Gladiator armor comission

Hi Jazz, post pics up if you try and make your own!
I am sure Tim would either make you some pieces or add ons , but i am unsure on individual costs for the pieces.

To everyone, let me just say that Tim originally told me 6 weeks from the first payment, and let me tell you , by the end of this week it will be under that!!!
This guy has kept me informed every single step of the way, with pics , NOT JUST WORDS OF EMAILS.

He has responded and worked with me with my concerns and questions, mind you , I had never spoken to TIm before this gig!!.

This thread speaks for itself and I have no hesitation in recommending Apelord to anyone here or elsewhere.
Thank you Tim for doing a great job on the armor, your knowledge of working with this stuff really does show off!

Marcel

Hi Jazz, post pics up if you try and make your own!

This thread speaks for itself and I have no hesitation in recommending Apelord to anyone here or elsewhere.

Marcel

No kidding; this thread definitely caught my attention ...trust me, if I had the money Tim would have my business in a heart beat. I'm not even sure on his prices, but the quality and craftsmanship gives me a good idea. Congratulations again Mars, you'll have one nice display in your house.

If I learn how to work leather I wouldn't mind trying it out. I know I could never come close to this, or make a mold for those pewter pieces but it would be fun trying :) Actually before I found this post, I had ordered in a foam chest piece of armor off of ebay for 15$. I was hoping to cut and paint it, but after seeing this I'm not sure I want to try the foam anymore (although I might just to see what it can look like as an extremely cheap alternative).

Apelord, did you make all that stuff in your photo's link? Hope you don't mind me asking, but do you do this type of thing for a living or is it more of a hobby?

Thanks Jazz!

Yes indeed I made everything you see there on my Flickr page. I've been making swords, knives, armor and a wide variety of groovy things for around 25 years. No, this is not a hobby, I am a professional artist, and I've worked on a few films now, with more coming up soon.

Sensational work Apelord and also my congratulations on how this project has been handled - its clear your work ethic easily matches your formidable skills..

Kids, this is how a project is run. Great product, perfect client/propbuilder communication and a seriously scary avatar..

Many thanks for sharing!

Highest regards

MARK

Sensational work Apelord and also my congratulations on how this project has been handled - its clear your work ethic easily matches your formidable skills..

Kids, this is how a project is run. Great product, perfect client/propbuilder communication and a seriously scary avatar..

Many thanks for sharing!

Highest regards

MARK

Thanks, Mark!

My avatar is a real "Mempo" I made for a friend of mine. It is made of hand raised 12 gauge steel, and is one piece, with no welding. I "raised" it at my forge in the period fashion with fire, sweat, and hammer... and it is kinda scary at that.:lol

Thanks Jazz!

Yes indeed I made everything you see there on my Flickr page. I've been making swords, knives, armor and a wide variety of groovy things for around 25 years. No, this is not a hobby, I am a professional artist, and I've worked on a few films now, with more coming up soon.

Cool! This is good to hear, because if this was your hobby and you had not pursued it as a career many of us would be left scratching our heads (lol).

I'm going to ask another question about boots if I may. In terms of difficulty and therefore price, are they usually as time consuming to make? The reason I ask, is because it would seem that they would need extra care (due to the nature of the item ...boots needing to be fairly durable). I would love to buy some, but I would assume they would be in the 350-500$ range.

As a cheap alternative, I was considering taking an old pair of my biker boots as a base and adding on to them with something to reshape them, eventually covering them with leather and fake laces (hadn't thought much beyond this yet). Perhaps you (or anyone else) could share your thoughts.

Cool! This is good to hear, because if this was your hobby and you had not pursued it as a career many of us would be left scratching our heads (lol).

I'm going to ask another question about boots if I may. In terms of difficulty and therefore price, are they usually as time consuming to make? The reason I ask, is because it would seem that they would need extra care (due to the nature of the item ...boots needing to be fairly durable). I would love to buy some, but I would assume they would be in the 350-500$ range.

