Game of Thrones - Valar Morghulis coin

enurweb

Hi guys!

Sure you can buy the "Faceless man coin" out there on eBay over whatever but it nowhere near looks like the coin on the HBO show.

I've put up some screenshots (a bit poor quality) from Season 3 episode 10 and Season 5 epsiode 2. The coin of course seems to have changed in apperance during this time.

I for one am really interested to get my hands on one of the coins looking like a true 1:1 real prop replica.

Attachments

• VM coin 2 season 3.jpg
    VM coin 2 season 3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 201
  • VM coin 2 season 5.jpg
    VM coin 2 season 5.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 531
  • VM coin backside season 3.jpg
    VM coin backside season 3.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 119
  • VM coin backside season 5.jpg
    VM coin backside season 5.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 143
  • VM coin season 3.jpg
    VM coin season 3.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 186
  • VM coin season 5.jpg
    VM coin season 5.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 298
wolfie made a replica of the faceless man coin that was first given to aria. but it looks like they made a different one for the new season. i wonder why?

DSC08716.JPG

How big do you think the real SEASON 5 coin is? I'm thinking about something between 25 to 35mm, closer to 30mm. What do you think? I could try to sculpt one tomorrow.

Wolfie's replica is awesome. I carry one in my pocket every day. The other one you're talking about that you see on eBay is probably the Shire Post coin made by Tom Maringer. Its a coin minted just like a real coin would be and was made based on the description in the books. It predates the show by a few years. His coins are amazing.

How big do you think the real SEASON 5 coin is? I'm thinking about something between 25 to 35mm, closer to 30mm. What do you think? I could try to sculpt one tomorrow.

Sculpting seems like an awesome idea!

I have the Shire Post coin right by my side, the way too small one compared to the one on HBO. That one is just about 25mm.

If you look at how her fingers are placed, holding the coin with four fingers I would say that it's at least 35mm.
Looks like the backside is totally flat and there's also a tiny hole or something punched through.

I thought about it being 35mm when compared to my hands but... He's a girl, she has smaller hands, right? So I thought it to be 30mm, maybe 32mm (1.25")?

Fan theory question: Is it possible that the coin is in some way imbued with the same magic as that of the Faceless Men, allowing it to change appearance?

The coin in series five looks larger than 32mm certainly i would say around 40-45mm.The girl who plays that part in real life is a lot older than she looks in the series.

Maisie Williams is 18 years old, but she's pretty small. Going off of screen caps with her holding the coin could be deceiving as to its size. As for the coin itself, the books or the show never really say that its in any way magical. Its just supposed to be a plain looking iron coin.

To me the S5 coin looks like a single sided coin with the backside showing artifacts of possibly being cast from an open faced mold.

It's a single faced coin, the back is "smooth". About Massie, exactly, if she was holding a 40mm coin she would have bigger hands than me!

If anyone can manage to obtain better screenshots than I did that would help too. The episodes which I found the coin in is listed in the OP.

I am still of the opinion the coin @least the one in series 3 is larger than 32mm. To that end I quickly made one 45mm which even doubting Clarence had to admit was too big.
I then tried around 34mmDSC00408.JPGDSC00406.JPG I am happy that around 34mm is the correct size although I am prepared to admit I am wrong if ever the correct size is known.

Last edited:
So I received my coin from Wolfies. It looks really good judging by its size, also love the weight it has. Think they pretty much nailed the season 3 coin.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back