Game of Thrones

Ok, thanks cause I recall home shipping out a while back. Then people are petyr this & that as if he was there.

Littlefinger (Petyr Baelish) and Varys are two characters that are very interesting in that they wield power from ‘behind the scenes’, so to speak, which is really the safest place to be in a world like that. Petyr, not even being at the scene, may be working as hard as anyone to influence ‘the game’, and therefore be innocent of suspicion because of it.

Todays politics are not much different.

Littlefinger (Petyr Baelish) and Varys are two characters that are very interesting in that they wield power from ‘behind the scenes’, so to speak, which is really the safest place to be in a world like that. Petyr, not even being at the scene, may be working as hard as anyone to influence ‘the game’, and therefore be innocent of suspicion because of it.

Todays politics are not much different.

There is a difference between the two though, Petyr is all about power, wealth, and influence for himself and all of his manipulations are about bettering his position in life and it's possible that he has his eyes on the Iron Throne for himself. Vaerys, on the other hand, is pretty much the opposite and has no interest in power for himself; he serves the realm and that's where his loyalties always lie. To him it doesn't matter who sits on the Iron Throne so long as Westeros is safe, stable, and prosperous; that's why he does the things he does.

There is a difference between the two though, Petyr is all about power, wealth, and influence for himself and all of his manipulations are about bettering his position in life and it's possible that he has his eyes on the Iron Throne for himself. Vaerys, on the other hand, is pretty much the opposite and has no interest in power for himself; he serves the realm and that's where his loyalties always lie. To him it doesn't matter who sits on the Iron Throne so long as Westeros is safe, stable, and prosperous; that's why he does the things he does.

That's Oh, so true! Great point!

Of course, this is all because Petyr and Varys have one glaring difference between them: Varys doesn't have a second head with which to do his thinking, whereas Petyr has always been in love with Catlyn Stark. The Purple Wedding was, for Petyr, a way to get delicious revenge on the Lannisters for the death of the only woman he ever loved.

Of course, this is all because Petyr and Varys have one glaring difference between them: Varys doesn't have a second head with which to do his thinking, whereas Petyr has always been in love with Catlyn Stark. The Purple Wedding was, for Petyr, a way to get delicious revenge on the Lannisters for the death of the only woman he ever loved.

I'm not sure that Petyr had anything to do with the Purple Wedding, as far as I can remember Petry has no idea of what happened at the Red Wedding yet, he's still at the Eryie right now plotting and scheming. I also think that Petyr is too crafty and ambitious to let his little head to do his thinking for him, he's just too intelligent for that and he'd probably be willing to sacrifice Caitlyn if it furthered his ambitions.

Last edited:
Actually, the Purple Wedding was orchestrated by Lady Olenna and Petyr Baelish.

Even though the Purple Wedding had likely been planned since Season 2 (when Margaery flat out stated that she didn't want to be a queen. She wanted to be THE queen), I believe that Petyr Baelish got in on the action for personal gain, and when the Red Wedding happened, the timetable was accelerated, as they realized that having a crazy, spoiled child for a king was Not A Good Thing, and that killing Joffrey would not only serve their political purposes, but act as retribution for the Red Wedding... a King for a King, as it were.

Actually, the Purple Wedding was orchestrated by Lady Olenna and Petyr Baelish.

Even though the Purple Wedding had likely been planned since Season 2 (when Margaery flat out stated that she didn't want to be a queen. She wanted to be THE queen), I believe that Petyr Baelish got in on the action for personal gain, and when the Red Wedding happened, the timetable was accelerated, as they realized that having a crazy, spoiled child for a king was Not A Good Thing, and that killing Joffrey would not only serve their political purposes, but act as retribution for the Red Wedding... a King for a King, as it were.

Petry most definitely got into the whole thing for personal gain, I believe that he was the one who set everything in motion and was the key instigator of the whole civil war; he threw all of Westeros into turmoil just to serve his ambition. Whether he initiated this all on his own or he's in cahoots with others like the Tyrells is debatable but I feel he's the one behind it all.

I think Vary's/Illyrio have a similar goal as Petyr in creating chaos in westeros, but for different reasons. Varys may even have aided Petyr at times, with or without his knowledge

Petyr appears clearly in it for himself.

It is unclear what Vary's and Illyrio are in it for. Just a simple game to them, returning Targeryn's to rule, being an agent of Rhllor, or truley protecting the common folk and wanting to see what is best for the realm.

Yeah, guys, while the books may be old news, the show still hasn't addressed a lot of the stuff you're discussing. At least spoiler-tag it, I'd say.

We know Vary's and Illyrio are plotting something. That was shown in season 1 as overheard by Arya and with comments Varys has made to Tyrion as well as other scenes.

We know Little Finger has been plotting based on the episodes seen so far. Granted the purple wedding stuff involvement was not directly touched on by the show yet

We know Vary's and Illyrio are plotting something. That was shown in season 1 as overheard by Arya and with comments Varys has made to Tyrion as well as other scenes.

We know Little Finger has been plotting based on the episodes seen so far. Granted the purple wedding stuff involvement was not directly touched on by the show yet

Arya never overheard Varys and Tyrion. She overheard Varys when she was hiding in the dungeon by the dragon skulls but the person he was talking to was FAR too tall to be Tyrion.

I think Vary's/Illyrio have a similar goal as Petyr in creating chaos in westeros, but for different reasons. Varys may even have aided Petyr at times, with or without his knowledge

Petyr appears clearly in it for himself.

It is unclear what Vary's and Illyrio are in it for. Just a simple game to them, returning Targeryn's to rule, being an agent of Rhllor, or truley protecting the common folk and wanting to see what is best for the realm.

I don't think that Varys is interested in chaos, chaos is bad for the realm and as I have said before, what all that Varys wants is what's best for the kingdom which is why he talked to Ned Stark and had him "confess, honor be damned" because he thought/hoped it would avoid conflict between the Starks and the Crown. It's also why he's generally supportive of Tyrion, because he knows that the only Lannister that can be counted on to actually look out for the best interests of Westeros as opposed to their family, only themselves, or their children above all else is Tyrion.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back