Ghostbusters movie by Russo Brothers

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sony Plans Guy-Themed ‘Ghostbusters’ Film With Russo Brothers, Channing Tatum & ‘IM3′ Scribe Drew Pearce

http://deadline.com/2015/03/ghostbusters-channing-tatum-joe-and-anthony-russo-drew-pearce-ivan-reitman-dan-aykroyd-1201388917/

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is broadening the Ghostbusters franchise and the first order of business will be a male-driven action-centric comedy that is a counterpart to the Paul Feig-directed film that will start production in June. The studio is simultaneously forming Ghostcorps, a new production company whose principals include original Ghostbusters architects Ivan Reitman and Dan Aykroyd; they will have offices at Sony with the mission to scare up branding opportunities based on the 1984 comedy classic.

Reitman is putting the male-driven film with a powerhouse brain trust: Captain America: The Winter Soldier helmers Joe and Anthony Russo, who just made a first-look Sony deal and are looking to direct and produce this; Drew Pearce, the Iron Man 3 and Mission: Impossible 5 scribe who’ll write; and Channing Tatum and his partners Reid Carolin and Peter Kiernan, who are attached to produce. The hope is for Tatum to play one of the Ghostbusters in this film. Given his versatility and franchising success in 21 Jump Street and Magic Mike, he’s a good cornerstone to launch another Ghostbusters series. The idea came from Pearce, who honed it the Russo Brothers, Tatum’s team and Reitman.

This is being put together even as the studio moves to the start line with a Ghostbusters reboot that will be directed by Feig and star his Bridesmaids leads Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, and Saturday Night Live stand outs Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon. All of this is being steered by new studio head Tom Rothman, Doug Belgrad and production president Michael De Luca.

Reitman confirmed these early plans to Deadline, and said that this was something he and Aykroyd had long discussed. In fact, it is remarkably close to the branding prospects included in a cosmic Bible for the possibilities that they hatched 30 years ago, ideas which were used to form the original film. They were rolling around ideas for Ghostcorps with top Sony execs Amy Pascal and Belgrad last fall at the Toronto Film Festival at Montecito. That’s the 12,000-square-foot restaurant that Reitman opened near the TIFF Bell Lightbox building, and which played host to several major festival premieres. Now, after Pascal left to become a producer on Feig’s Ghostbusters, they are ready to move on the branding effort.

“We want to expand the Ghostbusters universe in ways that will include different films, TV shows, merchandise, all things that are part of modern filmed entertainment,” Reitman told me. “This is a branded entertainment, a scary supernatural premise mixed with comedy. Paul Feig’s film will be the first version of that, shooting in June to come out in July 2016. He’s got four of the funniest women in the world, and there will be other surprises to come. The second film has a wonderful idea that builds on that. Drew will start writing and the hope is to be ready for the Russo Brothers’ next window next summer to shoot, with the movie coming out the following year. It’s just the beginning of what I hope will be a lot of wonderful movies.”

IvanReitman said that aside from himself and Aykroyd, Ghostcorps principals will be his longtime Montecito partner Tom Pollock, Ali Bell and Alex Plapinger, and Sony. They’ll take space on the Culver City lot, even as they continue operating Montecito as a separate production company. They have several pictures percolating at Paramount and they are getting close on a movie adaptation of Baywatch.

“My primary focus will be to build the Ghostbusters into the universe it always promised it might become. The original film is beloved, as is the cast, and we hope to create films we will continue to love.”

This is early days and the Russo Brothers, who are prepping their second Captain America pic Captain America: Civil War (Sony’s signature superhero Spider-Man is expected to make an appearance), have also been mentioned as being coveted by Marvel to direct the next two Avengers movies — taking over for Joss Whedon — so we’ll see the configuration when this makes it to the start gate.

That uncertainty doesn’t scare Reitman, particularly given how long it took to resuscitate the franchise after waiting years for original Ghostbuster Bill Murray to read the script. They are all very happy to be relaunching the franchise with Feig’s version.

“Sometimes things happen at the speed they are supposed to happen,” he said. “The deals were so strong on that second movie that the franchise became frozen in place 25 years. Nothing got done, we all had the power to block whatever we didn’t like, but we finally got together and found a way.”

Those Ghostbusters deals simply don’t exist anymore in Hollywood. Stars don’t get first dollar gross anymore, but that opens different doors that include back door paydays and, sometimes, being a part owner in a promising new concern like Ghostcorps.

WME reps the Russo Brothers, Tatum is with UTA and Management 360, and Pearce is repped by WME and PBJ Management.

Re: Ghostbusters 3

*clears throat*

"20th Century Fox Planning a White-Centric 'Fantastic Four' Movie"

Imagine how that head line would roll.