As a cheap alternative, I was considering taking an old pair of my biker boots as a base and adding on to them with something to reshape them, eventually covering them with leather and fake laces (hadn't thought much beyond this yet). Perhaps you (or anyone else) could share your thoughts.

Thanks again, Jazz.

Boots can be time consuming craziness to be sure. $350-$500 is a great price if you can find it, but for these particular boots you can expect to pay closer $650-$1000. Their is a lot of hand stitching on them, and that is where the price is raised or lowered, depending upon the complexity of the design. Especially if you want them made in the true period way, as I do. But to give an accurate price I'd really need to see detailed pics of exactly the boots you are talking about. FYI, the proper boots, typical of the period, are called "Calligae" and are basically high-toped sandals, and those I could make for around $400. Those were the common shoes worn by the Legionnaires for hundreds of years, and are incredibly comfortable, and in my opinion blow Birkenstocks out of the water.

There are many talented boot-makers out there, and if you do a little looking around, you'll find that hand-made boots get real expensive really quick. If you have ever stitched any leather befor by hand, you will see how uncomfortable and frustrating it is to do. I have arthrtis pretty bad now, which is why I'm mostly retired from sword and armor making. I must factor in the physical pain involved in any project, and it is reflected in my prices. I actually came here so I could quit making armor all together... I guess I didn't think one all the way through:lol

Thanks again, Jazz.

Boots can be time consuming craziness to be sure. $350-$500 is a great price if you can find it, but for these particular boots you can expect to pay closer $650-$1000. Their is a lot of hand stitching on them, and that is where the price is raised or lowered, depending upon the complexity of the design. Especially if you want them made in the true period way, as I do. But to give an accurate price I'd really need to see detailed pics of exactly the boots you are talking about. FYI, the proper boots, typical of the period, are called "Calligae" and are basically high-toped sandals, and those I could make for around $400. Those were the common shoes worn by the Legionnaires for hundreds of years, and are incredibly comfortable, and in my opinion blow Birkenstocks out of the water.

There are many talented boot-makers out there, and if you do a little looking around, you'll find that hand-made boots get real expensive really quick. If you have ever stitched any leather befor by hand, you will see how uncomfortable and frustrating it is to do. I have arthrtis pretty bad now, which is why I'm mostly retired from sword and armor making. I must factor in the physical pain involved in any project, and it is reflected in my prices. I actually came here so I could quit making armor all together... I guess I didn't think one all the way through:lol

Well, I finally found a picture of what they look like and they definitely look difficult to make. Looking at these, I can easily see how time consuming and costly they would be to make (never really thought about how strenuous on the body this type of work was, but it makes sense).

That being said, I'll never be able to afford these boots and therefore must resort to whatever I can come up with that will be as close as possible. I found an old pair of round toed Sancho boots that I will use as the base. I may have to cut them and do some stitching to the upper portion, but I will keep the souls on them as this has to be the most difficult part. Since I will only get one shot at it, I'll see if I cannot post some before pics later and get some opinions if this might work ...have to run for now as the family is waiting for me to go out.

Here is a link to the boots as I haven't quite figured out how to attach the pictures here yet:

Gladiator (2000), Maximus' Distressed Leather Boots, original / screen-used

Yup, Jazz,

Those are the ones I thought you meant. I'm sure with a little patience, and proceeding with caution that you can make something work that will be close enough. Do please post your progress pics, and if you need any advice, don't hesitate to ask.

On to the last update...'cuz this sucker is done!

I have finished the weathering as far as I can, and I think it's as close as I dare to take it. Mars, you can take it further if you like, but I'm at the point now, that if I continue to tinker with it, I could ruin it.

The belt of Pturges for the back is completed. This is also all leather, and looks pretty good all by itself.

