Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second tier? As a member of a GB franchise in Washington DC, I tend to agree with you. When we attend events where the 501st and RL are there, or the East Coast Acengers, us GBs get treated like the second act. I have seen it first hand. Just don't tell the die hards on GBFans.com. They all think GB is equal to SW, Marvel, DC and such.

I enjoyed the reboot and I post at GBFans. Calling GB second tier is harsh-- the name implies less quality/coolness. GB as a franchise and fanbase isn't larger than SW or Marvel. However, I think GB is on the same level of cultural significance as SW/Marvel.

Ok, so, let's unpack something really quickly: "cultural significance."

I tend to think that Star Wars has IMMENSE cultural significance and is in a class of its own. Star Wars basically defined "summer blockbuster" and created a new business model for film studios. It revolutionized filmmaking techniques with respect to special effects. It spawned innumerable imitators. You can find its fingerprints on television and in other films as wide-reaching as James Bond (e.g. Moonraker's space battle). Moreover, Star Wars spawned a generation of filmmakers who are basically chasing that same high they had as kids and making their own films. And it fundamentally altered how science fiction stories set in space, with spaceships and such, are told.

What's more, Star Wars provides a cultural touchstone that is global. Everyone, everywhere knows what you're talking about if you reference it, even if they've never seen it. If you say "Use the Force, Luke" -- even if you say it in an incorrect Darth Vader voice -- people just know what you mean. Star Wars as a cultural touchstone in that sense transcends the story itself from which the touchstone derives.

Ghostbusters, while a cracking good comedy that blends genres, was just a fun 80s film. It had a mediocre sequel, a cartoon that you'd never know about unless you're somewhere between the ages of 30 and 40, another cartoon I've literally never seen, and a toyline that I dimly remember my younger cousins playing with. Ghostbusters is not referenced universally. Ghostbusters did not fundamentally alter the cinematic landscape FOREVER. Ghostbusters is just...a really well-made 80s sci-fi/comedy film. It had the potential to be a bit bigger than that, but to put it on the same level as Star Wars in terms of cultural significance is absurd, no matter how much you may personally like it.

HOWEVER

A lot of that depends on what one means by "cultural significance." To me, it means whether something is universally recognized, whether it shaped culture, whether it impacted culture, whether it changed culture or became part of the culture beyond itself. In my opinion, Ghostbusters has about the same cultural significance as, say, Caddyshack, Animal House, or Anchorman. It's an always-entertaining view. It's a classic comedy. It's something that a generation of people know pretty well and can reference here and there with the odd quote.

But it's not like Ghostbusters had a much wider ripple effect beyond that, outside of the hardcore fanbase of the film itself. Someone who has never seen Ghostbusters will not instantly "get" the reference to "Dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!" if you say that line. I mean, they may laugh because the line's funny even out of context (such was the strength of the humor in the film), but they won't be like
XS5LK.gif

None of this is to say that Ghostbusters '84 isn't a terrific movie. It is! It absolutely is. But it definitely isn't Star Wars in terms of cultural significance, at least the way I define the term.

about the only cultural significance it really has is the theme song, 'I've been slimed', and Slimer.

maybe the packs.

it has such a big fan base, most people don't even know extreme ghostbusters even happened :rolleyes.

... However, I think GB is on the same level of cultural significance as SW/Marvel.

Not by a long shot. Nothing compares to Star Wars. Marvel (the company) once was saved because of Star Wars (the comic books made loads of money for Marvel), for example. Star Wars has influenced at least two generations by now and is referrenced in so many ways that make your head spin. GB I love, but real cultural influence? I think not. Or is there a special GB greeting, are GB catch phrases used on a daily basis in several languages?

something i saw on imdb that was interesting if true..

supposedly the longer a movie is in theaters, the less goes to the studios?

the movie could be making more, but sony is getting less share.

doesn't seem to make alot of sense, but interesting..

Very very well said Osborn!
Thank Chuck!

Not by a long shot. Nothing compares to Star Wars. Marvel (the company) once was saved because of Star Wars (the comic books made loads of money for Marvel), for example. Star Wars has influenced at least two generations by now and is referrenced in so many ways that make your head spin. GB I love, but real cultural influence? I think not. Or is there a special GB greeting, are GB catch phrases used on a daily basis in several languages?

