Graflex flash prices .......warning possible spoilers!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by propmainiac, Mar 20, 2015.

1. propmainiac

propmainiac Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi all
    Been looking for a Graflex flash on evilBay and saw one for 450$$$???
    Is this a joke? Is the value of these going up because of the new films coming out? Even if that's true we are not likely to see the Graflex lightsaber in the new film. We all know luke lost it on Bespin in Empire(Best of the Star Wars films). So why the increase in prices? I'd rather purchase it from another source other than ebay but besides the junkyard here not sure where else to go. Id even be willing to get one through parks but it's a long wait.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Graflex flash prices

$450 is a little on the high side, but prices are headed in that direction again. There is a rumor that a Graflex based lightsaber will make an appearance in the new films, so that may be why. I think "Star Wars Fever" in general is also to blame. Now is a good time to sell a Graflex, but not buying one.

mugatu likes this.
  3. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

I know which you mean.
    The seller of this one always sells Graflex flashs for high prices. But since you could buy them for 200 on ebay he goes up, too.
    The Graflex flashs from him are often in very very good condition but I don't think it warrants this kind of price.

thd9791 and mugatu like this.
  4. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Foodles Productions UK Ltd. = Lucasfilm Ltd. bought several real G R A F L E X flashguns from a very trustworthy member here, which is probably the same ebay seller you've mentioned since he does sell the most prestine flashguns available, as well as a real MPP from him for Ep. VII ... does that mean they will have an appearance on screen? Or did J.J. took an opportunity to score some for himself and the producers? Your guess is as good as mine :)

Chaim

mugatu likes this.
  5. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

I had the same reaction to that $450 price tag. A beautiful unit, but a starting price of $450! YIKES! Just plain nuts.

And if the big G makes an appearance in Ep. 7 you'll be looking at $450 in the rear-view mirror.

I was digging though my old darkroom stuff last week and discovered I had a Heiland with the shroud reflector that I'd forgotten about. Too bad it wasn't a Graflex. I don't think I'd forget one of those. Wonder if the prices on those will springboard as well after Ep. 7?

6. propmainiac

The Graflex that I have is a combination of scratchbuilt and Graflex Reborn parts. I have a thread on here about it. Was thinking of selling it then buying a genuine Graflex but at these current prices it's too expensive for me.

7. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

* I sold my hoard too early!

Kevin Gossett and mugatu like this.
  8. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The prices are going way up. They are getting very difficult to track down and a good price is even harder to get. Ebay, although a ready source, is about the worst for prices.
    Although I hope the spoiler rumor is untrue, it is looking more and more likely from non-official speculation that I continue to see.

I am hopeful this is more tied to a flashback sequence where the rumors have been about the appearance of Vader and Carrie Fisher's daughter showing up as young Leia in the flashback. This part has been basically confirmed. That would explain the MPP.

I continue searching for another FOLMER GRAFLEX CORP. without the patent number. The one in the junkyard, I initially thought was what I was looking for but ended up having the Patent Number. Then the clamp was screwed up, missing the lever, when I got it. So I had to sacrifice my only non-used good clamp so that whoever buys it has a full Graflex. Fortunate for whoever buys it in a way, but also unfortunate as I had to raise the price to cover the clamp. Basically, this one will be a wash (which is fine for me), but I have noticed any reasonable deals on buying Graflex tubes are drying up and I don't think they will ever be back before Ep 7 comes out. And definitely not afterwards.

Also, Propmaniac, it might be kind and considerate to put "possible spoilers" in the thread title here.

9. scottjua

Lol... I had a number of Folmers and sold them... all great shape and original. I kept the best one for myself of course, but when I was selling off about 20 of them no one would spend more than $200 on them. DOH! Everyone got a deal I guess. Now it's nuts.

mugatu likes this.
  10. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have one in great shape I still haven't decided what to do with... All depends if I'll need an episode 7 version or not.

