Gladiator armor comission

marsattack

Sr Member
Hi guys , I thought I'd share some incredible work with you all.
a little over a month ago after acquiring a Factory X helmet , decided that I would go the whole outfit to display.
With this in mind I contacted Stephen210 who is a friend and whom I am a long time customer , to make me one of his awesome swords.

The Factory X helmet , I have been looking for quite a while and the sword was actually casted from screen used parts.
I would always recommend Steve , his work and personality are of very high Standard.

I have dealt in the past with really creative people but it is of the next person I would like to talk to you about .

I contacted Tim (apelord) here originally to make me and cast me out of pewter the horses and insignias in the front of Russel Crowes Gladiator armor, as I had seen very briefly some pictures of his work.
My idea at the time was to then buy or find a suitable chest piece and attached the casts.
He offered to make the whole armour.
As I spoke to him via emails , I realised that this guy knew quite a bit about the Era, techniques and methods used in those days.
After going ahead with the commission , Tim has been in contact with me constantly via emails, showing me pictures of the progress.
Tim has conducted himself and continues to do so in a professional manner, respectful and very quick in responding to every single concern and question I throw at him via email.
Anyone that can produce the following pictures after 2 weeks surely has my vote!!
Outstanding craftmanship ,My armour is made to true period method. Shaping leather armor involves soaking the leather in hot Beeswax, and then shaping it in a form until it "hardens". This method is called "Corboulle",

The cuirass is made of very thick raw leather molded to my specific dimensions and measurements, then covered with a fine coloured leather, will then be aged accordingly. The pauldron he has hand made out of alloy .
he will then sculpt the horses and flowers , cast them in pewter and attach them to the cuirass.
Again I will let Tim add the missing bit that go with the pics.

The good news is that Tim is up to the challenge of making any armor , including this one , and I hope that he chimes in here to describe what else he is doing .
It is a pleasure to work and have met Tim , a real gentleman.

So far:
04.jpg

02.jpg

07.jpg

03.jpg

100_3441.jpg

100_3442.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

DSC_0623.jpg

The authentic method of crafting this is just plain gravy on top of an already awesome piece. Can't wait to see more. Gladiator is one of my favorite films, and arms-and-armor has always been a love of mine. Keep the updates coming :)

Howdy folks!

It's me, the maker of this thing. I want to thank Mars for the opportunity to make this rig, as I've been keen to recreate this one since the film premiered. I also want folks to know that this one is to be as authentic as possible, while still capturing the film version as much as possible. That means it will not be 100% "period", but only because the film version was not.

For example, I'm fairly well versed in period technology, and I'm certain the Roman craftsman had no "Car door trim" on hand, but in my extensive research of the various suits, I believe that is what is used on the bulk of them. A head scratcher to sure, but I'm certain that's what the production team used.

I will do my best to update here when I can, but be patient. I won't have anything worth posting pics of until Sunday or Monday. These pics will be of a few of the sculpts of the horses, tree, Griffins, and such. I hope to have them all ready to mold by the end of next week. There are 10 sculpts to do, and I've only just started.

This just may wind up being the prototype for a very small run of these, providing there is enough interest once I complete it. So please, if this thing is something you may want, keep checking back here for the progress updates. But for now, I must get back to work, but I'll check back in later.

Apelord, Mars.. damn fellows what a gorgeous project - and only 3 responses..

Many thanks or starting this thread Mars and to Apelord for not only making this happen with consummate professionalism, but also for sharing his skills and talents with the rest of us.

I'll watch this thread with great interest and I'll also make a mental note to compliment Mars on the fantastic abs that were obviously used in the bodycast for this armour :love

Cheers guys and good luck..

Highest regards

MARK

WOW!

Now that's really amazing. Looks good guys, thanks for sharing your experiences with the RPF.

Looking forward to seeing the ongoing progress!

brad

Mark , yes !!lol Apelord required close up pics of my Abs in order to get an acurate shape for the armour!
It took me 2 weeks to achieve that look although now i am back to my old self!!!
And to make it clear..... Mark you are still my favourite Artist!!!!
Also thanks Jameth for linking this to your thread, i am sure it will help others looking for the rest of the costume.
I just thought the way the armour was being made was cool on its own, I was even prepared to got the plastic or resin option, this sure is unique and to be able to find someone to make it.
Forgot to mention that Tim has offered the WHOLE entire suit, arm bands , sandals etc..
Will post pics as they come in, thank you guys
Mars

Awe shucks, y'all. It's enough to make a little Ape blush. ;-) Thanks!
More pics coming soon. My crappy camera is wigging out, (the battery compartment was recently damaged), but I'll be posting some pics of the sculpts in the next few days.

the armor looks great so far...

I know museum replicas is in the works of making Gladiator Armor and wardrobe for the film :( not the best company out there to do that though.

I cant wait to see the finish product. I always wanted the Final battle scene armor. I considered it several times starting this project, but the almighty dollar holds me back like others haha

Last edited:
I cant wait either for this!!!!

Although there may be mass produced replicas out there and I originally would not of mind them being made out of plastic or resin, after hearing from TIm , there is nothing that would TOP a HANDCRAFTED piece made especially for you!!

Just in case TIm , you better sign my armor on the inside somewhere!!!!
yes I know that I ask that from all you guys I have bought stuff off!!!
That, is just my thing!
mars

No worries there dude, I always sign my work in some way or another.

I just caught something I missed in your first post I need to correct, though. This Cuirass has not yet been Corboullied with wax. The process I used is virtually the same, but for the moment it has just been shaped in boiling water and then dried to hold it's shape. This is also a period technique, but is actually part of a multi-step process.

The reason for this is that I am trying like hell to match the film version's look, color and texture. They used dry leather, and you can even hear it squeak in the soundtrack. The wax will come last, and will basically "seal" the inside of it from moisture and sweat. I must state here that "normally" this would be done with the molten wax, in one step, but if I were to do it on this one the appearance would be a lot like a piece of wet leather, and thus darken the color from say a light tan to a medium to dark brown. (or in this case a charcoal-grey to black)

I will try to snap some pics of that process, but I'm currently focused on completing this thing in good time, and rarely have time to take pictures while I'm working. But, I'll try. If nothing else I may post a tutorial on this process if the interest is high enough.

---Ape

I cant wait either for this!!!!

Although there may be mass produced replicas out there and I originally would not of mind them being made out of plastic or resin, after hearing from TIm , there is nothing that would TOP a HANDCRAFTED piece made especially for you!!

Just in case TIm , you better sign my armor on the inside somewhere!!!!
yes I know that I ask that from all you guys I have bought stuff off!!!
That, is just my thing!
mars

OK kids... here's a few pics of the sculpts for the pewter bits. These are still in progress, but I promised pics so here they are. I wish I had better pics to work from, but I think they are very close so far. What do you guys think?

View attachment 32442

View attachment 32441

The griffins are going to take the longest to do, 'cuz "feathers" take a lot of time to get right.

View attachment 32443

I'll post more pics later this week of the progress, and hopefully I'll be ready to mold them and possibly cast them next weekend.

I have to agree . This is a thread that HAS to be followed because this is the most fantastic work!

Congratulations mate and looking forward to seeing your progress

Regards

MARK

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back