"Branded entertainment".......already sounds like a soulless film born in a board room and made by a committee.

because having both male and females on the same team in a true blue sequel with the original actors is oh so creatively bad...

ugh.
this keeps getting worse and worse. anyone think this movie would not have happened if the reaction to the first terrible idea would have been better received?

*clears throat*

Probably would drum up a lot of controversy.

Honestly, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was pretty good. Having the Russo Brothers writing and directing it gives me a bit of hope in it.

Last edited:
*clears throat*

That would depend on whether this headline was following a whole string of previous headlines about a minority-only version.

For my money they are getting ahead of themselves. I love GB as much as anyone but this franchise consists mostly of one good movie over 30 years ago. That was so long ago that Michael Jackson was black and had a normal nose.

GB may have a lot of future potential but the public's reaction is not exactly assured at this stage. Up to now GB is not Star Wars, or Superman, or even Terminator. Tons of franchises can produce diehard costumed fans at Comic-con but won't sell $200 million in tickets every summer.

Last edited:
That would depend on whether this headline was following a whole string of previous headlines about a minority-only version.

For my money they are getting ahead of themselves. I love GB as much as anyone but this franchise consists mostly of one good movie over 30 years ago. It may have a lot of future potential but the public's reaction is not exactly assured at this stage. Up to now GB is not Star Wars, or Superman, or even Terminator. Tons of franchises can produce diehard costumed fans at Comic-con but won't sell $200 million in tickets every summer.

Bingo.

It's far from guaranteed that (A) this will hit with the general public, or (B) resonate with the old school fans.

If anything, I'm predicting the following:

Feig's movie will be decently received by the public, but not even well enough to necessarily warrant a sequel. It'll be just another comedy film.

The "Dude-centric" Ghostbusters film will similarly be viewed as "just another comedy" assuming it gets made at all.

Bear in mind that a failure of Feig's comedy could possibly tank Sony's attempts to force this into becoming a franchise. I mean, yes, the source material strongly suggests that it could be made into a franchise, but to do that, you actually have to have a decent film to build off of. And while the original film is fantastic, my guess is modern audiences would sort of ho-hum it.

Ghostcorps...is this real?!

Ghostcorps is not the name of the movie, it's the name of the production company that's being created to produce this other Ghostbusters movie.

Personally, I'm rather surprised at the negative reaction, given all of the vitriol against the Kevin Feige version I would have thought that news of another Ghostbusters movie involving Reittman and Akroyd would be most welcome and well received. Wow, we're a finicky bunch here on the RPF aren't we?

My first reply to that post was going to be 'isn't fantastic four all white anyway to begin with ?' so no one would really care if they announced an all white fantastic four because that was how it originally was. but, I don't know much about the marvel universe, so I ignored it ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Ghostcorps is not the name of the movie, it's the name of the production company that's being created to produce this other Ghostbusters movie.

Personally, I'm rather surprised at the negative reaction, given all of the vitriol against the Kevin Feige version I would have thought that news of another Ghostbusters movie involving Reittman and Akroyd would be most welcome and well received. Wow, we're a finicky bunch here on the RPF aren't we?

that's because from what we can gather.....A)it's still set in this alternate universe done by feig. And B)the original actors/characters still would not exist in this universe. It's more of the same pandering. Don't like the all female reboot? OK, here's an all male reboot for you bitchers.

that's how it's coming off to me anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Feig's movie will be decently received by the public, but not even well enough to necessarily warrant a sequel. It'll be just another comedy film.
assuming IF it is a comedy film.... we don't know that yet. from all we've heard, they are planning to make it more of a horror.

Ghostcorps...is this real?!

Well it was part of the canon that takes place in the game written by Dan and okay'd by Ivan, they were going to open franchises in other cities. Sadly i'm not impressed with this thing so far by the sounds of it. It does come off as a cash grab and pandering to those who won't go see the all girls GB movie. This is one of those movies that fans aren't going to be happy with as a reboot no matter what. Honestly i'm not sure even a GB 3 would be well received these days since the original didn't have toilet humor in it which is all teenagers want to see in comedies these days.
I think at the end of the day the x-rated GB spoof is going to be a better movie than either of these.

I understand that its not the movie title. I'm just a little shocked, it seems they are getting way ahead of themselves especially if its a flop

I understand that its not the movie title. I'm just a little shocked, it seems they are getting way ahead of themselves especially if its a flop

it's hollywood. they see all the money marvel is making....and don't get that alot of thought and planning went in to make those, along with some great writers who understand what makes a hit movie. so, first DC tries to jump the gun and copy them, now sony is following suit.

you don't do a justice league movie or a batman versus superman cross over and try to cram everyone in with little to no setup! it just doesn't work that way! Do it the right way and build it up over the years...it's your own damn fault you didn't see the potential to begin with and take the time to plan it right.

