Gizmo from the My science project movie

Has anyone had any progress with this prop? I am really interested in giving it a go. I heard that the original was destroyed so, unless someone can get ahold of the blueprints, screencaps will have to do.

Has anyone had any progress with this prop? I am really interested in giving it a go. I heard that the original was destroyed so, unless someone can get ahold of the blueprints, screencaps will have to do.
Its all here for the reading!

Found this digital render by Hex3D It's pretty amazing.
E9WTsEkVgAAqNnt?format=jpg&name=orig.jpg

I have been waiting for that design to be released for at least a year. Even messaged the creator about it, but never heard back.
Maybe if more people reached out, it might be released.
HEX3D is a member of the RPF, maybe this thread will help.

-Skyler101

No kidding. That interaction started to give me the vibe of 'I've got this stuff and I'm just here to let you know, see ya!'. Just my feeling, but I've seen it before.

For what it's worth- I have been chipping away at this in my spare time, between screen caps, flattened images of the blueprints here, and some other reference materials out there. The above blueprints do vary from the main sceen-used Gizmo in a few ways, including some base and body details. I know they would have been a great asset to have when working up the design, but I feel at least a little bit better knowing that there are more accurate details to find on-screen than what the prints show lol.

Any who, no timeline on this as I have my regular work schedule to contend with, but I can say that at least one of us is still trudging away on it

View attachment 1536610
:p
Any update? This looks GREAT!!!

I will be making one after I finished my fullsize Alien which means next year at least..lol

I am going to make it out of foam and use a real plasma globe so it won't strictly be 100 percent movie accurate. I just gotta see those plasma fingers dancing.

BTW I love that movie... Fisher Stevens is awesome in this! That movie poster is one in my collection.

Last edited:
I was checking out the movie today and noticed it is not just a modified plasma globe... I think it is a double ended modified plasma globe. It has an electrode coming in from both ends.... very fancy and I bet it is very rare.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-08-02-19h22m02s847.jpg
    vlcsnap-2023-08-02-19h22m02s847.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 40
  • vlcsnap-2023-08-02-19h20m33s260.jpg
    vlcsnap-2023-08-02-19h20m33s260.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 44
So just to be clear.. it looks like there are two power supplies for the Gizmo's globe...

in this drawing the left image would be a normal plasma globe with the power supply in red.. the right one would be the gizmo.

I could be wrong but that is what it looks like...

Attachments

• globe.jpg
    globe.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 38
So just to be clear.. it looks like there are two power supplies for the Gizmo's globe...

in this drawing the left image would be a normal plasma globe with the power supply in red.. the right one would be the gizmo.

I could be wrong but that is what it looks like...

I had noticed that too when I went looking for appropriate-sized globes. I see the typical ball electrode, but then there's that second electrode unit opposite that is interacting with the plasma filaments coming off the first ball. I am thinking that it's a practical effect we're seeing, and not anything done in post because it's so clean? Anyways, I've never seen a novelty ball with two fittings inside like that. You could hack into a ball and add a second mock electrode, but that opens a whole other can of worms.

I had noticed that too when I went looking for appropriate-sized globes. I see the typical ball electrode, but then there's that second electrode unit opposite that is interacting with the plasma filaments coming off the first ball. I am thinking that it's a practical effect we're seeing, and not anything done in post because it's so clean? Anyways, I've never seen a novelty ball with two fittings inside like that. You could hack into a ball and add a second mock electrode, but that opens a whole other can of worms.
Oh yes I bet there is a good story to go along with the gizmo globe. Bet it's still out there too. No way they just throw something like that away.

I wonder if it is two power supplies or just one with two wires going to the different electrodes?

Attachments

• globe1.jpg
    globe1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 34
I was checking out the movie today and noticed it is not just a modified plasma globe... I think it is a double ended modified plasma globe. It has an electrode coming in from both ends.... very fancy and I bet it is very rare.
The Globe was custom built specifically for this prop by Larry

Attachments

• museum-neon-art-glendale-california-plasma-larry-albright-1990s.jpg
    museum-neon-art-glendale-california-plasma-larry-albright-1990s.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 29

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back