Gerry Anderson - UFO TV Series - Shado Pistol replica build

Those castings look really smooth. Even better than the first pull I think.

I was looking at screen photos and noticed that the part of the barrel visible in the top middle of the gun has grooves in it like the flash hider. Is that one of the things you'd like to "fix"?

Why is it that toys of guns from many TV shows, look nothing like the screen guns? Unlicenced maybe? Even many licenced products bear little resemblance to the originals.

Why is it that toys of guns from many TV shows, look nothing like the screen guns? Unlicenced maybe? Even many licenced products bear little resemblance to the originals.
Always bothered me as well. The old Star Trek disc shooter I had as a kid was sheer fantasy of sheer fantasy!
I assume it's the "name" that sells instead of the product, and kids are happy with 'anything'! ...aren't they??:unsure

Those castings look really smooth. Even better than the first pull I think.

I was looking at screen photos and noticed that the part of the barrel visible in the top middle of the gun has grooves in it like the flash hider. Is that one of the things you'd like to "fix"?

If you have screen caps - please send them to me! I don't have anything that has grooves in it. One of the real problems is that you see different details in different screen shots. There is more than one type of pistol and some details vary. Nothing is worse than getting through a build only to have new screen caps or details be revealed. :confused :cry

Now - production art - props - and costumes are documented in detail and sometimes added on to art books or DVD's - unfortunately UFO was mostly documented after the fact and by fans. If I got accurate blueprints that were all inclusive and complete I would build it that way.

But I must say - there is not as much response as i thought. The expense of re-building and re-molding a new UFO pistol might not be worth the trouble and expense. Although I learned a lot - this final product is a lot better than I first thought. I cut up one cast to make a short flash hider and I love it.

I am going to use up these molds - and I am going through resin like mad. I am going to build a HERO UFO pistol - but I wonder if it is worth casting it. I am going to build the rifles for my collection - but at present - there will be less than ten UFO pistols kits to make it out of my hands. Once these molds are no longer usable - I doubt it would be worth it to recast the original. The UFO pistol project may evaporate into oblivion. The ones who end up with kits from the TEST run might be the ONLY ones with the UFO pistol ever. :confused

Gordon

Hi Gordon,
I think Peter is refering to this pic. Most of the shots of the pistol are angled and don't show the grooves, but this side shot does. I was going to put a piece of chrome tape on mine for the proper metallic look. It shouldn't be too hard to add the grooves to the tape or metal piece installed. Certainly not enough to retool the entire pistol over!
Looking forward to mine!
Cheers, Jeff

Yeah Jeff that photo does show it. I am not at home so have no access to much of my stuff or I'd try to find a better shot of it.

That having been said Gordon, I don't think it would be too hard to add the detail while doing the finishing on your great casting. I think it looks good anyway but when you said you'd like to redo it, I wondered was there some detail you wanted to include.

Grew up on all the Gerry Anderson shows , cant remember the pistol very well but a real nice job on it there :eek:) I think i was watching the moonbase girls more !

Skydiver was my favorite ship/ sub in the show and loved the mobile too , had the dinky toy versions as a kid .

Grew up on all the Gerry Anderson shows , cant remember the pistol very well but a real nice job on it there :eek:) I think i was watching the moonbase girls more !

Skydiver was my favorite ship/ sub in the show and loved the mobile too , had the dinky toy versions as a kid .

I was going to mold a Life cast of Lt Ellis as a display for the pistol. She would be on display .... ah ... holding the pistol ..:love

G

Last edited:
Well the Ebay ad is winding down. A lot of watchers - about 190 hits. No bids. They keep waiting for the price to drop. The only thing that is going to drop is the Ad. Only about ten kits will be produced, including those in my own collection. I am keeping two. Seven sold without trying. I reserved one for the Ebay sale. I may keep that one also and do a modified build.

I don't recommend anyone else trying a UFO Pistol build - unless you want to give it away at a loss. :thumbsdown I am still going to build the rifles and a scratch pistol build for my Prop weapon collection. Photos will be posted - but producing resin kits would be a risky endeavor for a huge investment in molding. I don't know if it is my build - or the fan base just is not there. :confused

Acutally after I pulled a kit and built it - I loved it more than ever. I shortened the flash hider and she looks MEAN !! :angry :love I will post pics after the final coats of paint are on.

Gordon

It ain't over til the purple wigged lady sings! 190's a great # of hits, it shows that there's interest, just maybe not the cash flow!
I feel their pain!
Still glad I got in on this, and hope to see the rifles take shape soon!
Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

The UFO weapons project will continue. The UFO weapons will be built and added to my Sci Fi Armory. Photos will be added to this thread.

I have learned so much from the kind people at the RPF - I was able to scratch build a prototype and kit. The UFO pistol was a dream UFO fan project and worth every second of effort.

Gordon

Nothing wrong with the casting. UFO never had the profile of BSG and was some time ago. Maybe a lot of people just have never heard of it. I know a bunch of people who liked UFO but not to the extent of wanting a piece of it (or any show for that matter).

Well the Ebay ad is winding down. A lot of watchers - about 190 hits. No bids. They keep waiting for the price to drop. The only thing that is going to drop is the Ad.

I don't know if it is my build - or the fan base just is not there. :confused

Well,

Just a quick update. I modified a pistol cast and cut down the flash hider. I also wanted to do a quick paint test - there are some tiny air holes in some of the casts, but a single coat of paint reveals the flaws and a little putty, minor sanding, and it becomes a tight little prop.

The silver paint on the flash hider worked fine. SEE ATTAHCED pics:

Gordon

Thanks for the support guys !!!!

Kev thanks for the Tech Help!!!!! :love I own like .... twelve .... of Kev's Star Trek Kits !!! Rifles Pistols and comms!!! They are the pride off my collection!

PAINT: Valspar Sealer/primer, Satin Black, Metalic silver, - spray paints - for wood, metal, and plastics. LOWES or Home Depot.

Future projects will include: SEE Attached :love

Gordon

Last edited:
For those wo do not know what GERRY ANDERSON UFO TV series is - here are a couple of links. :love

YouTube - ‪UFO - TV Series - Opening Sequence‬‏

YouTube - ‪UFO - TV Series - Behind The Scenes‬‏

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JVx6lfMru8&feature=related

UFO Series Home Page - "UFO" TV series from 1970

I am getting some tech help from the KEV to build a permanant wooden pour box. There are not SHORTCUTS - only painful do overs - my suggestion is do the work up front. :confused

Gordon

UFO series Pistol - retooling in progress. I ran into a little trouble learning to seal the mold. The KEV was kind enough to pass on his vast knowledge and use a light coat of baby powder to release the spots, get rid of the trapped air and create a smooth end product.

I will be upgrading on of the pistol eith more details. If anyone has any more screen shoots, now is the time to post them !!! :love

Thanks all.

Gordon

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back