Yeah, but you've also got to look at Sony's current bullpen...and realize that it's not looking good for particular sectors.

Right now, most of the studios want something that can create franchises. Franchises are safe. Franchises mean bulletproof brands that can survive a horrible film entry or two. Franchises sell tickets.

WB has its DC products.

Disney has its LucasFilm and Marvel subsidiaries.

Paramount has Transformers, Star Trek, and Mission Impossible, as well as the Terminator and several others.

Universal has the Jurassic Park series, Bourne, and the "Fast & Furious" series.

Sony has Bond, and Spider-Man...and that's about it, currently.

Sony is looking to launch a brand the same way WB is with its DC heroes. Sony wants to make a more reliable franchise than Bond, which only puts out a movie every 3-ish years. Sometimes longer. Spider-Man is being rebooted again and this time isn't even 100% Sony's, thanks to the MCU deal. So, Sony wants something that will put money squarely back in its pockets. (The Marvel deal with Spidey will line BOTH companies' pockets.)

Enter Ghostbusters.

Of the various licenses and such that Sony has, Ghostbusters is probably one of the more theoretically attractive ones, especially since they don't really have anyone else already in-house. So, yeah, they'll throw everything at Ghostbusters to make it work. All-female horror-tinged version! Dude-centric farts and boobs version! Dumbed-down cartoon version for the kids! Whatever. Sequels, video games, comic books, side-stories, whatever. The goal is to build a big ol' honkin' franchise that they can use to crank out a film every year or two or so, to ensure steady income.

Now, personally, I think Ghostbusters is risky. It's an old property that's beloved because of one film, and a mediocre sequel. The hardest of the hardcore fans are a wash. You won't make them happy, but they'll show up anyway because of the brand, as long as you market the **** out of it. Even if they complain, they'll still show up because they gots to know!!!! But the real question is how the rest of the world reacts. And to be honest, I think the rest of the world will give this a resounding shrug. They'll show up the way they do for any other movie, but this won't be a new major franchise other than because a corporation is pushing it as such. And I don't think that's somethign a corporation can effectively do -- you can't MAKE people bond with your franchise. But every bit of news that trickles out seems to suggest that's what Sony is doing -- trying to forcibly create a franchise and make the audience love it in some designed-by-focus-group approach. Or worse, even -- designed by clueless suits who just want a franchise.

To me, that's how all of this comes across. I mean, say what you will about the Transformers franchise -- and believe me, I've said plenty against it -- but at the very least they bothered to get Peter Cullen to voice Prime. The Ghostbusters franchise thus far seems more interested in literally the brand itself, and very little else. Now comes news of this "Dude-focused" film, and it just....rings hollow to me. The whole thing just seems like a crass ploy for cash rather than people trying to tell good stories. I can see why Bill Murray isn't interested.

Now, personally, I think Ghostbusters is risky. It's an old property that's beloved because of one film, and a mediocre sequel. The hardest of the hardcore fans are a wash. You won't make them happy, but they'll show up anyway because of the brand, as long as you market the **** out of it. Even if they complain, they'll still show up because they gots to know!!!! But the real question is how the rest of the world reacts. And to be honest, I think the rest of the world will give this a resounding shrug. They'll show up the way they do for any other movie, but this won't be a new major franchise other than because a corporation is pushing it as such. And I don't think that's somethign a corporation can effectively do -- you can't MAKE people bond with your franchise. But every bit of news that trickles out seems to suggest that's what Sony is doing -- trying to forcibly create a franchise and make the audience love it in some designed-by-focus-group approach. Or worse, even -- designed by clueless suits who just want a franchise.

To me, that's how all of this comes across. I mean, say what you will about the Transformers franchise -- and believe me, I've said plenty against it -- but at the very least they bothered to get Peter Cullen to voice Prime. The Ghostbusters franchise thus far seems more interested in literally the brand itself, and very little else. Now comes news of this "Dude-focused" film, and it just....rings hollow to me. The whole thing just seems like a crass ploy for cash rather than people trying to tell good stories. I can see why Bill Murray isn't interested.

pretty much. paramount doesn't care about turtles and just turned it into a cash grab with the lowest common demoninator. DC is just throwing darts at a wall and hoping something sticks for the biggest super heroe's ever, when they could just simply hire the B:TAS guys who know how to make things work. and now Sony is using some clueless executives and focus groups to ruin ghostbusters with the lowest common denominator.

you don't have anyone at these studios who CARES about doing the franchise right. and I hope audiences of today's youts are smart enough to see it as such and make these products fail miserably, but the success of turtles sadly shows that isn't always the case. and with regards to your arguments of fans, the only reason I went to see that is because no amount of boycotting would cause a sequel to get made. I about fell asleep halfway through from uncaring boredom.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back