Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feig has gone bye bye, Reitman. What have you got left?

it's just sad how they use young girls as a measure of success for this crummy film. almost like a shield. 'you can't make fun of it because it inspired a generation of young women'.
sigh...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...s-movie-a-success_us_57a22ff1e4b0104052a0c0a5

>>>
“It’s such a validation for the years of false controversy,” he said.>>>

95% of which sony themselves created. and die hard gb fans helped spread. sigh. hollywood really is that delusional.

So I guess the definition of success is-
- reboot toys not selling and going on clearance only three weeks since put out and a few weeks before the film comes out.
Die Hard Ghostbuster fan boys sending pictures of their daughters in gear, who probably would be in gear anyway even if this movie never existed.
a movie that still hasn't made it's budget back domestically, and has gotten nowhere NEAR the 400 million mark. never mind that a small percentage of what HAS been earned, still has to go to the rights holders (Aykroyd, reitman and the ramis estate).
A movie that has been under controversy and not wanted since it was announced...
plague of on set problems since day one..
and a movie that can only survive by creating false click bait 'feel good' controversy.

yeah, that's a success by hollywood standards.
I really am getting too old and grumpy for this world..

Feig has gone bye bye, Reitman. What have you got left?

it's just sad how they use young girls as a measure of success for this crummy film. almost like a shield. 'you can't make fun of it because it inspired a generation of young women'.
sigh...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...s-movie-a-success_us_57a22ff1e4b0104052a0c0a5

>>>
“It’s such a validation for the years of false controversy,” he said.>>>

95% of which sony themselves created. and die hard gb fans helped spread. sigh. hollywood really is that delusional.

So I guess the definition of success is-
- reboot toys not selling and going on clearance only three weeks since put out and a few weeks before the film comes out.
Die Hard Ghostbuster fan boys sending pictures of their daughters in gear, who probably would be in gear anyway even if this movie never existed.
a movie that still hasn't made it's budget back domestically, and has gotten nowhere NEAR the 400 million mark. never mind that a small percentage of what HAS been earned, still has to go to the rights holders (Aykroyd, reitman and the ramis estate).
A movie that has been under controversy and not wanted since it was announced...
plague of on set problems since day one..
and a movie that can only survive by creating false click bait 'feel good' controversy.

yeah, that's a success by hollywood standards.
I really am getting too old and grumpy for this world..
Feig makes it looks like there weren't any GB fan girls before his stupid reboot. There have been girls and women dressing up in GB gear long before Feig ever stepped on the Hollywood scene.

yep, it already was a happy community, regardless of gender (as feig likes to put it).... at least before feig came along and stirred things up thinking it was still 1950.

Now with Splash and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels getting crappy gender switched remakes.....
sigh.

What makes Splash weird is that it's a female led role getting changed into a male led one. i don't like that anymore than the reverse!

If a majority of reviewers and people who watched it enjoyed it how did they drop the ball? Not making enough money is an entirely different issue.

Would you be saying that right now if the movie had made $700 mil?

Or would you be treating the box office earnings as conversation-ending evidence that the reboot was a success?

The movie was a weak performer on its own steam. And because much of the GB fanbase doubted (or outright disliked) the movie before they saw it, "its own steam" was all it had to work with. For a well-loved franchise being rebooted that constitutes a fouled up job right there.

Feig unnecessarily drove off tens of millions of ticket sales that should have been fish-in-the-barrel. The general consensus (public & critics alike) is that the movie is not terrible but Feig's new 'spin' on GB didn't outweigh what it was lacking.

Feig makes it looks like there weren't any GB fan girls before his stupid reboot. There have been girls and women dressing up in GB gear long before Feig ever stepped on the Hollywood scene.

This.

This, this this.

It seems like Feig is about one strong comment away from stepping over the line here (and insulting a lot of pre-existing female GB fans). If he hasn't overstepped it already.

Has anyone seen the Red Letter Media review?

I think they don't really like the film......warning,...loads of swear words,.....& slurred speach near the end

& Scientist man analysis:

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly on-topic, I tried out the GB: Dimensions "Hyper Reality" VR attraction at Madame Tussauds in NYC. Super fun! The tech is really crazy and an absolute riot to play. The game is sort of a mix of GB16 and the original movie. Random GB/GB2/GB16 soundtrack songs were blasting in the lobby, with GB stuff plastered everywhere. Super fun time! The wait to get in to the GB attraction was pretty long-- around an hour. Everyone seemed to be having a blast!

My only complaint-- the techs keeping up with the gear kept talking about charging the computer batteries. They missed the perfect "proton charging" opportunity. All of the other staff was super in character!

If you're in NYC with some time to kill, I definitely recommend checking it out.

Has anyone seen the Red Letter Media review?

I think they don't really like the film......warning,...loads of swear words,.....& slurred speach near the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEKreyTkvA

& Scientist man analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWROBiX1eSc

J

yeah I posted earlier and gotta promote some more... it's so friggin good.

Do I agree? On some points yes, others, no... but the great thing about these guys is they back up everything they say... don't just regurgitate thoughts.

And I love that they can't be skewed. Mike liked Jurassic World and admitted it... he loved TFA which everyone was waiting for him to trash - I mean they made the famous prequel vids!

Even in the GB16 review they sited how JJ did it right... how it is possible to soft reboot and reintroduce a brand.

I may have to see this movie again. I don't want to disappoint my would-be-girlfriend, but she's willing to pay after I made it clear I would not.

Ultimately the continuing conversation about this film cooks down to one question. Do you want to see what you love, live on... or fade into oblivion? Selfishly, I am glad to see I will finally get an accurate GB1 patch from Anovos, and I've already hoarded my share of ECTO Cooler. I'm not sure these items would be available without this reboot.

