Ghostbusters: Afterlife

So, y'all may not know, not too long ago, Paul Feig, the director of the 2016 Ghostbusters film replied to a post about Sony's Ultimate Ghostbusters box set, which included the two original films and Afterlife, along with some extra stuff. He appeared to be upset at the fact that his film wasn't included in the box set.

Um … @SonyPictures, I know this must be a mistake. We do have a lot of fans and Bill, Dan and Ernie were in it and it won the Kids Choice Award for Best Feature Film the year it came out. So, I guess this was just an oversight? #weareallghostbusters

Now, when he posted that, I have stated, "The Kids Choice Award also chose The Weeknd's I Can't Feel My Face, a song about doing drugs and having sex, as their choice for the best song. Hardly counts as a selling point for Feig's film." However, Sony has decided to give into his demands. Thanks to Bloody Disgusting, we got the real punchline from Sony.

Lastly, before we dig into the full extra feature breakdown, it’s worth noting that Sony Home Entertainment has made a last-minute decision to include a Digital Download of Paul Feig’s Ghostbusters (2016). As of this writing, there is no physical component.

You can read more about the Ultimate Collection at the Bloody Disgusting Article: Jam-Packed ‘Ghostbusters’ Ultimate Collection Boasts Rare 114-Minute “Preview Cut” of Original Film Plus Much More New Footage!!

Make of this whole thing what you will. I just found it funny.

Last edited:
Paul... Yours in an AU. Accept it. Afterlife is a direct follow-on to the original 1984 film and its 1989 sequel (and, I will continue to argue, the video game set shortly after). Yours is "inspired by" at best. Bill, Dan, and Ernie were in it, but not as Peter, Ray, and Winston. It has no place in a box set encompassing that fictional setting. The Real Ghostbusters, on the other hand... ;)

Paul... Yours in an AU. Accept it. Afterlife is a direct follow-on to the original 1984 film and its 1989 sequel (and, I will continue to argue, the video game set shortly after). Yours is "inspired by" at best. Bill, Dan, and Ernie were in it, but not as Peter, Ray, and Winston. It has no place in a box set encompassing that fictional setting. The Real Ghostbusters, on the other hand... ;)

TRG isn't even featured in the box set, nor is Extreme Ghostbusters. You don't hear the people who made them jumping on Twitter and complain about not being included on it.

So did walmart just mark up the big box set or did I miss a sale? I read WM had it at $89 & I see it's at $145 today.

I’m amazed Sony folded…
But the real kicker is that they technically included the film in the box set. It's not a physical disc. From what I've been told, Feig's not gonna get revenues from the sale of the box set because the film is only included digitally while the other films will have both a hard copy and digital release (not sure how true the "no revenue from digital" is, but if it is, it's the only time I can actually agree with it). He asked for it to be included, Sony did, and not in the way that he wanted. Essentially, from what I've understood, for Feig, it's a "be careful what you wish for" moment. XD

Also, I noticed something odd about Feig. After the 2016 film's release, he said it was the worst filmmaking experience he ever went through. Then, he went on to say that he'd love to do a sequel. PICK A DAMN LANE DUDE!

But the real kicker is that they technically included the film in the box set. It's not a physical disc. From what I've been told, Feig's not gonna get revenues from the sale of the box set because the film is only included digitally while the other films will have both a hard copy and digital release (not sure how true the "no revenue from digital" is, but if it is, it's the only time I can actually agree with it). He asked for it to be included, Sony did, and not in the way that he wanted. Essentially, from what I've understood, for Feig, it's a "be careful what you wish for" moment. XD

Also, I noticed something odd about Feig. After the 2016 film's release, he said it was the worst filmmaking experience he ever went through. Then, he went on to say that he'd love to do a sequel. PICK A DAMN LANE DUDE!
I also read it was a digital download

I had no idea he didn’t get any money from the digital downloads, I laughed when I read that just now lol

I feel like Paul Feig’s probably a nice enough guy, and I do feel for him that he feels left out, but! Ghostbusters 2016, as pointed out above, doesn’t really fit in the context of the box set. It would be like buying a boxed set of, say, the Indiana Jones films, but it also came with one episode of the TV show. Or a set of the Original Trilogy but it also came with a copy of the Clone Wars film. Secondly, as nice as he probably is, he’s not a director. He’s a guy who calls action while comedians well-known for their ad-libbing and wit do their thing. That’s kind of why 2016 is so atrocious—it’s just like six people screaming over each other trying to get the funniest non-sequitur out. I can understand feeling rightfully upset if there were like a “definitive GhostCorps™ Universe boxed set” that had like the whole cartoon and all the other films and not 2016, but that’s not the case.

Ghostbusters 2016, as pointed out above, doesn’t really fit in the context of the box set. It would be like buying a boxed set of, say, the Indiana Jones films, but it also came with one episode of the TV show. Or a set of the Original Trilogy but it also came with a copy of the Clone Wars film.
But The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is supposed to be part of the movie universe, I thought. And Clone Wars is (ostensibly) part of the same continuity as the OT. GB'16 in a box with the rest would be more like an OT BSG box set with the pilot of the reimagined series included.

But The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles is supposed to be part of the movie universe, I thought. And Clone Wars is (ostensibly) part of the same continuity as the OT. GB'16 in a box with the rest would be more like an OT BSG box set with the pilot of the reimagined series included.
My point is, you could make an argument for the inclusion of those things. But they feel off nonetheless. Your example is more apt, of course, but the idea of including something with only a tenuous relationship at best to the other entries and dubious quality is still there, which is why I chose the examples I did.

I'm surprised Sony felt the need to cave on this one. Buyers don't expect a boxed set to have multiple continuities in it.
Maybe easier to coax the buyer into purchasing it

“Oh it even comes with one more digital download movie.. 145 bucks, that’s not too bad”

Dunno

My point is, you could make an argument for the inclusion of those things. But they feel off nonetheless. Your example is more apt, of course, but the idea of including something with only a tenuous relationship at best to the other entries and dubious quality is still there, which is why I chose the examples I did.
I think that a better example would be the inclusion of the Holiday Special or one of the earlier animated series like Droids or the Ewok animated series, or Ewoks: The Battle for Endor.

Looks like Midnight Edge has confirmed the "no pay for digital release" detail in this video. But, he suggests that ATC was always intended to be available digitally as a bonus anyway. If that's the case and true, Feig has more egg on his face than previously thought. XD

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back