Gino/CRPROPS "appraisal" Helmet #8

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by FalconV8, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconV8

FalconV8 Active Member

I have a GINO/CRPROPS #8 ANH Stunt that has been signed by Dave Gielda. I paid 650 for it. What are these going for these days, don't ever see any of them up for sale really....

CM

2. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member

I had one once and I sold it. Wish I hadn't. You paid what I paid for mine though. They are great helmets.......

3. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Hey neighbour - I've got #7...

Although unfortunately mine has a number of cracks in the Styrene including a hirline one thats about 3-4" long running across the femail curve/tumbelhome on the back :(

I think Dave was originally selling these for around $700 although could be wrong.

I think he and Gino made at least 50 so not sure what their "value" is.

Cheers

Jez

4. GINO

GINO Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nowhere near 50. Not even in the ballpark.
    Also, I wouldn't put much stock in the "number" on the helmet. There was not an edition that they came from. Dave numbered some of his helmets just for kicks but like I said, I wouldn't rely on that number as being true as I know for a fact that they aren't.

5. Star Wars Helmets

To be fair gino you've said on more than one occasion that you did two "versions" of this helmet. One with a different cap/back? Even two smakll runs of 30+20 would still make 50.

Cheers

Jez

6. GINO

Just because they were made doesn't mean they were offered.
    I'm quite confident that I have the largest collection of trooper helmets on the rpf.

And just to clarify, the newest version of helmet is very different and comes solely from me, not CRProps.

7. Star Wars Helmets

So are you saying you and Dave made somehting like 50 helmets and then stuck them all away in a cupboard somewhere? :rolleyes

Cheers

Jez

8. GINO

Are you trying to start a fight with me or what?

9. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

I used to have a CRPROPs helmet that I got from Dave G for $650. Took a few months to get but it was a nice helmet...wish I still had it for reference ;).

I'm guessing they are worth about $250-350 now...at least based on Ebay sales of stunt helmet replicas...
    :cheers,

Thomas

10. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

Do you have to drag every Gino thread down. :rolleyes

The guy wanted an idea what the helmet was worth.....

Geez

11. FalconV8

FalconV8 Active Member

None of those helmets on Ebay are GINO/CRPROPS helmets though, not that I have seen. Gino stated earlier that there are much less than 50 running around, so I would hope they are at least still worth close to what I paid.
    Things are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, just wondered if anyone knew of these changing hands, I don't hear much about them for sale so I'm thinking they are fairly rare and held onto, much like I should probably do. ;)

12. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

I think eBay is a fairly good way to get the pulse of what people are willing to pay for any given item. Unfortunately replica trooper buckets seem to be going for a lot less on eBay right lately. Heck, even SDS helmets listed at $625 are going without a bid; that's an approximate 20% price drop. Yikes.

I think your helmet would go for more than the typical helmet due to its pedigree and, not to get all Antique's Roadshow on you, I would say the helmet would probably fetch between $400 and $500.

Do you mind my asking why you want to know? Are you selling it? Insurance claim? Something else?

Cheers.
    TJ

13. FalconV8

FalconV8 Active Member

14. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

I think you 'included' your reply in Jeezy's quote.

Cheers

15. jeezycreezy

I can't say as I blame you. ;)

16. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

I thought SDS lids retailed for $800?....do you mean 20% drop?
    As far as ebay being indicative of what Trooper lids are going for....most Trooper lids are not of the same pedigree so I don't think it's truly reflective. The last time I saw a set of his armor on ebay is when he listed a full armor kit himself....

Also, most people don't know the differences between the different kits/lids so if a truly special helmet came up for auction, only those in "the know" would drive the price up.....

17. jeezycreezy

D'oh. Yeah. Thanks. Off to edit...

18. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I believe this is absolutely correct. It totally depends on where you sell it and how informed your buyer is. To a typical eBayer a "Gino" helmet probably means little to nothing. But to those in the know, it means a WORLD of difference in quality and value.

19. FalconV8

FalconV8 Active Member

I definately would put it up for sale here before Ebay.
    Or at least let everyone know it is on ebay, giving everyone a chance to beat each other up with a bid war.

