Goonies Copper Bones cast off original prop...

Im sorry but the details just dont match up. The surround around the right eye is too thin. It may be just caked with dirt but the curvature on the right forehead doesnt match up at all. There is more filled in on the repro then the screen used one so that makes no sense. Right temple has a sharp ledge where the repro doesnt. Right cheek doesnt look the same. Also the left eye looks smaller then the right on the prop but doenst look that small on the FE one. When i look at my Raiders staff headpiece evey detail is a perfect match to the original . This one doesnt match in so many places. It may be a left over from the production but i have my doubt this was the one in the picture. Maybe its from another scene. Which blows a hole in the "only one made" story. Ill need to rewatch the movie to see if it can be id'd later on in the film.

There's no doubt that this offered replica is NOT the one in your screen cap. Your analysis is spot on. This isn't it.

Last edited:
Im going to bet the story of there only being one is more likely the problem. I have a hard time believing the prop dept only made one. Especially dealing with a child aged cast that would probably drop it. There was probably a dirty one for the copperpot scene and then another cleaned version for when they actually use the key.

Im going to bet the story of there only being one is more likely the problem. I have a hard time believing the prop dept only made one. Especially dealing with a child aged cast that would probably drop it. There was probably a dirty one for the copperpot scene and then another cleaned version for when they actually use the key.

Which is why I covered my bases by saying "not the one in your screencap" as apposed to "not the one in the movie". :)
His analysis is spot on for this prop and that screenshot.

My guess, since the eyes are so dramatically different, is that the (proposed) SECOND copper bones was the one used for going over the TRIPLE STONES. The holes in the eyes and nose would have to be big enough for the stones. Making the eyes and nose holes bigger might lead to the THINNER lining around the eyes noted in this new replica.

Somebody grab a screenshot of the TRIPLE STONES scene to compare THAT copper bones against this replica.

Last edited:
(again - low rez just because it's convenient)

I would say this matches up much better. Maybe not perfect, but closer. (?) The green cast on the replica is throwing it off. They shouldn't have done that. And the real life angle in the screen cap is throwing it off.
Two copper bones now seems likely.

******* edit *******
I compensated for the green tint in pic #2. Both pics are included.

Attachments

• bones 3.jpg
    bones 3.jpg
    13.5 MB · Views: 288
  • bones 4.jpg
    bones 4.jpg
    14.2 MB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Yup thats it! That looks better. Looks like the details are defiantly softened. Especially that raised line that goes from above the right eye to over the left. Does seem like there were at least 2 used for filming.

Yup thats it! That looks better. Looks like the details are defiantly softened. Especially that raised line that goes from above the right eye to over the left. Does seem like there were at least 2 used for filming.

How embarrassing is that.....that we have to tell THEM the potential provenance of their replica ??!!!?!?!?! :lol:

Im sorry but the details just dont match up. The surround around the right eye is too thin. It may be just caked with dirt but the curvature on the right forehead doesnt match up at all. There is more filled in on the repro then the screen used one so that makes no sense. Right temple has a sharp ledge where the repro doesnt. Right cheek doesnt look the same. Also the left eye looks smaller then the right on the prop but doenst look that small on the FE one. When i look at my Raiders staff headpiece evey detail is a perfect match to the original . This one doesnt match in so many places. It may be a left over from the production but i have my doubt this was the one in the picture. Maybe its from another scene. Which blows a hole in the "only one made" story. Ill need to rewatch the movie to see if it can be id'd later on in the film.

View attachment 1457159
Angle and size make all the difference. Your comparison is flawed because they're not the same angles or photographed from the same distance, etc. Anything that is 3 dimensional isn't going to line up to the same measurements, front and back, on a 2 dimensional plane of the same item at a different angle.

I take it you don't photograph much or do 3D modeling?

Spent the weekend exploring Goonies filming locations, these are "supposedly" from the actual production.
IMG_20210612_151513267_HDR.jpg

I'm dubious about the claim. Though it was still cool to be inside the jail! :cool:(y)

Edit: I just confirmed that the doubloon and key are replicas donated by relic maker.

Last edited:
I know I'm waaaaay late to the game on this post, but I just want to say thank you to everyone who's contributed. The goonies is a long time favorite movie of mine but I'll admit my knowledge of the props used is a bit rusty haha. I have some follow up questions if some of those more well versed don't mind answering.

It's super intriguing that there appears to be more than one screen used copper bones key. I was always under the impression there was one, as were most of us apparently. That being said, I'm curious about that 80's magazine copy. I was previously under the impression that it was a production prop/screen used copy of some kind, is that not the case or does it have any lineage? Not exactly sure of the history regarding that magazine clipping but I'd love to learn!
Does anyone know *anything* about the original keys, where they went, etc? Has anyone tried reaching production people for answers?

Again thanks to any and all who can help out!!

Attachments

• Copper-bones-magazine-ref.jpeg
    Copper-bones-magazine-ref.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 151
What? I received it already! The label says it shipped from Concord, CA and I live in Salinas, CA. Nice.
Here's the pics. It is heavily painted/patina-ed.

I'm going to scrape off some of the paint, and then use JAX copper plate solution to turn the brass looking to a copper looking appearance. I will post pics of my attempt.

Attachments

• IMG_2210[1].JPG
    IMG_2210[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2211[1].JPG
    IMG_2211[1].JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2212[1].JPG
    IMG_2212[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Okay, I received my bottle of Jax contact copper plating solution. (literally, you brush it on, or dip the piece in it to copper plate)

Being a novice, I tried sanding off some of the paint down to what looked like brass, but only in places. However, it seems it is brass plate over a base metal, so you should try to remove the paint without removing the brass plating. (I think) I then used the contact Jax copper plating on the front and back. The instructions said that when plating Brass, to use steel wool to apply the solution. (don't scrape! The steel wool is just acting like a conductor to make a better bond with the copper and brass)

Lastly, it came out kinda dark, so I hit it with a light liquid copper polish to shine it more like a penny copper color. It will slowly darken like a penny over time as it oxidizes.

Attachments

• IMG_2214[1].JPG
    IMG_2214[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2213[1].JPG
    IMG_2213[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2217[1].JPG
    IMG_2217[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2218[1].JPG
    IMG_2218[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2216[1].JPG
    IMG_2216[1].JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back