Game of Thrones Arya catspaw dagger buying options?

jheilman

Sr Member
Been a fan of this dagger for a while, and even more after the latest GoT episode. I know Valyriansteel.com made a licensed replica, but it was limited and now discontinued. They go for about $800 on ebay! Too rich for my budget. There are many sellers of 3D printed and resin replicas around the interwebs. I'm looking for anyone's recommendation of either a finished replica or kit to buy that is the most accurate to the original. Looking on etsy, there are a few, but accuracy doesn't seem to be a priority. OK for cosplay, but not for me. Thanks.

I'm on the same boat as you. And I hate to say but I think we're just out of luck.

I considered buying one from Valyrian Steel a few weeks ago when they still had some left, but it made more financial sense to wait until May at the moment... and now they're gone. They really should make another run considering how important that prop has become over the years. After all, they released a second damascus Longclaw when Jon Snow became king in the North.

There are stainless steel versions of that dagger available out there if you're interested in those. Not the same as the damascus one, but they exist.

Just sounds like I should have bought one when available. Or maybe 2 and then sold the second for 3X the purchase price and came out ahead. I found a resin kit that looks pretty good for $35. I could probably make an aluminum blade for it. But replicating that Valyrian steel look would be impossible for me. May not matter really. Can't see that pattern on TV anyway. If they did a new release for the same price as their original, I'd jump on it.

Valyrian Steel just announced they're going to release another edition after all. Just like with Longclaw.

They're apparently considering making either a cheap stainless steel alternative or a high end damascus edition with a scabbard that could cost up to 800 dollars. So good and bad news. It's nice to hear they'll be reissuing the prop, but something in between those two options would be the ideal. I would personally never go for a regular steel version of a Valyrian weapon, but a price so high it even tops their own damascus swords seems a bit nuts for a much smaller dagger, even with the scabbard. Beats paying that on ebay for the original version though.

I hope they will try to make the blade pattern more accurate on the second run. The damascus type pattern on theirs looks nothing like the on-screen blade.

In the meantime their foam version of the dagger is still available directly and from Amazon sellers.

maybe you might wanna hit up board member sandbagger, he makes his own custom knives and his work is excellent... :)

For reference, this is the screen-used prop as featured in an article from Entertainment Weekly last month, compared to the Valyrian Steel first run replica:

catspaw_blades.jpg

The replica is far from accurate, but there are things to like. Their damascus pattern doesn't bother me, I find it more aesthetically pleasing than the original. I also like the sturdy look of the dagger. The handle ornaments though are too sleek, which gives the prop too much of a modern 'factory made' look, like something you'd find in sci-fi rather than in a Medieval fantasy story. And then there's the 'dragonbone' handle, which has this plastic feel in the replica that gives it a toyish look.

But it is cool looking, and still the closest one out there. When they make the new edition, personally I'd rather have them focus on improving the handle than the blade (if anyone from Valyrian is reading this, please consider it!). Especially if they plan on charging a small fortune for it.

I hope they will try to make the blade pattern more accurate on the second run. The damascus type pattern on theirs looks nothing like the on-screen blade.

In the meantime their foam version of the dagger is still available directly and from Amazon sellers.
Agreed, the on-screen version has lines running perpendicular to the blade. I 3D printed a fair version and will try to replicate that look.

Edit: Oops... just saw the photo above my reply...Nevermind

Attachments

• 49FA4461-91B7-4E3E-81BE-55AE36AF4640.jpeg
    49FA4461-91B7-4E3E-81BE-55AE36AF4640.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 258
Re-issue up for pre-order. Looks the same as the "Catspaw", now named "Arya's Blade". Instead of wall mount, comes w/stand & acrylic case (Reminds me of the original Master Replica lightsaber cases. Also map of Westeros on mirror case base.)

Another option might be IFX Studio, I worked up the blade for them a while ago and it may be available now. Separate blade, gems, damascus pattern, etc, modeled off of the screenused on display in LA at the time (last pic).

*(full disclosure I'm just the modeler, not involved with his project otherwise)

0801 arya blade.png

71945344_701685357001927_7421067969767145472_n.jpg

Reference from exhibit:
arya screen grab.png

Think I will pull the trigger on a damascus catspaw dagger. Then maybe drybrush the handle to make it look less like plastic. Would also like to remove the text from the blade.

Damascus dagger arrived today. Very nice, but VERY clean. I do wish they had taken the extra step to add some weathering to make it feel like an ancient weapon.
Arya01.jpg

Arya02.jpg

Damascus dagger arrived today. Very nice, but VERY clean. I do wish they had taken the extra step to add some weathering to make it feel like an ancient weapon.

Interesting to see the Damascus pattern is the same as the previous version, which may be inaccurate, but I like. I wonder if the Arya name typo is unique to your blade or common in all of them?

Also shocking to see that it's number 152. I would've expected them to sell a lot more of them by now (it may be random, but previous Damascus editions were shipping numbers that reflected pretty well how far along the edition sales were). I guess people really didn't like that last season. All the better though, I don't have the money for this right now, but I may in the future if it lasts.

are there other big reference pictures of this dagger?
I made some searches and screenshots of it, especially 4k videos, this is a thing it should be funny to make with a friend I found back after many years.
Also, what is size of original one, not replica?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back