Goonies Doubloon. ALL DONE! NEW PICS

So, I did a sword project that required some sculpting, some molding and a lot of forethough and I really had a good time doing it. I want to do a small, intricate project next that highlights detail, but also isn't going to be a nightmare in proportion(ie. a face or head.) I'm a big goonies fan, and I'd like to try and do the doubloon and then cast it in pewter using mold max 60. I bought some super sculpey FIRM, and damn, is it firm! I also got myself a 50 piece toolkit for sculpting and made some of my own tools for the last project. My plan is to copy the picture of the doubloon that is printed on the map when it is folded up, print it out and use it as reference. I also have a magnification light, but it is slow going work. Is there a way I can transfer the design to clay? should I sculpt it in reverse and make a stamp? This is a much more difficult process than I had ever imagined, especially with the small text. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Also, any size dimensions that are publicly available would be a big help.

Last edited:
Re: Sculpting noob, Goonies Doubloon. Pointers?

Have you seen Relicmakers Doubloon? I can highly recommend him if you ever wanna buy one. http://www.therpf.com/f9/new-goonies-doubloon-finally-finished-last-post-28463/

With your Text problem: Make every letter on it's own and harden them. then you can add them to the other sculpt. Instead of making everything at the same time.
You can use a warmwater bottle wrapped in a towel to heat and soften the clay. Just lay the clay inside the towel for a little while and the clay will be softer.

I really dig his stuff, but to be honest, I'm not too into buying props, I really just like being able to say "I made that", and I'll probably make a few and give them away as gifts. I'm doing this more as an exercise to learn techniques. So far I have done a couple projects (if you check my post history) and I'm not too good at sculpting enough to get screen accurate. I also don't want to step on anyone's toes by using their props as reference, so I'm trying to source as much original reference as possible. Buying an existing prop would definitely help with dimensions etc, but i'm not sure how deep into recasting territory that is going. I like your idea on sculpting the letters separately. I'm also thinking a set of custom stamps for the letters and shapes may be a good way to go. (That's the way they used to make coin dies in ancient times- punches made for the horizontal and vertical lines in letters) The little dots would be done the same way. I think the whole sculpt needs to be done in reverse and stamped into a clay blank. I hope either Indy or Brenton can weigh in on this thread without revealing all their secrets. Thanks for the ideas, i appreciate the help. Also I think it was you who posted the hi-res picture of the map I downloaded recently. :)

The little dots would be done the same way. I think the whole sculpt needs to be done in reverse and stamped into a clay blank. I hope either Indy or Brenton can weigh in on this thread without revealing all their secrets. Thanks for the ideas, i appreciate the help. Also I think it was you who posted the hi-res picture of the map I downloaded recently. :)

Oh, That would be the map that i did after screencaps and other pictures. :)
I actually updated my goonies collection and got Relicmakers Goonies map just last week. so now i have the map/copper key/doubloon
I was not that far off with my map :) A better weathering and a little better detailing would make it look real good.

Mine:
karta1x.jpg

Relicmakers:
karta2s.jpg

For the dots I would use a Bath plug chain. You can get the chain in different sizes and lengths .
Bath-Plug-and-Chain_large.jpg

Yeah working the clay for 15- 20 mins while I sat on the couch really helped soften it up. I like it much better than the regular super sculpey. I've just been kinda playing with it.

I really like the ball chain idea, it would also help with the spacing. I'm glad I asked. I was also considering sculpting the whole thing at 2:1 scale and reducing it with that polyurethane reducing rubber. We will see. Still a lot of tinkering to do

Well, I started it, and having fun figuring it out. Ended up making a stamp in reverse of the main elements, and a couple small stamps for the repeated images. I am sculpting the letters one at a time and transferring them to the sculpt. I'm getting along ok, again it's not screen accurate enough, but practice makes perfect, right?

here are some progress pics.

Re: Goonies Doubloon. Pointers? WIP Pics

Great work on the doubloon. To smooth sculpey out, you can use lighterfluid that you apply with a brush. The lighter fluid "melts" the sculpey and makes you fingerprints disappear.

Yeah, I figured I'd smooth I all with naphtha at the end, it's still a little rough. These tips are really helping me out with the process, thanks again!

Made some new progress on this, side one is pretty much done, I'm going to make a clay stamp out of it so i can replicate it and tweak it a little more. Sculpting this small is HARD! Kudos to the guys who have done this so beautifully before me. Next time I will sculpt it at double size and reduce it. I think it is accurate enough for my own personal collection. Next: Side Two!

For years I functioned from the belief that sculpting anything with clay, (or with anything else for that matter), was something I'd be completely incompetent at. In the last year, since finally pulling the trigger on building props & such, I've learned that - occasionally - I'm able to pull something off & surprise myself.

After seeing the progress you've made, I think I might just give this a go myself...

I'm impressed already! :)

well, we will see how the other side turns out, I'm using super sculpey FIRM, and it seems better than the regular stuff for carving smaller details, plus you can harden it in layers as you add them so you dont mess uo the parts youve finished. Can't wait to see how your projects work out.

So I made some more progress on the obverse side, changed my method a little, unfortunately this side is going to be even less screen accurate, but still good enough for my own collection. After a little digging on the internet it looks like some of the previous iterations of this prop have been computer modeled and then laser cut into rubber, so I feel a little better about how mine is turning out doing it all by hand.(No disrespect to the guys using computers, that's just another set of important skills that I hope to eventually learn more about, just trying to make myself feel better.)
Heres some new pics.

Finished the sculpt tonight, Im pretty happy with my results, next up, Im gonna mold it in mold max 60 and pour in pewter. Any pointers on that portion? pics:

Re: Goonies Doubloon.WIP Pics Sculpt done.

Some test molds with dragon skin 10Q (I had some laying around) I found some people online who say you can pour pewter into DS.. we will see tonight.. off to buy some lead free solder.

Ok, I finished the goonies doubloon, destroyed the clay master in the mold making process, here is a pewter copy. I will add a proper patina when the solution comes in the mail. this was cast in lead free solder.
AVEu2.jpg

Giy2h.jpg

Here are some newer pics with the finished version of the patina. The black painted ones were just temporary until I found the right way to blacken the pewter. Been making a few of these from my moldmax 60 mold and it seems to be holding up really well.

I dunno if there would be an interest on this board for them, since there are others that are more accurate, but I will post an interest thread, Id be willing to do a short run of them.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back