Godzilla apocalypse!

:eek
I would have sculpted and cast the head. Fabricating a head out of foam for me would have been tough. You got pretty impressive results is.:thumbsup

How is the mobility? Did the eyes and mouth move?

i've made a few other large creature suits, but they were made in sections. i decided to do this all in one piece. not the best idea. i think i could have done a better job, but i was kind of rushing to finish it by halloween (that didn't happen). it turned out ok. next time i'm going to try to build 3d a model in blender first so there's not as much guess work.

the mouth and eyes are static. as far as mobility, i still haven't gotten into it, but if it's like my other suits, walking a half a mile in it is kinda like hiking 5 miles up a mountain. great workout!

That looks freaking amazing! where did you get all the foam from?

i've been collecting foam from old couch's years for my band room. i like to use recycled materials when i can, but it's kind of a crap shoot on quality. i'm getting increasingly paranoid about bringing bedbugs and scabies, so i haven't been collecting much in recent years.

That is very nice. Amazing how this is made of foam. I hadnt seen this Stan Winston version. I wonder if there any resin kits of this version anywhere

i think the original maquette sold at auction for like 25 thousand bucks. never heard of or seen any kits.

Gamera next???? ;)

J

hmmm.....

ha, thanks. i had been looking for this clip, but couldn't remember what movie that was from. for some reason i though it was from the michael keaton film "gung ho"

Absolutely amazing, you have accomplished what most could only imagine. I looked into building a godzilla costume a while back. Aside from latex being expensive I had one major worry which was heat. From what I found about the original all latex costumes made way back in the day in japan not only were they very heavy but they could only be worn for a very short time because you would basically die of heat exhaustion because there was no airflow inside. I really like the idea of the foam, much less expensive and lighter. How long are you able to wear this for and how bad is it to wear and move in, is it hard to breath in? I was real gungho to build one until I started thinking about being miserable after 20 minutes and then not being able to get out of it easily.

How did I miss this thread? Amazing.

I have been toying with the idea of takeling a Godzilla suit but it
shear size of the project left me wondering where to start.

I can't believe hoe awesome yours turned out. BEST godzilla suit
to date.

If the neck were a bit longer, it would be a perfect likeness!

To bad Stan is no longer with us. :cry

I am sure he would have loved to have seen your work!

WOW!!! as a long time Godzilla fan and serious collector (retired and sold/selling my collection still) this is AMAZING!!! definitley the best godzilla suit I have seen anyone make, you need to get that to G-Con!!!

It must have took you forever to carve all the scales into it, I know it kills me just drawing Godzilla's scales so god knows how bad it was to actually sculpt them into it lol!!! did you use some kind of burning tool as the foam looks browner where sculpted?

Epic job dude!

I looked into building a godzilla costume a while back. Aside from latex being expensive I had one major worry which was heat. From what I found about the original all latex costumes made way back in the day in japan not only were they very heavy but they could only be worn for a very short time because you would basically die of heat exhaustion because there was no airflow inside. I really like the idea of the foam, much less expensive and lighter. How long are you able to wear this for and how bad is it to wear and move in, is it hard to breath in? I was real gungho to build one until I started thinking about being miserable after 20 minutes and then not being able to get out of it easily.

This wasn't incredibly expensive. There's about 8 gallons of latex on this one, so that's at least $300 bucks and lots of labor. Chump change compared to the amount of clay and mold material to be used if I were to go that route.

It is a little heavy. I still haven't got into it.

A few Halloweens ago I wore the "Styrax" suit. I walked 4 city blocks down the main strip downtown from my van to a favorite bar. It was cool outside, but I was pretty hot by the time I got to the bar. An hour later I made the 4 block trek back. At that point it was about midnight and lots of people were poring out of the bars into the streets. The walk back was slower and like being in a sensory deprivation chamber and a mosh pit at the same time. Drunk people knocking into me and occasionally trying to ride me like a horse. I could hardly hear or feel anything, though I knew what was going on. It was lots of fun, but when I got back to the van I was spent, soaking wet and had to take it off. I can't imagine doing that for hours or in daytime/summer heat.

If the neck were a bit longer, it would be a perfect likeness!

Yea, the necks a bit too short and the heads a little off. There was a pencil design sketch I used as a profile to go by, but something didn't translate right when I started to refer to the pix of the maquette.

you need to get that to G-Con!!!

It must have took you forever to carve all the scales into it, I know it kills me just drawing Godzilla's scales so god knows how bad it was to actually sculpt them into it lol!!! did you use some kind of burning tool as the foam looks browner where sculpted?

