the 'bay a couple of years ago for if I recall under $150...

Yeah, I'm building one for someone too... but the bottom stamping isn't in the right position.

Luckily I have two personal Folmers and one is slightly off... and the other is EXACTLY like the screen used one.

Yeah... that the only problem with mine... depending on how I position my Kobold clip it's going to cover up the "Folmer" and the "New York" to a greater or lesser degree :(

Well mugatu...I started the thread about Graflex prices not about the plot of the new films. Others added that themselves. But I will add that to the title.

Well mugatu...I started the thread about Graflex prices not about the plot of the new films. Others added that themselves. But I will add that to the title.

propmainiac, I agree with 100% with everything you just said. Thanks for updating that.

I do think the increase is due to the uptick in interest of Star Wars brought on by Rebels, the comics, the upcoming movies, the games, and Harrison Ford's injuries (not joking).
I do think there is increased interest and I think we probably haven't seen anything yet.

Which from a price perspective stinks, but I do realize my own hypocritical interest is part of that same problem.

This is exactly why I started rebuilding my SW prop collection right after they announced Ep7. I had a feeling this would happen. Just glad I finished my ANH Luke and Obi already.

Okay ... that's it ... I quit ... it seems everyone that joined the rpf way after I did get all the best screen-accurate parts and grenades ... and I've been looking for just 1 screen-accurate grenade since 1981 when I found that Mechanismo picture ... it's been really very frustrating lately to find that I'm being outbid or bothered to get my hands on that 1 grenade when I spot one online by some of you, who already have real grenades in your possesion and you know who you are ... so I'm quite done giving free advice or aiding others in their quest regarding vintage lightsabers or parts ... goodbye!

Chaim

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back