General Doctor Whoniverse Discussion

Well, I didn't say that I definitely saw it :) Sorry to get your hopes up.

But when I was watching it, even before I knew Rose was coming back, it looked exactly like she was turning into Rose.

So...
He's called the "War Doctor", and now we know where he fits. Right where everyone thought he did, the one regeneration we never saw... between McCann and Eccelston.

I'm a bit disappointed.

First let me get this out of the way: while I consider myself a Doctor Who fan, I haven't seen much of the new series. Like many, Tom Baker and Peter Davison (and even Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann (I watched that first run and taped it) to an extent although my interest had already waned). I've seen some Eccleston, Tenant and Smith - but, mostly it's been on in the background to fill time as I did other things. In all honestly what I saw of Smith kinda bugged me.

That all changed when I saw in the Name of the Doctor - while I didn't know a whole lot about the current mythos, I was really intrigued and even excited. Who was this new Doctor? What's this all about... John Hurt is great and Doctor Who was really cool again for me. (Even with all that, I still haven't caught up on those old episodes - I did try again with series 1, but just not digging Eccleston's Doctor and now, well I'm still in season 2 of Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey series 4 is calling my name next).

I am anxiously looking forward to the big gala presentation of The Day of the Doctor and this spoils it for me. I wanted this mystery solved in that episode, I wanted more. Although I am perfectly happy with this explanation, I think it belonged in the 50th Anniversary episode - not some 7-minute web episode.

I'm still going to watch, but part of the magic is gone for me. I get the excitement for Tennant and Smith (and Hurt) gallivanting together... but, to me it was more about the mystery of Hurt's Doctor.

I see your point completely, however, I read an interview with Steven Moffat and he stated that one of the things he wanted to bring to the 50th was the regeneration we never saw, Paul Mcganns, and perhaps putting a regeneration scene at the beginning of Day Of The Doctor would really confuse things? I do think there is still a hell of a lot we are going to learn about The War Doctor, and why he does what he ultimately does and even how he does it. I would be interested to see if Night Of The Doctor is screened again before Day Of The Doctor on the 23rd. I was just blown away to see McGann back in the role, and I still hope one day we will see more of his Doctor, either in a multi-Doctor story or in some kind of one off specials.

Well of course because of the way they did it, there is now another regeneration we haven't seen yet.

Last edited:
Would really love a poster of this:

tumblr_mwg4f3Yc3l1qk6mq4o1_500.jpg

Well it's still the same regeneration that we hadn't seen before now... we haven't seen 8 regenerate into 9. That hasn't changed. Remember Moffat stated that the War Doctor doesn't call himself The Doctor... so his number doesn't change the numbering of the Doctors. We haven't seen John Hurt regen into Chris Eccleston, just as previously we hadn't seen Paul McGann regen into Eccleston (now, for good reason).

So the "missing regeneration" is the same one... only the beginning point of it has changed.

I just finished An Adventure in Space & Time this minute. You guys are my support system tonight, since everyone else here is in bed.

I am absolutely floored by how much this drama has affected me. The entire thing just sucked me in, more than I ever thought it could. I know that this thing wasn't a word for word 'documentary' of the events of the time, but seeing how this show that we all love & seem to take ownership of, overcame all the obstacles in it's way to not only get on the air, but survive til today was amazing.

I can't say enough about David Bradley as William Hartnell. To see the way the role was more than just a job to him, made me think of the commitment that actors like Tom Baker & Tennant are known for. It was good to see that the tradition seemed to start with him.

I won't say any more about it now, til a few more have seen it, & I won't discuss any spoilers, but I have to share this-

When the one particular Doctor's final line was quoted at the fireplace, I almost welled up a little, & then the cameo...& I was done. My brain was telling me,'You shouldn't be liking this!', but I was. Some of you may know the feeling, but I was sitting in front of the TV with both a tear in my eye & a HUGE grin on my face. It made me say to myself, "Yep...you made a good decision to be a fan of this show.".

- - - Updated - - -

what i wonder, did they get someone who looks exactly like hartnell, or is this recorded material from years ago?

I believe the last scene of the 'Farewell to Susan' speech was Hartnell, but everything else was David Bradley.

Last edited:
I was a little nervous when I saw that "Adventure" was written by Mark Gatiss but that was just a great piece. The end is just heart wrenching though, and damn that was a cool cameo. If they ever do decide to film new stuff featuring the First Doctor they can't go wrong having David Bradley play him. I'd pay good money for that I think.

Last edited:
"I don't want to go" was what tipped it over the edge but let's be honest...The whole damn thing is ridiculously emotional. When the dude creates the console room - emotional. First dalek - emotional.

I'm with you Usagi. Me and the wife were puddles afterward.

It's the greatest love letter to Doctor Who ever.

Plus, the cinematography was off the charts good. The acting was beyond reproach. The score was PERFECT.

Grand slam.

An Adventure In Space & Time

Very enjoyable, great to see how the show (with help from the Daleks) gripped the nation.

The Tardis interior was beautiful, I'd really love the BEEB to return to that simplicity.

I also loved the one section of the wall had the circle pattern printed on material just like the original,.....fantastic detail

J

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back