20. marcvs66

marcvs66 New Member

I sold my Gino/CRProps [finished/painted by Dave G.] on ebay, shortly before the AA/SDS helmet became available. I ended up getting $950. The helmet went to a nice guy in Spain, who was thrilled to have such an incredibly rare [yes - I'm naive enough to believe that there are actually much less than 50 of these out there] and beautiful helmet. I remember, that a number of people back then seemed to sell off their Gino/CRProps helmets, to generate funds for the AA/SDS helmets - at least, that was my reasoning to sell my Gino helmet... which a couple of months later, I very much regretted. That helmet was pretty awesome and I wish, it was still in my collection... oh, well - water under the bridge.

Would one be able to still fetch anywhere close to $900+ for a CRProps helmet today? I would think, that depends on whether you manage to find the right buyer? Quite frankly - to this day, turns out that the Gino ST helmet still ranks as one of the best ST helmet out there... maybe THE best. If you find somebody who is able to recognize the fact, that the helmet is... well, the best [maybe at par w/ a newer/nice-pull TE]... I think, you should be able to get anywhere from $650-$750+... my best guess.

Hey, last time I checked w/ TE - he was asking $850+ for a fully finished, glossy styrene helmet - so, why would a Gino helmet go for less than that these days? [Also keep in mind that the Gino does not have any decals but is completely hand-painted, etc. - no other helmet out there is fully hand-painted... well, that meatsock-guy sold a few hand-painted ones... but... they were basically TE recasts - right?]

Over the years, I haven't seen very many CRProps/Gino helmets for sale... especially ones, that were trimmed/assembled and finished by Gino and not Dave G. The Gino finished helmets are nicer and there have to be just a handfull of them out there... I've never seen or held [a fully finished] one in person - but I've seen photographs that confirm this fact... I haven't seen any Gino/CRProps for sale on ebay for a long time either...

I would just keep the helmet - it's a good one - and who knows, when you'll come across a better one? Everybody should have a ST helmet in their collection... so, might as well keep what you have and count yourself lucky?

21. Star Wars Helmets

No I'm not, I just think there are more Gino/CRProps helmets out there than you've suggested.

Maybe Dave was producing more - I dont know. But there were a fair few people I know who had these helmets when they were being made two/three years back. I also recall threads on this board from people complaining that"CRProps" was taking an age to deliver their helmets and wasnt responding to emails.

I dont see what the problem is, I'm certainly not criticising your helmet. Even if it was 50 its hardly like it was mass production, plus you did say you did a 2nd version after the CRProps.

Cheers

Jez

22. brightmidnight

brightmidnight New Member

I believe I've got your old CRPROPS helmet Thomas, along with the one Dave made for me.

Did you add the chinstrap yourself out of interest?

They're beautiful helmets, and I can't see myself ever selling them. Both mine have gaps between the cap (brow) and faceplate incidentally, but I'm not sure if that goes for all CRPROPS lids - I guess it's just down to assembly.

23. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

I'll never sell my Gino helmet. Never ever. Eventhough there is a lot of nice and new helmets out there i'll keep my Gino bucket until i die. It's one of the nicest items i've ever owned and it's a beatiful lid. Well constructed and very very close to teh screenused helmets. I love it.

24. Star Wars Helmets

Do either of your helmets have numbers in them? Mines on the inside of the undercut near the mic tips.

Also Musashi-do yours have any styrene cracks as mine seems to have quite a few. Maybe I was unlucky?

Cheers

Jez

25. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Wow, you made yourself 20-30 helmets only for your private collection Gino??? You really must be in love with yourself. Just messin with ya bro. :)

Dave

26. GINO

You really must try to be less transparent when baiting me. Just messin with ya bro. :)

27. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Cheers, Musashi....glad you're still enjoying it....I still kinda miss it....it came with the strap :). Ya but it doesn't have a number in it as I recall....I prefer the gaps in the brow....as I recall it was a perfectly put together helmet, no flaws....

