Ghostbusters movie by Paul Feig

I heard about the film and simply said, "why?". To have An All Female Cast? Big deal! Women are funny. We know that. Give women good original content and let's get on with it already.

Paul Feig's fimlography of original comedies starring women in a row.

1. Bridesmaids (2011)
  2. The Heat (2013)
  3. Spy (2015)
I don't think it's the lack of original content for women that's your problem Feraud. I think it's because you haven't seen any. What do I have to back up such a claim? Your next statement.

I agree with your assessment of Melissa's films. For all of Hollywood's patting itself on the back about how progressively Liberal they are, they repeatedly cast her as a fat boor. It's insulting.

If you've seen any of Paul Feig's movies that feature Melissa McCarthy, you would know that Paul does not cast her simply to be the fat boar. The two obviously love working together and the amount of respect that Paul and Melissa have for each other is so great it's almost palpable. The only insulting party I see here is you. All you're saying is that McCarthy being cast in a movie automatically means she's playing the fat boar. Based on what? Watch any of those three films and say with a straight face that whenever Melissa McCarthy is on screen that the film constantly makes a joke out of her because she's overweight.

In fairness. Burton and Tarantino have more than a few hit films under their belts.

Feig had Bridesmaids. Meh, a broke clock works twice a day. Although, I did like Zombie High and Ski Patrol which remain indicative of his cinematic contributions.

Rotten Tomatoes!? Blah'...because they're held in such high esteem.

Look, time will tell on GB3. As far as I'm concerned, the entire movie hinges on them wrangling Murray for a cameo. They'll have to show the trailer in slow motion to get as much mileage out of his 5 second appearance as humanly possible. I bet it's all they'll show!~ :lol

Last edited:
Eh, one can complain about Rotten Tomatoes all you like, but it's an aggregator of opinion. I agree, there is no "perfect" metric to establish a relatively objective ranking system for movies. But Rotten Tomatoes and the like don't mean nothing.

Bridesmaids is tracking 75% on Metacritic (the same as Spy, actually). Based on Metacritic's aggregation, both fared better in opinion than: Avengers Age of Ultron, Furious 7, and Jurassic World. Higher than Channing Tatum's Magic Mike, 21 and 22 Jump Street, etc.

True enough Feig doesn't have a huge film resume, but it's not as if he's some sort of rank amateur. Both his writing and directing have been nominated for Emmy's.

Again, hardly the bar by which one should herald a success. Hell, "Norbit" was nominated for an Emmy...

Like I said, we'll see what comes of his efforts soon enough.

Cheers

Again, hardly the bar by which one should herald a success. Hell, "Norbit" was nominated for an Emmy...

Like I said, we'll see what comes of his efforts soon enough.

Cheers

Ok then, what bar is it that you propose we use?

And Norbit's Oscar nod was for makeup, but nice try at deflecting.

One can agree to disagree on subjective opinion, but not on objective fact.

If one doesn't find Bridesmaids funny, fair enough.

90% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, with a slightly lesser score of 76% Audience score.

Spy fared even better, 95% Fresh, 85% Audience score.

It's all well and good if you don't like these movies and don't think they're funny. But it's a whole other thing to say Feig, et al, haven't made movies that were critically and/or financially successful.

I don't like Tim Burton; but, I'm not going to sit here and say that his films don't have a cult following. I haven't seen a Tarantino film that I truly enjoyed; but, I'm likewise not going to pretend like he is not critically and financially successful because his works don't resonate with me.

It's a very common mistake, to equate quantity with quality, but a mistake nonetheless. If 6 million people buy your album it doesn't mean that even one of them loved it. Just that at least 6 million found it tolerable enough to buy.

Also, don't make assumptions, particularly when the thread you're in refutes them. I've already mentioned here that I did not only see both Bridesmaids and Heat (and thus contributed to their financial success whether I wanted to or not). I enjoyed Bridemaids, found Heat tiresome. And not ONE original moment in either movie. If you did, I can only assume that you don't watch comedies very often, because it was 100% dehydrated comedy, just add water from start to finish.