Nobody's listing "Ghostbuster" on their census form as their religion...

Again, I was referring to widespread cultural relevance amongst the general pop-- not the fandom. Yes, SW fandom is way larger than GB. This is obvious. Flash the GB logo to most anyone ages 25-75, and chances are very high they'll know exactly what it is. How many poor landscapers wearing leaf blowers on their back have to hear "hurf, durf, GHOSTBUSTERS!"? The imagery is imbued within our society.

Of course, cultural significance isn't something that's easily measured. Unless I"m missing something, I can't think of any usable metrics aside from large-scale polling.

On a more fun topic, here's a fun crew shirt with cartoons of the pesky canine Mr. M. Hat, drawn by the four new GBs. I really dig McKinnon's illustration style!

v0ZPn3W.jpg

I'm not saying it has zero cultural significance. Obviously it has some. But to compare it to Star Wars is like comparing Lake Michigan to the Pacific Ocean. Sure, one's a REALLY BIG LAKE, but...it's just a lake, and you're comparing it to an ocean. Obviously, people know about and recognize Ghostbusters stuff. It's not as if it's unheard of.

But Star Wars is just so, so much bigger and more important by pretty much any measure you want to point to.

...and ya see?! Neil finally admitted to hearing evil fairy tale creatures in his head. I can kinda understand his rambling conspiracies now. @Snikt and @goldenhawk what's your excuse? :lol

Wow-- aggressive much? ...and @Snikt, aren't you the one that was whining about snark in this thread? It feels good, doesn't it? Admit it-- snark feels good.

You guys are confusing fandom/popularity with cultural significance. I thought that might be painfully evident by how I worded by post, separating the two. Toy events, fandom size, merch sales, BO takes-- of course GB isn't on par with the Disney properties. They're juggernauts. Cultural significance-- the logo being one of the most recognizable in the world, along with the name, tagline, the song, iconography being engrained in the general pop of our society, etc., GB has had that in spades since 1984.

To head you both off at the pass: No, cultural significance doesn't equal a money printing machine. In that regards, it's a head start on marketing, but not every title in cinemas or in the merch marketplace that has cultural significance will sell legendary numbers. There have been countless examples of this throughout the decades.

As an entertainment powerhouse, Marvel was all but dead until Sony's SPIDER-MAN franchise, sparked by Fox's X-Men. Even then, it took until the IRON MAN movie and the Disney acquisition to become significant.

Those are just my opinions, though. Go ahead, generalize me and tell me how my opinion is wrong-- I know it's coming. :lol

Dude Im not even being snarky, I was just outright shocked at what you said. "The logo being the most recognizable in the world, iconography blah blah" Is there a gas leak in your house? There is no way, that you can actually believe what you are saying. I think you are trolling us good sir :lol Hell, I bet there are kids in china who dont even know who the Ghostbusters are. I bet your ass though there is a kid in the plains of Serengeti that knows who Darth Vader and Spider man are. The idea that GB is "culturally more significant" is Blasphemous.

Is there a Ghostbusters theme park that Im not aware of?

Solo4114 explained it WAY more eloquently that I could have, and way better too. Just read what he said, then re-read it. Then print it out, and read it again. :D

Last edited:
I'm not saying it has zero cultural significance. Obviously it has some. But to compare it to Star Wars is like comparing Lake Michigan to the Pacific Ocean. Sure, one's a REALLY BIG LAKE, but...it's just a lake, and you're comparing it to an ocean. Obviously, people know about and recognize Ghostbusters stuff. It's not as if it's unheard of.

But Star Wars is just so, so much bigger and more important by pretty much any measure you want to point to.

Its ok Solo4114, your explanation was perfect, and he obviously knows you beat him, hence the stupid picture/deflect of the T-shirt. Im surprised more people didnt give him crap, especially on this forum. Take a look at this forum. How many Ghostbuster projects are there vs Marvel AND Star Wars? :lol

I don't think it's a question of who "beat" whom, really. I mean, I'm not saying that Ghostbusters has no significance. It obviously does. It still resonates with people, it's still a well regarded film, and it's still fairly widely recognizable.