:cheers,

Thomas

28. marcvs66

marcvs66 New Member

Maybe 20-30 helmets for one's private collection would be pushing it a little bit, BUT: once you get into Stormtrooper helmets and you start to be able to distinguish helmets from different scenes, etc. - the natural progression/consequence usually is, that you want ALL the different variations of trooper helmets that you see on screen [especially when good reference photographs become available on a particular helmet. As was the case recenty w/ the two Sandtrooper helmets].

The Move-Along Sandtrooper, the Blast' Em Sandtrooper, The Felth Sandtrooper, a helmet that replicates TE's 2nd stunt helmet, a Standee-Hero, a Han-Hero, a Luke-Hero, one or two ESB helmets, the two different style ROTJ helmets... I'm sure, I am fogetting one or two variations here... plus: if I was forming myself a bunch of Stormtroopers, I would make sure to also form a bunch of faceplates for TIE Pilots and ATAT Pilots while I'm at it... and have some extras sitting around the house - just in case... so, 20 helmets doesn't sound all that far off - at least in my book. Heck - I would LOVE to have pieces for 20 ST helmets laying around the house to mess with... my idea of a good time. Really - can one ever own too many ST helmets - even if we're talking 20+? I think NOT.

29. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

Jez: My helmet do not have a signature at all. Not even a number.

30. marcvs66

marcvs66 New Member

My CRProps helmet had the number 4 DG and a signature of sorts... it was kind of hidden, placed on the inside right where the aerators are... My guess is, these numbers don't mean a whole lot...

31. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

I'll check it out when i get home later tonight, but i'm pretty sure it's clean.

32. marcvs66

marcvs66 New Member

33. FalconV8

FalconV8 Active Member

34. Star Wars Helmets

Thats how I noticed the number too - purely by chance when I stuck it on :lol

Any of you guys have Styrene cracks?

Jez

35. GINO

I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than one helmet witht the same number. It was just supposed to be a goof from the start and totally not representative of anything. An inside joke if you will.

36. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan New Member

I think the new helmets Gino made would go for far more, but he doesnt sell them. The older Gino/Crprops had some redetailing on the cap and face. I beleive they removed the last hole on the frown?

Is that right Gino?

Either way, the older Gino Crprops helmets were incredible. Its hard to say that they were/are the best because they are modified a little, but the quality is incredible. Definatly a rare find and worth anywhere from $600+ that could probably go for $1000 if you had educated buyers who knew how rare they are.

Either way, i'd rather have Gino's new helmets ;)

37. GINO

In regards to the old Gino/CRProps helmets, the only mods done were the removal of the bumps/texture on the back cap. Faceplate was left alone.

The new Gino helmets are totally unmodified and use earcaps taken from a screen identified helmet. Not to mention different plastic and thinner plastic, and all new accessories.

38. mike d

mike d Well-Known Member

Mine is still as shiny as when i got it 3 years ago. I have tried it on about 2 times, but never trooped in it. It's a display piece. No cracks. Regardless on how old it is, in my opinion it's still the best, except for Gino's new lid.

-Mikael

39. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Well, I know the numbers aren't suppose to mean anything, but I had to take a couple of pics anyway, not easy from the inside of a helmet.....
    [​IMG]

Sig.....
    [​IMG]

And just to show off :D
    [​IMG]

I do have a small bit of yellowing above the troopers left ear and a small hairline, it's still sound though.
    I also discovered that I REALLY need to clean the inside of my helmet :eek

Cheers,

Kraig

40. FalconV8

FalconV8 Active Member

My helmet shows no cracks but there are many bumps on the front cap just above the brow trim, all the way across, but clears up the higher on the dome you go, ala the original helmets.....

CM

[attachmentid=6269]

41. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

But I'm not talkin variants, the 35+ helmets I am referring to are all identical. :) Pretty whimsical collection eh???

42. brightmidnight

The helmet Dave made for me had a small crack just above the neck trim near the base of the left ear, which he later fixed for me using a styrene patch on the inside. You can't even see it now.

It must have occured during shipping, as Dave said he always thoroughly checked the helmets before sending them out. The styrene used on these CRPROPS helmets is certainly rather brittle, so I'm sure it doesn't take much stress to put cracks in them... There was also another hairline crack on one of the tubes wich Dave had patched in the first place, and he mentioned to me that such flaws were not uncommon due to the nature of the material/stresses of demolding etc.