Now I happen to be someone who can enjoy that. As I said...I liked Bridesmaids. I can watch Romcom retreads in the same way that horror fans can enjoy 50 different versions of the same exact killing spree with slightly different mask on the Scooby-Doo villain. And lucky for me, there's at least 20 a year for me to enjoy. But that doesn't mean any of them are great cinema. In fact few of them are. I still watch them anyway, like entertainment junk food.

Ghostbusters was one of the best. Bridesmaids was not.

The only insulting party I see here is you. All you're saying is that McCarthy being cast in a movie automatically means she's playing the fat boar. Based on what? Watch any of those three films and say with a straight face that whenever Melissa McCarthy is on screen that the film constantly makes a joke out of her because she's overweight.

Do you actually watch any of the films you mentioned? Is English even a language you speak? I'm fairly certain that in at least Bridesmaids and Heat that was the actual name of her character in the working scripts.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. John Belushi, Chris Farley, Kevin James, Roseanne...even all the way back to the classics like Gleason and Costello, and even earlier in the stage shows that predated modern television and movies, it's been a solid comedic go-to character. It's a good stock choice, but you come off as well beyond naive in somehow managing the Herculean feat of thinking that it's in any way original at this point.

The real problem we come back to is...HOW is any of this original? They are women. And this is...1912 and we've never had that before? I get that in action movies and comic book movies there's a thing right now about wanting more female leads, but realistically, up until recently, women weren't in those audiences. Now they are, and in big numbers, and Hollywood is having some trouble playing catch up.

But comedy? If you're going to pretend that Feig is somehow breaking new ground with comedic females, then I suggest that there's a literal TON of comedy movies out there that you absolutely HAVE to see because you clearly don't know what you're missing. Not only has it been done, but it's been done WAY better than Feig in his best daydreams. I'd start in the 80's with films like 9 to 5, Heathers, Big Business and work your way through League of Their Own to newer films like Mean Girls, My Big fat Greek wedding, before moving back to the classics like Stage Door.

By the way, the odd couple theme (straight laced one, by the book, meets more relaxed, shoot from the hip, unconventional partner...sound familiar?) has not only been done, but done by men...then several female versions, then all the way around back to men again. It's a great concept and I can still enjoy it, but pretending that there's something original about it just because (gasp) you have women in comedy, is so far past the realm of naive that it ventures into the realm of...'are you even watching this in your native language?'

At this point, I'm more than a little sick of the BS sexist claims. To me: sexist is people who ignore the 80 damn years worth of female driven comedies as if nothing existed between 1912 and 2010.

TLDR version: I have no problem with rehashing the old stand-bys. Use the fat one for the more physical stuff, have one be by the book and the other the real play-by-their-own-rules type. Gender bending certain characters to keep it fresh (No guy wants to try to walk in John Gielgud's shoes, so try Hellen Mirren). But, I DO have a problem with pulling from the stock yard and claiming you did something original, and I have even more of a problem with people claiming it's somehow sexist to call them out on it. It's stock. You pulled from stock. Everyone does. Just own up to it. Don't pretend that everyone else is evil for noticing, that you're just pulling from stock.

Let me try another way, because I'm not sure I'm coming across very well.

About 10 years ago I had briefly had a job building scenery for a magic act. One of my favorite bits was the switch. I'm sure you've all seen some version of it:

The magician gets locked up. Chains, handcuffs, strait jacked, or even all of the above, then placed in a box, or tank, or something similar.

then the assistant lifts a curtain, counts to three, and throws it up above their head. The curtain then falls revealing that the the assistant is now gone, and the magician is free and has taken her place.

Finally, he opens the box to reveal the assistant is in there, sometimes even all tied up like the magician was.

Now I know this is a trick. Not only do I know it's a trick, but I know everything about how it was done. I BUILT the box myself. I helped teach the magician how to do it. There's nothing I'm going to learn from this.

But I watch anyway, to enjoy seeing the trick done well. And when it's done well I applaud and congratulate them. It's tough to really pull it off with todays skeptical audiences.

And if the magician were to say "I have a new idea! This time we'll lock the assistant up and I'll do the curtain!"

