Gladiator armor comission

TIm, WOW matE!!
I have to say this again : This is MY ARMOR!!
worth every cent!
True artisan at work here , and lets NOT forget , the man said Monday and it is Monday.
I am more than certain that you have put your name down here as a mark and I am also certain that people will be contacting you very soon , not just for armor builds but judging from your sculpting skills ....many other projects.
You will be soon pretty busy and I am glad I got you to do this .... FIRST.
Thank you for your continuos progress reports .
Mars

I hate to be the first to ask but any idea on price???

The only other two places to get the Maximus armor have widely different price ranges.

Thanks again Mars, you are too kind.

As far as price goes, let me tell you all right now that this is a lot of work, and thus not cheap to create. Let me finish it and then I'll have a better idea of my actual costs in time and money. Also by then, I'll have looked into less complicated methods of construction that are less "period", but closer to the methods used by the film makers, and still maintain the high aesthetic standards I strive for.

Sounds good. It's just so strange because Todd's is $1,200 for a complete Carthage minus boots and MP Filmcraft is $675 for the same. I'm a huge Todd fan and have gotten many really really good priced items from him but they both look great and one is nearly half the price??????? So I was just curious if you had a ballpark idea but I know that's probably not possible now.

I have an agreement with my wife. If I lose all the weight I need to and get back in shape I can buy a complete Maximus carthage costume for Halloween 2011. Pudgy Maximus does not work. I already have the Factory X helmet I'm modifying to fit my big head and fit snugger on the face. I was supposed to wait until I made progress before I got anything so she does not know about the helmet so everyone here keep that on the down lo.:lol:confused

Thanks again Mars, you are too kind.

As far as price goes, let me tell you all right now that this is a lot of work, and thus not cheap to create. Let me finish it and then I'll have a better idea of my actual costs in time and money. Also by then, I'll have looked into less complicated methods of construction that are less "period", but closer to the methods used by the film makers, and still maintain the high aesthetic standards I strive for.

I don't know those people, or their products, so I can't comment on their pricing. I only how much I put into whatever I make...and I must get compensated for it. I am no amateur, and I usually let my work speak for itself. The universal truth it that one gets what one pays for. Low prices mean low quality, but high prices do not guarantee it either.

Wait til I'm finished, and I think you'll be pleased enough to handle the final "sticker-shock". LOL. ;-)

Awesome work..I love Gladiator...but I´ve no props from the movie.:cry
Were is the helmet with the gladiator-stand from?

kroenen, iti sia Factory X, may come up on Ebay from time to time, I think the company, like all companies that made good stuff......went broke!
Mars

Howdy sports fans... Here's a few pics of the cuirass assembled. The Pauldron, and shoulder strap are not finished yet, but will be soon. I am almost ready to make the molds for the pewter bits, which I hopefully will get to tomorrow or Sunday, and cast the pewter by Monday or Tuesday...fingers crossed.

It's now 6:30 pm here in Kansas, and I've be working fairly non-stop on this since I woke up. But today is my birthday, so I'm clocking out for the evening, and gonna Drink a six pack of Guinness, and get back to work tomorrow. Y'all be cool, and stay groovy!

Does anyone know the details of the things added to his armor in each arena scene???????

In the second he has added his wife and son but what does the other chest armor pieces represent, the additional waist straps, and the added shoulder armor which I'm guessing has something to do with rank??????

I want the battle of carthage as that is the armor that goes with the helmet but I may do a hybrid because I really like the pieces of his wife and son. Maybe just get those to be able to take on and off the armor.

Outstanding work. I want one.

the question on the armor up grades. Gladiators got paid. So it goes to figure as Maximus got money he added to his armor. The figurse represent his past life.
The Griffins were already on the armor (Proximo had those put on)
GladExt2Sla0203.jpg

then he added the Popler Tree and his horses
GladExt2Sla0688.jpg

then his wife and son
maximus36.jpg

screen used
32613.jpg

32614.jpg

32617.jpg

just a side not on the eagle sword. this was originally made to be worn by Marcus Aurelius. However, Richard Harris would not wear it due to it's weight. So... that is how Maximus got the sword. (Simon Atherton wanted to get it in the movie.
So I guess Maximus would have purchased that too...

my thoughts anyway.. BACK to your AWESOME WORK.

HAPPY BITHDAY too.

Steve

Last edited:
Absolutely amazing! I just learned 100 years of armor craftsmanship techniques in 30 secs! :lol What a fantastic thread!

Apelord, I can identify with the amount of time a new piece of commissioned work takes. I've built some custom swords in the past, and whenever it's a brand new type...it's always a little nerve wracking to try new techniques and processes to make it perfect.

You're doing a fantastic job, and thanks for all of the great posts!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back