There's no flaws on the other CRPROPS I have though - the one first owned by Thomas. The only issue with that one is the right ear is set too far back, but I'm in two minds as to whether I should attempt to alter it. If I accidentally wrecked it I'd be devastated.

Can anyone else who owns one of these helmets tell me if there's a gap on theirs between the brow and faceplate? It's not something I'd want to change, but I'm just curious...

Mine are numbered too - 12 and 14 - in the same place as everyone elses.

43. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

I have had a couple of these helmets pass through my hands, both made by Gino, not Dave. One had the gap and the other did not. I believe it is simply a matter of how far forward the faceplate is pushed. The gap really annoyed me but I honestly don't know how accurate/inaccurate that is. I would assume that some of the originals might have been that way but we don't have a whole lot of ref of an angle of the helmet that would show/disprove it.

44. rebel scum

rebel scum New Member

I have a CRPROPS and yes there is a gap at the front of the face plate/brow. No cracks though :)

Chris

45. brightmidnight

The best reference I can think of is the SDS helmet stack photo, and having just checked sure enough there's one with a gap exactly like mine (top row second from the left)

[​IMG]

I do prefer no gap, but at least it is accurate...

Thanks WC

46. marcvs66

marcvs66 New Member

[snapback]1169668[/snapback]​
    [/quote]
    But I'm not talkin variants, the 35+ helmets I am referring to are all identical. :) Pretty whimsical collection eh???
    [snapback]1170394[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

Well - the helmet variations start out as identical pulls [let's ignore the fact that the hero helmets have a slightly wider face for now...] and only by trimming, assembling and detailing them in different ways, you end up w/ all the different variations - right? If I had the opportunity, skills/ability to form myself a bunch of ST helmet parts and stash them away to make myself a bunch of ST helmet varaition - I'd do it in a second. Doesn't sound all that weird and unusual to me... but - I admit - I'm probably a little bit TOO MUCH into trooper helmets...

47. Star Wars Helmets

Thanks for the update musashi, imo the styrene is quite brittle but it sounds like the crack on mine may be a one-off. I did wear it a couple of times so maybe it was too much stress for it.

I thought Jumpin Jax's comments (from TE) were interesting though

It sounds like the guy who sold Gino/CRProps the moulds (TE) is suggesting that the “provenance” over them differs significantly from what they sold the helmets as. Basically they were “advertised” as cast off a mould taken from Matt’s helmet when in fact they were cast off a cast off a mould taken from Matt’s helmet, i.e. one generation further removed.

Since its been glossed over on the other thread I thought I’d raise it here given Gino has in the past been quite accusatory of other helmet producers’ practices (Stormtrooper and Vader), and positioned himself as some kind of “ethical” supremo.

I'd certainly be interested in Gino clarifying exactly what the position is.

Cheers

Jez

48. altername

altername Well-Known Member

I wonder what TK409's sandy went for.

49. jeezycreezy

Actually, a guy who claims to be a buddy of the guy who sold him the molds said that. Slight difference. I realize TE isn't a member here and can't speak for himself, but that doesn't change the fact that what was said is hearsay.

And frankly, after the way the "TE helmet that almost was" thread went down, I'd want to hear the accusation straight from the horse's mouth before I gave it any credence. Sorry, but I just don't trust people who go back and drastically edit their posts.

That's a bit of a rush to judgment on your part I think. You have Gino's word vs. a buddy of TE's word at this point. That is hardly conclusive enough to say "in fact" in my opinion.

Maybe it wasn't "glossed over" so much as other people simply don't share your concern?

Sorry, but it's starting to look like the "cracks in the styrene" thing where you kept harping on about it until you've browbeaten (for lack of a better word) people into replying. :)

I'm sure your questions are purely academic and quite frankly I share your curiosity, but unless you're an interested buyer I really don't see why you think Gino owes you an explanation or why you're seemingly on a crusade for answers.

Cheers.
    TJ

50. jeezycreezy

I believe he didn't get a bid at his asking price. Shame, really. It's a * nice looking suit.

Cheers.
    TJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.