I'm not exactly going to notify the New York Times about our groundbreaking change. There's nothing wrong with it, but if that's all you've got, it doesn't even rate changing the posters. And if anyone were to say I'm sexist for saying so...they are wrong. Or they just haven't seen any magic shows before and still think Grandpa has their nose.

It's a very common mistake, to equate quantity with quality, but a mistake nonetheless. If 6 million people buy your album it doesn't mean that even one of them loved it. Just that at least 6 million found it tolerable enough to buy.

Umm, ok. But for the fact that I did not make a quantitative argument. You're claiming that Feig and the cast do not have a good track record.

Like I said, it's all well and good if you don't like his movies. But you can't sit there and say that his films weren't critically and financially successful. That's my point.

Also, don't make assumptions, particularly when the thread you're in refutes them. I've already mentioned here that I did not only see both Bridesmaids and Heat (and thus contributed to their financial success whether I wanted to or not). I enjoyed Bridemaids, found Heat tiresome. And not ONE original moment in either movie. If you did, I can only assume that you don't watch comedies very often, because it was 100% dehydrated comedy, just add water from start to finish.

Where did I make any assumptions about your opinion of his films? I didn't. None of what I wrote was or is meant in any way to reflect or otherwise comment on your personal opinion of the film. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm making the point that personal opinions (which are inherently subjective) don't matter all that much on an individual basis, and are certainly no basis for judging the success or quality of a film.

TLDR version: I have no problem with rehashing the old stand-bys. Use the fat one for the more physical stuff, have one be by the book and the other the real play-by-their-own-rules type. Gender bending certain characters to keep it fresh (No guy wants to try to walk in John Gielgud's shoes, so try Hellen Mirren). But, I DO have a problem with pulling from the stock yard and claiming you did something original, and I have even more of a problem with people claiming it's somehow sexist to call them out on it. It's stock. You pulled from stock. Everyone does. Just own up to it. Don't pretend that everyone else is evil for noticing, that you're just pulling from stock.

For as much as everyone else has decried how their arguments are getting taken out of context, it's really ironic for you to pull out the strawman here of saying that the root of the "sexism" controversy was people pointing out that the film was "unoriginal." That's not why people were saying the reaction to the film was sexist.

I think this thread has gone beyond any semblance of meaningful discussion. No matter what kind of news comes out of this movie, someone is always going to scrape the bottom of the barrel looking for ANY excuse to talk down on this movie, it's director, or anyone willing to give it a chance. I've been through a lot of movie discussion threads but I've never seen any that are this toxic and unwelcoming. For those who hate this movie with a passion, I understand why, but I don't think this harsh judgement is warrented. You've also convinced me that there is nothing to be said that will ever change your perspective on how you feel about this movie, so I'll try not to persuade you otherwise. I just want to talk about this movie and how it's developing. I like Paul Fieg, I like Melissa McCarthy and I like Ghostbusters. I want to see this film.

I'd daresay I'm downright excited for this movie, Jeyl.

I think Kate McKinnon is hilarious and one of the best cast members on SNL. I think Kristen Wiig is fantastic and has great range as an actor. I think Leslie Jones has had some of the funniest stuff on SNL as well.

Umm, ok. But for the fact that I did not make a quantitative argument. You're claiming that Feig and the cast do not have a good track record.

Like I said, it's all well and good if you don't like his movies. But you can't sit there and say that his films weren't critically and financially successful. That's my point.

It's a fair point. They were financially successful. Makes money =/= great. The words "good" and "great" ARE subjective.

Where did I make any assumptions about your opinion of his films? I didn't. None of what I wrote was or is meant in any way to reflect or otherwise comment on your personal opinion of the film. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm making the point that personal opinions (which are inherently subjective) don't matter all that much on an individual basis, and are certainly no basis for judging the success or quality of a film.

I can accept this. I can also disagree. It's my belief that personal opinions are the ONLY meaningful standard for judging art. I think you deprive yourself if you base your appreciation on how many others agree.

For as much as everyone else has decried how their arguments are getting taken out of context, it's really ironic for you to pull out the strawman here of saying that the root of the "sexism" controversy was people pointing out that the film was "unoriginal." That's not why people were saying the reaction to the film was sexist.