But Scientist Man from RedLetterMedia makes some interesting math points. Jay sums it up at the end of their review pretty, 'congrats Internet, you wasted your time debating nothing.' Sony did a great job mitigating the overwhelming dislike with misdirection, and the media fell for it.

This movie will be forgotten, and no one I have encountered personally who liked it can be specific about what they thought was funny. I guess I'm not drinking or smoking enough at the movie theater.

I still have hope for the long-term of the franchise itself. But what a shame, another missed opportunity. Another lesson in what not to do, and hopefully after this Hollywood won't ever remake BTTF.

yep, it already was a happy community, regardless of gender (as feig likes to put it).... at least before feig came along and stirred things up thinking it was still 1950.

Now with Splash and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels getting crappy gender switched remakes.....
sigh.

What makes Splash weird is that it's a female led role getting changed into a male led one. i don't like that anymore than the reverse!
Neil, maybe they will have two male leads in the new Splash. That should satisfy all the SJWs.

Anyhow, itlooks like Suicide Squad will take in enough or more money in one weekend than Feigbusters has made in four weekends domestically.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4213&p=.htm

To be fair, the protagonist of Splash was not Darryl Hanna's Mermaid, but Tom Hanks' whoever-he-was. The lead is the role being gender-swapped from male to female, and the love interest is doing the opposite. This fits the recent pattern more than it might seem at first glance. That said, it doesn't matter what they do with it - it's Splash, not Ghostbusters. People may have enjoyed it on some level but I can't imagine it's precious to anyone.

To be fair, the protagonist of Splash was not Darryl Hanna's Mermaid, but Tom Hanks' whoever-he-was. The lead is the role being gender-swapped from male to female, and the love interest is doing the opposite. This fits the recent pattern more than it might seem at first glance. That said, it doesn't matter what they do with it - it's Splash, not Ghostbusters. People may have enjoyed it on some level but I can't imagine it's precious to anyone.

Isn´t that the movie with Jason Momoa you guys are talking about? Liquidma ... no, wait ... Fluidma ... no ... oh yes, Aquaman !!!

you never know what will inspire someone.

a Kid could be inspired by something as crazy as Spaced Invaders, for instance.

Maybe Splash could be the female version of feigbusters, where lots more ladies will be complaining about the switch. Although considering it's with a typical muscle like guy, i somehow doubt it :)

Huh? It is ok for someone to get fired because a PORTION of fans don't like what was put out there? Ok, I guess we know where the line is now.

All I said was that they were "saying" they should be fired, as in, ya know, expressing their opinion. Is Feig REALLY going to get fired from Sony? Of course not. Will he not be allowed to have another tentpole franchise and 144 million dollar check? Possibly. And I think thats how it should be. At your job karmajay, if you screw up, do you get promoted? Or when you do screw up, do you get reprimanded and you get the jobs that are relegated to your strengths? This shouldnt be any different.

And it wasnt a portion. As we have discussed, this movie isnt even going to make its budget back. Why? Cause it sucks and nobody is seeing it. Thats why.

If a majority of reviewers and people who watched it enjoyed it how did they drop the ball? Not making enough money is an entirely different issue.

Ah whatever this topic is toast, I'm going to participate in another thread where people think movies should only cater to super fans.

Youre really reaching there with that statement. Kind of sad that you had to go there, but hey. When thats all there is left to do, I guess I understand. :facepalm

The idea with a merman as opposed to a mermaid in Splash is kind of simple, a man that doesnt think with his little soldier. So now you have a romcom targeting the date crowd and lonely women demographics. It a remake as the studio already owns the property and can pump out garbage like this quickly in house and on budget for another ungodly amount of $$$ then claim no profits until it triples its investment. I wish Paul Hernandez was still around, Jetbeetle would have a field day with these "films".

I wish Paul Hernandez was still around, Jetbeetle would have a field day with these "films".
His industry commentary was always hilarious to read! I remember him having some pretty harsh things to say about the Eisenberg/Stupnitsky GB3 sequel scripts he read back in the day.

so, class, to recap.

Suicide Squad.. a movie pretty much all the critics agree is terrible (and almost seem to come out in full force for not being aloud to say that about feigbusters, or fearful of saying it for feigbusters) earned $180 million (is that domestic, or world wide?)

Feigbusters has been out for 3.2 weeks and still hasn't gotten to $110 million last I checked.

When will everyone admit that it was a flop? or are a we not allowed to compare feigbusters to a batman movie?

---
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...her-classic-movie_us_57a2575ae4b0e1aac9149f7a

this might be part new, part retread of a previous article, but the headline is interesting :)

Last edited:

Ah whatever this topic is toast, I'm going to participate in another thread where people think movies should only cater to super fans.
Majority may be an assumption on your part. There are a lot of people that saw that crappy reboot and did not like it. But I think the operative words are "people who watched it".

Scenario One: Sony dropped the ball by making an all female team, thereby excluding the large young male demographic, which is a pretty large movie going demographic. Maybe Sony realized there mistake. Why else did they make those stupid NBA commercials with all male GBs. But by then it was already too late.

Scenario Two: Thanks to Feig and Sony and their stupid agenda, the fandom became divided as a result. So only half of the GB diehards went to see the reboot or took their families and friends to see the reboot.

Scenario Three: Ghostbusters just isn't that big anymore. Sony thought they had something like Star Wars or Marvel. But they were proven wrong.

Yeah, a majority doesn't think it was really solid. The thing the Suicide Squad tomato-haters is really getting wrong is that the unscientific tomatometer aggregation formula leans positive due to its binary nature. A review which says it's "okay" is counted towards the "Fresh" rating. It takes a review calling it flat-out bad to rate it in the "Rotten" column.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back