Game of Thrones - Brynden "Blackfish" Tully build

I wanted to believe there was an easier way (and there might be, with better planning) but since Im a telecommuter (my office is at my house) I can sit in meetings all day and punch holes, so Im at least making good use of my time, even if it is tedious.

Nice. Well, the inconvenient way that works is better than the convenient way that goes fubar.

Well, my over engineered design had one benefit, it would maximize the space. When I redesigned I didn't realize it would cause the scales to overlap almost exactly twice as much as before, causing a need for almost exactly twice as many scales.

I've already punched out 200 of these. I feel like I am past the point of no return. I can make it shorter and cut out a need for a couple hundred and just expand it next year to the proper length, but it looks like I still need to order, cut, and punch another 300-400.

It's not impossible, this work is going faster than I anticipated, and I don't have to wait for another box to just get as far as I can with what I have, but it is disheartening and a bit scary to think Im going to all this work, and it may not even work out by the time I need to be wearing it.

So, after some thought, I came to a solution.

I will use the top four holes of the ones ive already punched, and punch a new four holes, stretching out the design so it makes use of the scale. This results in the scales giving me an extra half inch of the original 1 inch exposed area.

So if 600 scales would have given me 24 inches, they will now give me 36. Quite a bit of improvement, and I can still use half the holes Ive already punched.

Not a perfect solution, and I may still be tight on leather near the end, but at least it wasn't a waste of 200 scales, and it will only take me about a day and a half off track.

Solution, go!

Glad you found a workaround. Will the "spare" holes be visible? If so , you can still lace them for decoration's sake, without their actually doing anything.

Last edited:
The spare holes will not be visible!

I wouldn't have done this if they would have been showing. I couldn't do that. I'd start from scratch first.

The biggest consolation for me is knowing that the armor will be lighter with all these extra holes punched out, but that's not much consolation. My hand hurts!

Phew! Big day!

I decided to power through as much as I could (and my hand is doing surprisingly well).
So I've punched the extra 4 holes in all 200+ I had already punched with the incorrect spacing, and I've also punched about another 60 out of blanks. So I'm not only caught back up, but I've made some progress, sitting at 260/600.

Ultimately, I will most likely need to cut some more blanks (I have enough leather for probably 150 more) but with the changes I've made, I'm confident I can make this work. The whole thing will be about 4 inches shorter than I envisioned (ending about 3 inches below my waist line, as opposed to 3 inches above the knee, like the original) but I can add rows after the fact, in preparation for next year.

Chainmaille is on the way, my black shirt still sits at 95% complete, Leather is up to about 25% overall completion, need to order gloves.
Oh, and Vinegaroon is brewing. Should be ready by the time I have all 600 blanks cut. Then spend a day dying and treating the leather, and finally start lacing the whole thing together! Maybe two weeks from now and I should be seeing something near completion (Cutting more blanks, punching the holes, and dying will set me back, but I should have plenty of time for that. 5 weeks left, today!)

Update:
425 of 600 punched
Vinegaroon is almost ready.

I can't work on the costume at all this weekend (drill weekend with the reserves), but Monday I think K will start dying them. My friend is coming over in the afternoon, so how ever many more I can punch before he shows up, it how many Ill be dying Monday. Then soda bath, rinse, left to dry for about 30m, and then oil, and beeswax treatment. Because if Im going to make actual armor, I guess I'll treat it like actual armor.

I am making this so hard on myself.

Oh! The chainmaille showed up today! It's flat ring, round rivet, alternating solid ring, all of which is my least desireable of the options, but it is riveted chainmaille, the perfect size, and the sleeves are close enough length. It'll do! And it was a good price!

Well, I punched the rest of the leather plates, and went ahead and gave the vinegaroon a shot

My friend came over and helped, and we ran out of vinegaroon about 400 in, so I need to put together another batch of vinegaroon for the rest.
Then we did a soda bath, rinse, and dry for about 45m. Then we oiled while theft were still damp. Took us about 2.5 hours to dye, rinse, wait and oil each plate, for a total of about 400.

Here's the result, set out to finish drying. I'll do another layer of oil, then beeswax solution tomorrow, then I start the build while I wait for another batch of vinegaroon to brew.
ADSCfyY.jpg

Cheers!

And we did the vinegaroon in stacks, so the coverage wasn't perfect. The only spots that didn't get covered are going to be hidden by overlapping layers

I'm not sure what it's intended to be made of in the show. My knee-jerk is Leather, but his nephew, Edmure Tully has a similar sigil, presumably the same material, but it's shiny blue and ... brass?
View attachment 479355

Looks like a metal plaque to me.

They don't really make much of it on the show, but Edmure would be socially higher than Brendyn, despite his younger age. Edmure was the heir to Hoster Tully's Lordship, while Brendyn was only a knight. So it's entirely possible that the Blackfish's sigil would have been leather because he might not have been able to afford anything better, while Edmure would be able to afford the higher quality stuff.

While you're correct about their social status, that a pretty reductive view of their family. Their words are "family, duty, honor". Family is first, and for good reason. I think it's much more likely that they would all have uniform sigils (much like their uniform family armor). Additionally, blackfish chose to paint his black, when he chose exile from the family. I think it was intended that blackfish's sigil originally looked like the rest, until he painted it himself.

Also otter, the plates are pretty well uniform. The differences in color you're seeing are from oiling. Some plates were thirstier than others and so the oil hadn't been soaked up by all the plates, leaving some looking wet and glossy, and therefore darker, for the picture.

There is some variation, just not as much as it looks in that photo

Four coats of linseed oil, and a beeswax finish.
I'm applying the wax in groups of 90, then adding them to the armor. The rows are 30 plates wide, sp every day I'll add 3 rows. It'll be about 6 days before the chest armor is done, then I get to work on designing the mantle.

IAbPGZ0.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0074.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 121
Whoo! Gambeson and pants shipped!

Making some good progress on the armor, as well. Need to dye and oil some more, and make another batch as I will probably need to cut more plates. I'll post more pictures when the gambeson comes in, and I finish the body portion of the armor

oYTrJQc.jpg

As you can see, things are really coming along.
I have a long way to go, still. Need to finish the mantle, which requires me to design a way to do that. Then make the plaque, fade the clothes, and fasten the armor.

I think it really is looking good.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back