But it's nowhere near at the level of Star Wars. Now, that's more because Star Wars itself was, in cultural terms, like the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs. It's the kind of thing that we haven't ever seen again, and likely won't. Star Wars changed movie making and was a worldwide phenomenon that persists to this day. It revolutionized filmmaking, the special effects industry within it, merchandising from films, etc. It became a new cultural mythology. It affected generations of storytellers and would-be storytellers. It permeates global culture in ways that, arguably, nothing else has done since. It is simply an incredibly important film for a ton of reasons. None of that is to diminish Ghostbusters. It's just on a different level from Star Wars. We can love them both. We can even love them equally or love Ghostbusters more. But objectively speaking, Star Wars has way more cultural significance.

There is no way, that you can actually believe what you are saying. I think you are trolling us good sir :lol

It's not just here. the sometimes it seems like alot of GB fandom has mastered the art of conversation mis direction and twisting. one person i know was the first place I encountered it. I told him the trailer looked terrible, he told me i couldn't judge it until i saw other paul feig movies. one or two movie viewings later proved that was bull.

That was the first of a few. the most spectacular of oddities coming from twitter.

it's like some of the fandom can't answer a question honestly if the answer is something they don't want to admit to themselves. and some of the more....extreme answers of this come from people who have worked in projects related to ghostbusters in the past. i'm willing to let it slide a bit if i know they really are a fan, and not just a spur of the moment SJW though...but it is a bit weird.

I don't really run into this type of talk in other fandoms.

More proof i'm getting too old for this world...
http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2016/...onal-anthem-while-live-tweeting-the-olympics/

that's considered good audio reporting?

I don't think it's a question of who "beat" whom, really. I mean, I'm not saying that Ghostbusters has no significance. It obviously does. It still resonates with people, it's still a well regarded film, and it's still fairly widely recognizable.
Although we have differences in opinion, Solo4114 seems to see where I'm coming from. @Snikt, not so much. I seem to have touched a nerve! :wacko

The competitive thought that seems to permeate these boards of conversation vs conversation is really odd. Debates, yes-- football games, no. I'm glad at least a somewhat entertaining topic of discussion has popped up. The over-generalizations being bandied about earlier was getting a bit old.

Dude Im not even being snarky, I was just outright shocked at what you said. "The logo being the most recognizable in the world, iconography blah blah" Is there a gas leak in your house? There is no way, that you can actually believe what you are saying. I think you are trolling us good sir :lol Hell, I bet there are kids in china who dont even know who the Ghostbusters are. I bet your ass though there is a kid in the plains of Serengeti that knows who Darth Vader and Spider man are. The idea that GB is "culturally more significant" is Blasphemous.

Is there a Ghostbusters theme park that Im not aware of?
There's actually one being built in Dubai! I could agree with you on China, as the original films/toons were never released there.

...and where did I say that GB is "culturally more significant" than SW or Marvel? You're putting words in my mouth there, dude. My original statement was that it was they were about on the same level of cultural relevance. I could see a lot of posters here thinking SW is a huge stretch-- but getting down to the nitty gritty, the brand advantages that GB has are striking.

...and absolutely the GB logo is rated as one of the most recognizable. I don't have time to wrangle up the studies, so I'll let this blurb from the New York Times speak for it:
"The ghost soon became one of the most recognizable and most imitated logos in popular culture."
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/19/arts/michael-c-gross-who-designed-the-ghostbusters-logo-dies-at-70.html?_r=0

Its ok Solo4114, your explanation was perfect, and he obviously knows you beat him, hence the stupid picture/deflect of the T-shirt. Im surprised more people didnt give him crap, especially on this forum. Take a look at this forum. How many Ghostbuster projects are there vs Marvel AND Star Wars? :lol
Again, you seem to be confusing fandom with cultural relevance. I've made note of the difference multiple times. It's not THAT hard of a concept to grasp, is it? :lol

...and the crew shirt is totally on-topic with this thread. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The GB logo is just behind the Coca-Cola logo as I recall in terms of global recognition. That was from a blurb around the time of the 09 Video Game.
What he said!