I don't think it's a straw man. That very argument, using those exact words has gone on for 20 pages here. Almost every thread in this forum contains people poo-pooing an upcoming idea. If there's ever been universal agreement I missed it. This is the only one I've been in where nefarious motives where assigned to it.

edit: I feel like I should say here...I'm kind of enjoying the discussion for it's own sake. If I'm pissing you off I apologize, and I'll stop.

Last edited:
It's a fair point. They were financially successful. Makes money =/= great. The words "good" and "great" ARE subjective.

Ok, and?

You wanted to "agree to disagree" to the statement that Feig and the cast had a "good track record."

I argued that based on reviews and box office numbers, that it is therefore true that Feig and the cast have a "good track record."

That's the point I'm making.

I can accept this. I can also disagree. It's my belief that personal opinions are the ONLY meaningful standard for judging art. I think you deprive yourself if you base your appreciation on how many others agree.

If your takeaway was that I base my appreciation on how many other people agree with me, I misspoke; you misunderstood; or some combination of both.

At some point you have to be able to make a generalized statement about an individual film without going into the minutiae of "good vs great."

I'd say that Ghostbusters is a pretty well liked movie.

I'd also say that Bridesmaids is as well.

I don't think it's a straw man. That very argument, using those exact words has gone on for 20 pages here. Almost every thread in this forum contains people poo-pooing an upcoming idea. If there's ever been universal agreement I missed it. This is the only one I've been in where nefarious motives where assigned to it.

Lol...interesting edit here.

You're probably reading those exact words from me. Because most of this thread has been a bunch of guys gladhanding themselves about how not sexist they were being.

But fine, it's very simple to make this point:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/6105...ughtful-responses-to-put-each-concern-to-rest

http://www.themarysue.com/ghostbusters-sexist-complaints-garbage/

I'm not making a comment on the validity of the feminist commentary here. But this merely illustrates that the problem was not simply that women got upset because some people said the movie wasn't original. People got upset because lots of folks made a bunch of stupid comments online.

edit: I feel like I should say here...I'm kind of enjoying the discussion for it's own sake. If I'm pissing you off I apologize, and I'll stop.

I'm an INTJ. I take very little personally and enjoy the discussion.

Well from the first pics of this I'm waiting for it to come to cable.

In fairness, I don't think you can fully judge a film based on still photos taken while shooting is underway.

Examples:

When X-men first came out, I was dismissive of the "motocross racers" costumes. (not that spandex would've worked better, of course...) I ended up loving the film.

Similar story for X-Men First Class where the pre-release set shots of January Jones in her white fur pillbox hat made me roll my eyes.

And again for the baggy costume and goofy motorcycles seen in the pre-release set shots from Captain America: The First Avenger.

Aaaand again for the look of Dredd in pre-release stills and such.

Aaaaaaaaaand again with pre-release shots of Grant Gustin running around in the Flash suit. That's become one of my favorite TV shows, but I was underwhelmed by my first views of the costume.

In each case, I ended up loving the films, and often feeling like they really nailed the "feel" of the source material even if 100% visual fidelity wasn't maintained.

Now, in other cases, you can see where the design choices are just...weird. The Suicide Squad stuff...I mean, maybe I'll end up pleasantly surprised again, but that just looks really awful at the moment with everyone having tattoos and looking like they need a shower. But even there, I allow for the possibility of a surprisingly enjoyable film. I'd be more concerned with plot points or with visuals that suggest plot decisions (e.g. the Joker's tattoos and general look) that make me think the film will suck.

http://io9.com/the-new-ghostbusters-costumes-have-been-revealed-1714782442

1319101701017224260.jpg

Yep. The only way I'll ever truly like this movie is if it turned out to be an alternate universe. Until then I have zero level of excitement or anticipation toward seeing this film. It just all seems to feel like knockoff bootlegs from some other world.

The new pack looks like an upside-down RGB cartoon pack. The thrower looks like it might be interesting. I like the cable. The pack itself is a damn lazy replacement for one of the most beautiful, intricate, well-conceived props of all time...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back