That being said, I'll never be able to afford these boots and therefore must resort to whatever I can come up with that will be as close as possible. http://www.yourprops.com/Maximus--D...mes-wardrobe-Gladiator--2000--prop-17611.html

il_430xN.124485540.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/41015835/red-wing-tall-logger-boots-8510

Found these while I was looking for boots myself.
Mods I think would be needed...
1. get them small and have them stretched to make the tongue area wider
2. a cobbler can resole the boot to something very flat
3. remove the metal eyelets and laces and add correct laces
4. make a fake cuff to attach after putting shoes on

That would be close and probably quite a bit less than the MCs or a custom job. I also looked at Lace up Justin Ropers as a base but decided that they are not tall enough in the end. If you find something let us know. I HATE my boots and would like to upgrade if something good comes along.

Amazing work! I always loved this movie and never really realized how many variations there were on the armor.

yea if you watch the movie you'll notice the more he wins the more armor he gets right up to the final fight sequence. This set is great because it's where he wear the steel helmet and really gets to be bad ass in the arena!

Yup, Jazz,

Those are the ones I thought you meant. I'm sure with a little patience, and proceeding with caution that you can make something work that will be close enough. Do please post your progress pics, and if you need any advice, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks Apelord! I'll likely get started next week, unfortunately my schedule this weekend is crazy busy.

On to the last update...'cuz this sucker is done!

I have finished the weathering as far as I can, and I think it's as close as I dare to take it. Mars, you can take it further if you like, but I'm at the point now, that if I continue to tinker with it, I could ruin it.

The belt of Pturges for the back is completed. This is also all leather, and looks pretty good all by itself.

Marsattack you must be so anxious to get this! It would look so cool on display in any home, and I'm willing to bet many of your guests will inquire as to whether or not it's the original (let us know some reactions eh :))

Apelord, where do you plan to go from here with gladiator related items, will you make another suit for yourself (surely it must be difficult parting with this). Also, have you considered making a few sets of pewter "accessories" for those looking to shape their own leather (or buy a similar cheap chest piece to add to)? If so, what type of price range would this run in?

Whatever happens from here, please know that this work has inspired me to have a great appreciation for what you do, and it has perked my curiosity as to how to make these things ...sigh if only you were my neighbor and looking for an apprentice (lol). Anyways, looking at the finished product, and your updates throughout the thread, I think I speak for many others when I say this is a true work of art. ...now the only question remaining is, will it fit Mars? :lol

Found these while I was looking for boots myself.
Mods I think would be needed...
1. get them small and have them stretched to make the tongue area wider
2. a cobbler can resole the boot to something very flat
3. remove the metal eyelets and laces and add correct laces
4. make a fake cuff to attach after putting shoes on

That would be close and probably quite a bit less than the MCs or a custom job. I also looked at Lace up Justin Ropers as a base but decided that they are not tall enough in the end. If you find something let us know. I HATE my boots and would like to upgrade if something good comes along.

Yeah; those boots look like a great base. I already have a similar pair without laces or a tongue (although they are not as high as I would like them). Since I'm on a tight budget and I also enjoy this type of challenge, I think I'll try and see what I can do with these first:
View attachment 33577
I'll have to look into tools to see what is best for cutting and stitching leather, but I have an idea of where I am going to start (I'll update as I progress). Thanks for the suggestion sgmorton :)

Unbelievable, Apelord!!!

I am so impressed, I just keep looking at the photos.

Can't imagine having all this in your hands and having to give it up.

I still want one, so please keep us informed!

Thanks for shaing this project with us!

Michael

Thanks again, Hellboy.

It is not always easy to let your work go, but that's how it works. An artist's life is much like that old tale of the "Cobbler" and his children having no shoes... only in this case it's armor... poor bastards... ;-)

Amazing work Apelord. :thumbsup

I have been watching this thread with great interest and admiration.

I was curious about the technique used to form the leather, so I googled the term "corboulle" that Mars mentioned in his first post. I ended up finding the most used spelling to be "Cuir Boilli", with a lot of information about the technique in the SCA world. Most of those guys just use varying steps of water soaking and heating to get the leather hard. When they used wax the armor came out with more of a waxy gloss to it. Your finished armor does not seem to have that waxy look.

What Cuir Boilli process did you end up using for this armor?

I was also wondering about what you used for the "car door" trim that you mentioned, and the material for your blue tunic?

Thanks,
Gator

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back