Love to go to G-con. I've never been to any sort of con like that.

This took about a month and a half to make. Yes, all the scales are etched with a heavy duty soldering iron. VERY TOXIC! I don't recommend doing it anywhere but outdoors and with a heavy duty respirator! I also wear nitril or latex gloves when handling the etched foam.

Do you have pictures of your other suits?

Here's a few pix of a a guy I call "Styrax". He's modeled off a beautiful maquette called "dino dude" designed by a creature designer named Peter Konig. I kinda ran across it randomly on some message board maquette tutorial. That was my first go at a creature suit. I spent about 6 months noodling with it. I made it in 3 parts without an armature. Surprisingly it all came together ok.
IMG_2989_zps991a4723.jpg

IMG_2996_zps5a92c79d.jpg

I made this guy a year or two later in '09. He was originally going to be the Winston 'Zilla, but I decided to try an original design without a tail for the drunks to pull on.

53918_1580493665026_7020280_o_zps1bebbe70.jpg

54154_1580479544673_7604455_o_zpsb7cfee10.jpg

Wow, more excellent work!:love

I have new foam fabrication questions.
I heard you can seal the foam with spray glue. That way you don't use as much latex and the build is lighter.The spray glue suggested by the Stan Winston school is Foam Fast 74; It is nice, but pricey. Is there any chance you could seal the foam with something else? Like brushing white glue onto the foam?
Also what was that thing you used to mash the latex into the foam?

I have been thinking about doing to save time is using a paint gun to spray liquid latex onto my foam fabrications. Have you tired this? Does it work well? :confused

Last edited:
I am impressed with your godzilla suit. Sorry you can not wear it yet.

I went to dragoncon in 2011 and there was a guy from Colorado that built a gozilla suit. It was his first time to make something so big with foam. He would stand in the main costume lobby for about a hour or so. He told me he lost about a gallon of water each time he did it. He was there for several days. His built was a bit more bulky in dimensions than your carving.

Some of the original godzilla suits I saw must have had a mint wrapped up in latex and been very bulky.What you did with the foam is very unique, it makes me want try building something this way, that's what I love about this forum, you constantly see things done in different ways that you never thought of. I know what you mean about what I like to call drunkfest, its fun to get dressed up in a elaborate costume like this and go out but you always have to deal with the drunks, sometimes it works in your favor if you have a costume that attracts hot looking women. When I'm dressed up as Gene Simmons you would not believe how many gorgeous women come up an grab my ass!

I was wondering how well your costumes hold up over time?

I still have my first attempt at using upholstery foam that was made in '97. It's a large overhead mask and arms in the vein of a sleestak. It's still in great shape after all these years despite I never sealed it. Urethane upholstery foam lasts a lot longer than hot latex foam. Keeping it out of direct sun and in a climate controlled environment makes a huge difference in how long it will last.

I have new foam fabrication questions.
I heard you can seal the foam with spray glue. That way you don't use as much latex and the build is lighter.The spray glue suggested by the Stan Winston school is Foam Fast 74; It is nice, but pricey. Is there any chance you could seal the foam with something else? Like brushing white glue onto the foam?
Also what was that thing you used to mash the latex into the foam?

I have been thinking about doing to save time is using a paint gun to spray liquid latex onto my foam fabrications. Have you tired this? Does it work well? :confused

I've never heard of using spray adhesive as a sealant prior to coating or painting. You might want to make sure they are not talking about hot latex foam from a mold (like the foam used for facial appliances or skins for animatronics). To me, it sounds like a big, sticky, expensive mess. White glue would probably crack. Stick with plain latex.

The thing I use to mash latex into the foam is a simple plastic putty knife. I only use that on the first base coat, mashing it into the foam and getting a good thick skin so the piece is more durable. You have to let the base coat thoroughly dry a day or so before handling it or applying more coats. If it's still wet and you mash your fingers into it, the foam will stay mashed in.

If you are looking to conserve latex, I would just apply the base coat with a chip brush, making sure to coat it well without mashing the latex too deep into the foam. After that you can use a HVLP paint gun to spray-coat it. I broke down and bought a cheap paint gun from Wallyworld for this project. It's a huge time saver over coating with a chip brush and makes painting large areas easier. You have to make sure you spray it at different angles so the surface gets coated evenly. You'll often have to go back over undercuts and such with a chip brush, because paint guns don't spray around corners. The thinner the coat of latex, the less durable it will be.

Wow...just, wow.
You win....hands down. :)
This is an incredible build, and was a pleasure to see it all unfold from start to finish. Well done bud.

David

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back