Gideon graves glasses

TRON JA 307020

Hi I'm new here and this is my first project. I've been hoping to make some wearable electronics with some light up lenses such as the ones seen in Scott pilgrim, any tips on how I could achieve this sort of lighting effect?
graves.jpggideon.jpg

Originally I had several different ideas, but after seeing the video I've narrowed it down to really two options. Neither of which require electronics and can't be switched on and off.

1. You could use a Pearlescent White glass stain to paint the 'X' shape on to the lenses. When the glasses are at their brightest the 'X' turns white (like in the picture on the right) This option is good because since it is pearlescent you will get extra shine out of it, however its only translucent...not transparent. So maybe use it sparingly.
View the color selection of the Pearlescent paints to get an idea > DecoArt Glass Stain Products

2. You could use a Blue Glow facepaint/paint. Like the stuff thats in glow sticks and what people use at raves. Just make sure you get the kind that you do not need a UV/black light for. Benefit of this is Blue Glow facepaint isn't permanent unlike the stain. I would personally go with something like this, although I'm sure after a while of wearing them the glow would probably get annoying. Cool thing about it though is it will get brighter in the dark. I don't know how transparent they would be though. However the paint is relatively cheap.
Examples:
Glow Face Paint
SUPER Glow in the Dark Blacklight Paint

I would suggest practicing them on some cheap gas station glasses before doing them to actual ray-bans though. Sorry that these aren't really what you were looking for, I just don't have any idea on how to get lights in it. Hope I helped...I'm sure someone else might have other ideas that could work as well. But I figured I'd try to offer my best alternatives.

Last edited:
I don't know how easy it would be, I've personally never stained glass before and don't know if it would run...or even if you can stain eyeglasses. I don't know if you'd need to stain a specific glass and cut it to fit the frames or not. But I think it'd be worth looking into.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back