Game of Thrones - Brynden "Blackfish" Tully build

Finding a way to reduce the mantle is the hardest part of this entire build.
After trying to find ways to reduce the total number of plates in a row, I ultimately decided to cut by hand (with scissors) each plate so it was narrower at the top than the bottom, creating a circle instead of a tube. It is exceptionally painful, both literally and figuratively. My hand is killing me, and I consider stopping every day. I'm at the point where I have to weigh how little I can work on this in a given day against how many days I have left to finish. And I still don't know if this is even going to work or not.

Haven't even started on the resin cast yet. Might not get to it before my deadline. It'd be great, but it is significantly less important than having the armor complete.

Thank god I only have to do this once.

KRLHhc0.jpg

The mantle is finally mocked up! My god, that was a ride. I need to adjust rows 4 and 5 so they sit strqight, and I'lll do that when I take the whole thing apart to dye it.
Dyeing will take place tomorrow, and I will be prepping the leather the rest of the week. I should be able to put the whole thing back together this weekend. Which leaves me all of next week to work on the resin cast, and another week of the deadline to work on anything that crops up. (Probably adding buckles to the vest, adding a button to the mantle, fading the cloth pieces, rolling around in the dirt with the whole thing. Little pieces that won't take long)

Let me know what you think!
Michael

Thanks otter. I have definitely passed through the fire. Two weeks left to do the skall stuff? Shouldn't be a problem.

I dismantled (hah) yesterday and dyed last night. Oiled last night and again this morning and starting the grueling process of sealing each with beeswax (about 2-3 minutes per plate.) and as I seal two rows, I'll piece them back in. Try to keep the rows from getting mixed up.

Still have to learn how to resin cast...

Re: Game of Thrones - Brynden "Blackfish" Tully build

vLLAU78.jpg

Check it! Armor is complete!

Well, qualified. Still need to add buckles and stuff, but it's really happening!

Now, I have two weeks to make a resin cast.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and some of the leather didn't take the dye, despite extra soaking in the vinegaroon. I'm deciding it looks authentic, and not bad. Don't tell me otherwise.

Okay. I sat down and made my first attempt at Clay sculpting. Then my first attempt at resin casting.

Here's what we've got.
oELJQIZ.jpg
nWJvXKS.jpg

I am not happy with the outcome. I couldn't have asked for a better clay outcome from a professional (though the fish is too skinny. Not a big deal) but when I tried to cast, the epoxy resin I'm using bubbled up like mad. I'm not sure what's causing it, but the end result is grotesque. It looks like I tried to make it out of marshmallow fluff. It's lumpy and just terrible. I tries sandpaper but it mostly just opened up the bubbles, which left little craters instead.

I read online someone suggested heating up the mold first, which I will try in a moment. I made a second one to see if it was a fluke and it was even worse. Tries spray painting that one to see if it would cover but it really accentuated the terrain features in the piece.

I've not given up, but I probably only have 2-3 more runs left before this clay mold deforms too much that I'll need to fix it, and that sounds like a pain. I bought mold making stuff as well, so when I got one good one, I can make a master mold from it. I just need one.

Heating the clay gave me fewer, but larger, bubbles. It's a toss up between which one is less terrible.

Is there a different kind of resin I should be using? Either this stuff is terrible or I really have no idea what I'm doing

Alright, I'm giving some regular old epoxy I had laying around a shot. It says resin on it, so I figure it shouldn't be too different. It's clear drying, 20 minute working time, 30 minute cure. I'll report back in an hour. So far, many less bubbles.

Also, I used a good amount of the "Mold Release" spray, in the hopes the regular epoxy doesn't epoxy itself in place for good. Would hate to ruin my mold over this.

Final update tonight.

The epoxy cast worked. It's still a bit soft, and I'm hoping that sorts out overnight, but it is beautiful. No bubbles in the face, very few in the cast itself (not that I actually care, it's getting spray paint). God, it turned out so well. It turned out about as well as I would have expected it to turn out if I paid a professional for it. I could not be happier with the result. I was really afraid to push forward with it, but it was a success.

It absolutely destroyed the clay original when I removed it. It's unrecognizable now. But that's fine, as I've used the stuff I bought to make a master mold now, so if anyone's ever looking for the Tully logo, you know where to find me.

And with a week and a half left in my deadline, I have no idea what to do with my time.

What do I do with my time?

God, it turned out so well. It turned out about as well as I would have expected it to turn out if I paid a professional for it. I could not be happier with the result. I was really afraid to push forward with it, but it was a success.

And with a week and a half left in my deadline, I have no idea what to do with my time.

What do I do with my time?

Congrats! For future attempts, try pouring the resin from a pretty good height in as small a stream as possible, and keep the pour in one spot, letting it spread out to the rest of the mold - that should keep bubbles to a minimum. (If you can build a small vacuum chamber, you can use it to suck all the air out of the resin after you pour it.)

As for the rest of your time, here's a larger shot of the Blackfish:

]http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/33600000/got-game-of-thrones-33606820-500-700.png

He's got gloves, sword/belt, and some sort of armored jacket under the scales...

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips.

I have the gloves, chainmaille, and I am using a gambeson in place of the leather he has going to his knees.

I actually have all of the pieces. Some of them still need some work. Buckles to close the armor, lighten the fabric, and paint the sigil. But holy crap, it's happening

Oh, and I'm skipping the sword belt. No need to bring a sword to a convention. I don't have time to get a good one with my budget, and ditto belt.

11143320_10204212643184126_4867257994392499787_n.jpg

Here's the final product.
I have some tweaks I'm going to do. Mostly with the chainmaille.
Also, the thing is impossible to sit in, with the mantle on, and I have to hold my breath to raise my arm high enough to take a drink.

Clearly this armor was not designed for combat.

Sorry I missed the last two posts - I just saw the pic you posted on Armour Archive. Very, very cool. (And I could totally see Brynden wearing those shades, just to tick off Edmure.)

Hey otter! I'm glad you like the result. I'm very proud of how it all came together, and I think it holds to the original spirit very well, while introducing actual, historically plausible and combat functional elements that were missing in the original.

I'm pleased to announce that I am doing another. My buddy and I have determined that I do not look like Brynden, and I have decided to let him wear the Blackfish (to my dismay) and build myself an Edmure cosplay. It's going to be significantly easier, since I don't have to make the mantle, and we already have figured out the rest. It's just a matter of bringing it all together at this point.

I love having stuff to build!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back