Here's another fun pic-- Braeden suffers from a birth defect called Bronchial Malacia, and wanted to be a Ghostbuster. The For The Win charitable organization made it happen. Apparently there's a movie trailer coming shortly!

Last edited:
Thank Chuck!

Again, I was referring to widespread cultural relevance amongst the general pop-- not the fandom. Yes, SW fandom is way larger than GB. This is obvious. Flash the GB logo to most anyone ages 25-75, and chances are very high they'll know exactly what it is. How many poor landscapers wearing leaf blowers on their back have to hear "hurf, durf, GHOSTBUSTERS!"? The imagery is imbued within our society.

Of course, cultural significance isn't something that's easily measured. Unless I"m missing something, I can't think of any usable metrics aside from large-scale polling.

On a more fun topic, here's a fun crew shirt with cartoons of the pesky canine Mr. M. Hat, drawn by the four new GBs. I really dig McKinnon's illustration style!

http://i.imgur.com/v0ZPn3W.jpg?1
More reboot crap?! I thought Suicide Squad just killed Feigbusters over the weekend. Harley Quinn opened up a can of whoop *ss on the Feigbusters.......whom I remember Feig saying they were "badass". Yeah, right.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/...squad-grosses-one-weekend-ghostbusters-month/

- - - Updated - - -

What he said!

Here's another fun pic-- Braeden suffers from a birth defect called Bronchial Malacia, and wanted to be a Ghostbuster. The For The Win charitable organization made it happen. Apparently there's a movie trailer coming shortly!

http://static1.squarespace.com/stat...289/t/57a663d43e00beb95af1ed23/1470522332175/
Keep on deflecting the argument........nothing like switching the topic when you are on the losing end. I see a lot of deflecting topics and arguments on GB Fans too.

More reboot crap?! I thought Suicide Squad just killed Feigbusters over the weekend.
So you're complaining that we're discussing GB16 on the GB16 thread? Anyway, a DC movie outperforming a GB movie at the BO during the summer movie season is nothing new. See Summer 1989. I somehow managed to enjoy both GB2 and BATMAN at the time.

Keep on deflecting the argument........nothing like switching the topic when you are on the losing end. I see a lot of deflecting topics and arguments on GB Fans too.
How was I deflecting? I'm all for keeping the cultural relevance discussion going. Personally, I can handle more than one topic at a time. You? Feel free to add to the conversation. :)

Last edited:
anyone want to take bets on when dan lost it?

"Thanks to CHV drinkers who helped put Ghostbusters over $150M in worldwide sales! People love this funny non-violent alternative for families."
I literally laughed out loud in a sad way when i saw a crystal head vodka in the Pixels movie.

So you're complaining that we're discussing GB16 on the GB16 thread? Anyway, a DC movie outperforming a GB movie at the BO during the summer movie season is nothing new. See Summer 1989.

How was I deflecting? I'm all for keeping the cultural relevance discussion going. Personally, I can handle more than one topic at a time. You? Feel free to add to the conversation. :)
Suicide Squad out performed Feigbusters because Feigbusters sucked. Plain and simple. Suicide Squad fit the bill for a summer movie. And there was no reason why Feigbusters couldn't have made $100 million during its opening weekend other than being Feigbusters.

Alright then, back to cultural significance. I think Neil T is right. Other than the song, the logo, "Who you gonna call", and occasional Venkman quotes, that seems to be it for GB cultural relevance. Hell, since Feigbusters started using "Who you gonna call?" in their marketing campaign, I feel like punching people that say that to us when we are in costume. It is downright cringe-worthy now.

Last edited:
anyone want to take bets on when dan lost it?

"Thanks to CHV drinkers who helped put Ghostbusters over $150M in worldwide sales! People love this funny non-violent alternative for families."
I literally laughed out loud in a sad way when i saw a crystal head vodka in the Pixels movie.
Danny Boy has been drinking too much of his own vodka. The last time I checked shooting Rowan in the balls/dick/groin qualifies as violence. But who knows, Danny Boy could be happy because he cashed in his royalties check before Feigbusters was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back