If not episode 7, then an alternate ESB it is.

mugatu likes this.
  11. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

@ mugatu ... I'd reconsider selling that complete G R A F L E X in the Junkyard ... it's far easier to find an accurate red button or 2 than a Folmer without patent number ... trust me ... the only one I've seen up for auction was a converted ANH on ebay ... it did not sell yet it was never put up again. Even I don't have a screen-accurate Folmer ESB Luke without the patent number and NEW YORK written in full :)

Chaim

12. mugatu

image.jpg

Here is my FOLMER without Patent number, with Roy's kit. Too bad for me that the bottom plate isn't pivoted in the right position. I want to make a botched grip version like the Wampa cave scene. The one I have in the Junkyard does have the Patent Number though, unfortunately.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  13. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You mean like this one? :)

[​IMG]

I lucked out on this one... this was the first (and only!) 3-cell that I've ever managed to snag and this was before I knew about the differences between the patent and no patent numbers variants. I got this off the 'bay a couple of years ago for if I recall under $150...

Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.
  14. scottjua

Yeah, I'm building one for someone too... but the bottom stamping isn't in the right position.

Luckily I have two personal Folmers and one is slightly off... and the other is EXACTLY like the screen used one.

15. Edraven99

Yeah... that the only problem with mine... depending on how I position my Kobold clip it's going to cover up the "Folmer" and the "New York" to a greater or lesser degree :(

16. propmainiac

Well mugatu...I started the thread about Graflex prices not about the plot of the new films. Others added that themselves. But I will add that to the title.

mugatu likes this.
  17. mugatu

propmainiac, I agree with 100% with everything you just said. Thanks for updating that.

18. mugatu

I do think the increase is due to the uptick in interest of Star Wars brought on by Rebels, the comics, the upcoming movies, the games, and Harrison Ford's injuries (not joking).
    I do think there is increased interest and I think we probably haven't seen anything yet.

Which from a price perspective stinks, but I do realize my own hypocritical interest is part of that same problem.

19. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This is exactly why I started rebuilding my SW prop collection right after they announced Ep7. I had a feeling this would happen. Just glad I finished my ANH Luke and Obi already.

thd9791 and mugatu like this.
  20. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Okay ... that's it ... I quit ... it seems everyone that joined the rpf way after I did get all the best screen-accurate parts and grenades ... and I've been looking for just 1 screen-accurate grenade since 1981 when I found that Mechanismo picture ... it's been really very frustrating lately to find that I'm being outbid or bothered to get my hands on that 1 grenade when I spot one online by some of you, who already have real grenades in your possesion and you know who you are ... so I'm quite done giving free advice or aiding others in their quest regarding vintage lightsabers or parts ... goodbye!

Chaim

Romans Empire, scottjua and scarf man like this.
  21. mugatu

Chaim, you've been an invaluable help to me.
    And, I appear to be going backwards on my OB1 collecting now.

NeoRutty and Sym-Cha like this.
  22. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

Only now, at the end, do you understand.

Romans Empire and mugatu like this.
  23. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I sent up a clamp, transistors, bubbles, and you had a handwheel. How did you go backwards?

mugatu likes this.
  24. mugatu

I had to do some trading. I've still got the transistors, and a new pommel/s coming, but traded the calc bubbles for a grenade arrangement, and the clamp had to replace a broken one on a 3 cell. I guess that isn't really backwards...more sideways, really.

25. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If anyone has the money to drop, consider buying full Graflex kits and reselling the rest to a photographer or collector. This is what I did recently for a 3 cell, and though it took a while, i'm glad I did, The graflex seemed to have always been part of the camera kit, and felt more authentic and cared for.

mugatu likes this.
  26. redinight

redinight New Member

Chaim, I've been collecting prop replicas since 2001 and I have never tried to get real parts until I joined here recently. So far with the aid of the junkyard you sold me my first real part, my soda charger. Now I have a real Hengstler, real m38 scope, and my beard busting barbersol JP cyro set. Well, and an Indy gas mask bag. I'm telling you real parts to me are just too much work. I kind of want a real graflex but why? I think my parks replica is fine...hey it's better than a MR. I'm not getting a real one until I come across one in the wild.

