Giant 31" Darth Vader figure

anyone have tips for making the helmet shinny and glossy? it's not bad but looks like cheap plastic, I've seen some finishing in this thread and it looks just like the original helmet, please share your techniques, can the head come off to be re painted or...?

Here is a picture of a Mod i did with the light Saber, what is a Darth Vader if his Lightsaber doesn't work? Lol

Works off an iPhone charger

IMG_14401.jpg

its $25 walmart here in canada.
this vader sculpt is way more accurate than their attempt at the batman from dark knight rises which I also have.
dark-knight-rises-giant-size-31-batman-kl-malaysia-cindylee-1212-14-cindylee@1.jpg

HOLY Giraffe neck. Horrible Batman. :facepalm I recently received the Vader/Clone Trooper duo for a great deal from someone. I'm actually very impressed with the Vader. Another RPF-er shortened his Chain, mine was just fine. He also added some mesh to his face etc. I honestly didn't feel the need to right now. I thought about the bondo and repaint of his shoulder area as someone else did, but I also like his "Force Grip" hand extended outward....

I wish I could say the same for the Clone trooper. He's rather generic and is going to get a full repaint and some possible reposing with a little bit of heat. I'm also going to scratch build him a long rifle, maybe a backpack and some other goodies to make him more believable.. How accurate the long rifel will be to the ones they used, I don't know as I hated them. So, after a few long standing projects in the distant future I may tackle the Clone trooper.

I'm a bit late to the game, but I picked up my 31" Darth for cheap a few days ago. It's based on the ROTS Darth and I think I will stick with that.

Overall he's an impressive guy and can be even more impressive with not too much effort.

Planned & started mods (random order):
  • new cape
  • new tunic
  • shorter/black chain
  • lit panels on chestbox / belt boxes
  • blinking coin slots on chestbox (w/ arduino)
  • reposing of the left arm
  • adding light saber blade and putting LS in right hand (lit - maybe)
  • remove seams from chest armor
  • repaint
  • build base
Already took Darth apart and started removing stuff to add LEDs.

LEDs are on their way, arduino code is written. I will post updates soon.

Today I cut out the unused guts under the chestbox.
Although this Vader had no electronics, there are still holders and stuff inside. Either there was another version with sound and they used the same mold or it was planned and scrapped but the mold was already done. Either way, it had to go to make room for the LEDs.

While at it, I also cut his right arm to repose it.

IMG_6076.jpg

Bonus picture of my son playing with Darth before disassembly

IMG_6063.jpg

Last edited:
Cut out the panels from the belt boxes. This is quite easy, since it's a soft rubbery material. These will be replaced with 5x5mm square LEDs. Also removed the red lights. These will be replaced by 2mm LEDs.

IMG_6078.jpg
IMG_6079.jpg

Also cut out the Coinslots on the Chestbox. This was also quite easy since they are designed to be grilles for the (potential) speaker behind it. The green panel is a dummy button for the unused electronics and pops out easy. Only the red panel is plastic, bit with some scoring with a hobby knife, that came out as well.

IMG_6080.jpg

Everything will be backlit by 5x5mm LEDs. I'll have to find some translucent/colored material to cover the holes though. Shouldn't be too hard.

I added the LEDs to the belt boxes today. The red LEDs are a little bright so I will have to add some resistors to them.

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6093.jpg

^Nice....I had ended up getting one at Costco for $40 over seven years ago and it's still in the box in my basement! Lol!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back