Real parts are special, but wow, for the time, headaches, and money, I'm just settling for replicas. I was close to spending $500 dollars on a deac sterling, AFTER I bought one of those airsofts so I had a coming to Jesus talk with myself.

27. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey man, don't pull away. It's frustrating as hell, especially seeing someone with 5 flash units when you can' find your first :D the best way to better the community is to be the change you want to see. I seem to remember a random bag of parts you threw my way and I quietly picked up a couple different kinds of flash units (never really used on screen but pretty darn cool) and I plan on using those parts. I can't be more grateful - as for those big parts...man, I haven't seen sight or sound of a grenade or sink knob so I feel you. You, however, are one of the very driven and compassionate members here and I'd hate to lose that.

mugatu likes this.
  28. NeoRutty

I'm kind of in the same boat. When I'm done with my current real parts projects that I already started, I'm gonna finish with replicas. Obi and Luke's were the exceptions... I really wanted real parts for those, but I'm likely going to parks sabers my future MPP Vaders.

It just gets crazy... and my Han ROTJ blaster is ALL replica down to the cheap Denix, but I love it... same with my Bolsey Yoda. 80% incorrect parts...still love it.

Andymac84, mugatu and thd9791 like this.
  29. propmainiac

Real parts are the holy grail for some but let's face it the original Star Wars was almost 40 years ago and filmed in another country. Parts used to build original props are long gone or near impossible to find. For a lot of us it's a question of money, I love this hobby of prop building and collecting but I'm not gonna let it bankrupt me. I'm currently building an Obi Wan saber with a mix of repro parts that im very happy with and will be happy with when I'm done. That's the key for me if I think it looks right out of the films then I'm happy. I love the vintage Graflex it's what got me into propbuilding in the first place. The first one was a 2 cell that I made into a 3 cell by making my own bottom and when I was done it looked straight out of the film to me. i will not pay the crazy prices they are asking right now for a 50 or 60 year old camera part that's really only worth maybe 50 bucks? It seems Parks is looking like a better option to me all the time.

thd9791 likes this.
  30. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Most vintage OB1 parts I acquired within a decade since I started lurking the rpf back in 2005 ... so they are still out there and available ... and I'm on a budget all the time too :)

Chaim

31. Fabian 71

Fabian 71 Active Member

I didnt bother at all and took the replica path back there in 2000 , with my Luke saber.and the original pieces keep getting more rare and "antique" with time I want to start a Vader hilt because i think that one is the saber we are going to see in The force awakens and no Lukes as rumored.(sorry off topic)

32. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed in time we shall see ... though it's not a rumor that Foodles Company UK Ltd. purchased several G R A F L E X flashguns ... as to what purpose ... that remains a mystery until opening night December the 18th :)

Chaim

33. Fabian 71

Fabian 71 Active Member

Gee, December is so far, far away . 2015 is an exciting year for SW fans and the future is brilliant....

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if i ask something silly, who are Foodles Company UK Ltd. ??

Sym-Cha likes this.
  34. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Don't loose faith Chaim ol' buddy. That's a long time to wait but you'll end up hitting a bulls eye, and it will probably be the best looking grenade!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  35. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Foodles Company UK Ltd. is an alias name for the props department business for Lucasfilm Ltd. for Episode VII :) ... use google and you'll find more information.

Chaim

P.S. Whohoo 2,500 posts reached today :wacko

NeoRutty and mugatu like this.
  36. Fabian 71

Fabian 71 Active Member

May be a Luke Skywalker spin off ?

Sym-Cha likes this.
  37. egosheep

egosheep Sr Member

Just wanted to say that Chaim helped me out when I stumbled into the RPF newly obsessed with sabers... I hope he's not leaving! Hard to replace a member like that.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  38. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Thanks guys ... I'm not going anywhere ... working on a Darth 'Ugly' Vader costume for a customer, who instead of loosing weight as was part of the deal, just gained weight that WIP is also getting on my nerves or it must be the Dark Side :wacko so it just got the better of me ... topped with not getting my hands on a proper grenade out of 3 being put for sale in the last month or so because of louzy timing or being with Darth 'Ugly' Vader at a comic con made me loose my usual good temper . . . but I'm good for now . . . I just want my grenade!!!

[​IMG]

Chaim

mugatu likes this.
  39. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I personally can't see sinking a few grand into a lightsaber. My russrep looks almost as good and the only person that would know it isn't real is me.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  40. mugatu

I can see doing it. I know for many here the hunt is part of the allure. Collecting and paying for the real world parts can get ridiculously expensive, but in many cases, to me personally, very worth the price!

41. NeoRutty

I said I would never do it... but got sucked in. It's not even just finding the parts, it's finding them cheap.

IF you have have a big bank account I'm sure it's a lot easier.

Funny thing is, only people here care. I show people the collection, and no matter how much I hype "real parts" half the people still pay more attention to the blasters or, of all things, the Holiday saber (I think cuz mine looks almost cartoony, and all my friends are in animation)

mugatu likes this.
  42. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I have far more cash invested in that Darth 'Ugly' Vader costume than any of my real parts sabers ... and it's indeed the journey or the hunt that's part of the fun ... not the actual prop ... though holding a piece of history and knowing that Sir Alec Guinness held the same kind of cobbled up lightsaber from vintage parts so many moons ago on set is also part of the personal appeal to me :)

[​IMG]

Chaim

Andymac84, mugatu and scottjua like this.
  43. NeoRutty

I've never been one for signatures or "photo ops"... but Carrie Fisher is at Fan expo in Vancouver this year, and you can pre book a photo op... so you don't have to do the usual line... their photog takes the pic, yada yada... I'm thinking of doing it. Getting her to sign a print I'm getting done up... and now that I'm really thinking about it, I feel like I've got to drop a graflex in her hand for the pic.

Especially IF she ends up with a graflex in her hands in Ep 7....

Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.
  44. propmainiac

It's kinda like a treasure hunt. I check a lot of yard sales for Graflex flashes. Haven't found one that way yet but still looking. Made a lot of sink tube Graflex sabers over the years and kinda sad I didn't keep one. But the hunt goes on.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  45. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

@ NeoRutty : Carrie would love a real G R A F L E X lightsaber being in picture ... just tell her it's real parts gathered and ... don't forget to praise her dog when she's tagging him/her along ... she'll love you for it :)

Chaim

NeoRutty likes this.
  46. Edraven99

Blasphemy in a Star Wars thread but I think I'm going to book a photo op with Amy Pond at Fan Expo :)

mugatu likes this.
  47. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Watch out for that guy on eBay who has been listing Graflexes with rather vague descriptions about their authenticity. I know at least one or two were sold with a replica clamp and possibly other rep parts added on, with no mention of this in the listing. I see that he's listed a few now and at least two of them have replica clamps as well.

mugatu likes this.
  48. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

That's a horrific imagination if I would fall into this trap :/ What a scumb~~ dealer...........

49. Andymac84

Andymac84 Sr Member

Lovely said Chaim. I feel kinda the same. No two rebuilts are the same...but the character holds it in nearly the same way. Building props upon the same parts as the prop-builders is also my private goal to tackle. It is also fun to manage how to get things fitting together. Tasks and following solutions.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  50. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

And William Devane says to invest in gold and silver! Pfff! :lol

The top half of my ANH saber is real, but I have doubts on the bottom. I've also been looking at flea markets and garage sales with no luck yet. The problem is the Internet and all the smartphones. Now everyone knows to look stuff up before they put it up for sale.

Sym-Cha likes this.